Shades of Gray

Thank you. :(

TJ, your pity parties are the best bests pity parties. Whine away, you've got a pretty good reason to.

Reactions: jldeleon
Man, I almost remember TJ's last pitty party. I still feel a little twing of guilt. That weekend put to shame any frat party. I hope those pictures of it have finally been buried for good.

Well, the picture are hidden away, for now, but don't make me bring them back out! The scars, on the other foot, or both feet, are terrible. :(

Matt, can we get a crying smiley?

Well, Nick and i actually spoke this time! Jason's clinic was cool, and meeting fellow brs'ers and LPJ over a beer made it even better. I also ran 2 miles in huaraches (The longest and most minimal combined in my recovery phase). Spoiler alert: it felt great, save the aggravated shin splints i had from yesterday's shod run. Migangelo was kind enough to hold the back of the pack with me 'til my turn around point for my shorty run.

P.S. Best part of being the injured, recovery runner on the shortened route? First one to the beer table!

Big picture is that you have to do what you have to do for you.

I, hell, most of the folks that run barefoot, encourage new folks who want to run minimalist to learn totally barefoot first before using the shoes.

You've done that. You know what is or is not, good form.

Go forth and run minimally shod. Smile and wave at the foolish barefoot runners!

Running is supposed to not only be fun, but be good for you so go out and enjoy!

Cheers.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
dude, its hard enough dealing with those injuries and the mental stress you have. dont make it worse by adding another layer of misery telling yourself youre not living up to some imaginary ideal. let your feet heel and run however lets you feel comfortable and have fun. give the barefooting a break, then maybe try to ease it back in again in a while if you feel so inclined.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Lomad it was nice actually meeting you last night. Mike and I went and had a beer with Jason after everybody left. Was nice to be able to pick his brain a little.

aww, man! that's awesome. That would have been cool, but I had to get home. It was rad to see all the guys reppin' "those crazy Jesus sandals" last night. I think that, overall, bfr/minimal running was represented pretty well last night. The huaraches definitely got a lot of attention and conversation to be sure!

See, my time overseas made me see more shades of grey. I came back with deep feelings of guilt over the death of a non-combatant. At the time we thought he was a combatant. When I forced myself to realize the grey area, I was able to deal with it better. Remember, shoes are tools, like your weapon. Hopefully you don't need them, but when you do need them, don't hesitate to use them.

For me NSDR, I've always had a higher, um, protector sort of mentality despite having always been a little guy. We started a bunch of schools over there, and then the Taliban went and kidnapped 12 teachers from some of the schools. We had a person come to FOB and tell us about it. My squad volunteered to check it out but we were told no we needed three sources to confirm. A week later another guy came and told us about it, again we volunteered and were shot down. We got a third about a week after that and the guy told us all the teachers were dead and laying in a ravine, one of the men was his brother, this time we were sent out to recover their bodies. We started these schools and should have protected these people. Seeing the women spit at us and cry and drag their dead loved ones off by one arm as we returned the bodies leaves a lot of guilt. No wonder the insurgents numbers have only grown over there. I fought to get my squad and platoon to go, but the chain of command thought it would be best to wait. Total BS. Sorry for the morbidity of this post, I don't usually talk about this stuff much.

Sorry for the morbidity of this post, I don't usually talk about this stuff much.

No need to apologize. Most of us who were on the ground have some of these stories. But I think what you said right there is it- you need to. I hear what you are saying and understand how you feel, but would strongly encourage you to seek some services to help you move forward. I did not want to at first, but you gotta do it for your loved ones.

No need to apologize. Most of us who were on the ground have some of these stories. But I think what you said right there is it- you need to. I hear what you are saying and understand how you feel, but would strongly encourage you to seek some services to help you move forward. I did not want to at first, but you gotta do it for your loved ones.

Agreed.

NSDR, I have seen a couple of different counselors for this and other events. One of the problem's is the VA isn't very accommodating for scheduling timeframes and I can't ask my wife to take a half day off every week to watch our son just so I can go, we can't afford that. I accept that this happened and is part of my history, but I will in no way accept that it was right. I will always feel a regret that I should have fought the chain of command more to try to convince them to let us go. It is what it is and I can't change it. I can only try to learn to live with it, and for the most part I have. I am much calmer and happier now than I was 6 years ago when I got out. Anyhow, lets get back to happier subjects. :D

and we guilted him into running bare with those lovely short shorts.

and that's why you're always in the dog house with your women. i notice things so that it helps me pay complements to women. they love it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7