Running without gadgets

I feel soooooooo stupid!
I bet you do. I've only done that once or twice and was lucky enough to have pulled up last second and caught it with the ball of my foot instead of toe. I have scuffed my big toes too a couple of times, but not in a long while. I think I've become more in tune with where my appendages are and I usually am very present in my runs.

I bet you do. I've only done that once or twice and was lucky enough to have pulled up last second and caught it with the ball of my foot instead of toe. I have scuffed my big toes too a couple of times, but not in a long while. I think I've become more in tune with where my appendages are and I usually am very present in my runs.
Yah, it's never been a problem for me, probably because I've been barefooting for so long. Even as I was messing with the Garmin I knew I should stop, but got caught up in maintaining my average pace, even though the auto-pause function was on. Just dumb. 'Teenager dumb' as I like to say.

I stubbed my toe while looking at the watch. An uneven block of sidewalk. That's the first time that's happened while BFR.

You're in good company. I did that too when I first got my Bikila's. 'So light, so fast, I'm going down!' Scuffed up my palms and knee, barely catching myself from a faceplant.

Our neighborhood usually has the uneven parts ground down, so I assume that people tripping over those things is fairly common. I'm guessing that our eyes/brain have trouble detecting those subtle differences in elevation.

Hope you heal quickly!

I'm guessing that our eyes/brain have trouble detecting those subtle differences in elevation.

Hope you heal quickly!
In this case, the sidewalk block was raised a whole inch. Still, wouldn't have been any problem if I hadn't been monkeying with buttons.
Anyway, thanks, the toe feels much better today, should be running again soon. Will try the fartlek run again and see what my paces are.

You're think: "I'm an ass.". Most people in America think: "Someone's gettin' sued, I'm gettin' paid."

In this case, the sidewalk block was raised a whole inch. Still, wouldn't have been any problem if I hadn't been monkeying with buttons.
Anyway, thanks, the toe feels much better today, should be running again soon. Will try the fartlek run again and see what my paces are.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Well, after a little time off from running due to a semi-faux injury, I began again yesterday but couldn't find my Garmin 210, having misplaced it a week or two earlier. That felt good, felt right. Then today I went out to test the feet again but had found my Garmin so I took it along and ended up knowing the precise distance, but hadn't paid any attention to pace, at least not until I got home and uploaded the run's info. That also felt good. So after a couple of months of regular use, I'm downshifting a bit to semi-regular gadgetmongering. I think it will feel right. Does that mean I'm wishy-washy?

You know when Adam began this thread I had just started leaning into the point where I was uninterested in tracking my mileage. I dealt with some quad issues this summer, that's what I get jumping back into soccer and trying to do what I did while playing college ball seven years ago, and just started out this morning at 6:45 in the lovely drizzle. We moved a week ago and so I don't know the routes around here, so what better time than now to let go of the mileage counting for a spell.

I'm going to keep track of my time out running and monitor my heart rate as per Maffetone... I might worry about the MAF, but am not sure about even doing that much.

lee, you're being very wishy washy. you'd fit right in here in oregon. ;)

My days of running without gadgets are numbered. After botching the pick up spot with my wife (no cell service), she drove the canyon road 3 times, had forest service looking for me, and had called dispatch. One officer called back to say that he had seen the barefoot runner 4 hours earlier. After hitch hiking back down the canyon 2 hours after the scheduled meeting time, I called my very worried wife and spent the rest of the day trying to patch things up. She now wants to put some type of tracking device on me.

Ha Nick, don't bring up the apps again, it could start the battle all over again.

I saw this beacon in backpacker magazine. Does anyone know it they work? I'll probably start a new thread on them.

images

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7