Running without gadgets

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Gentile, May 24, 2012.

1. Bare Lee

Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

I think everyone should run the way they enjoy it most. I'm not anti-technology. It's just not my thing right now. But whatever motivates you is good, I say.

Lomad and barefootandagile like this.
  2. Hawkbilly

Hawkbilly Barefooters

Yeah, I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Sometimes measuring HR or distance or speed is important to meeting your goals on that particular run. But if all you want to do is just go run, so be it. No right or wrong answer.

barefootandagile likes this.
  3. Renz

Renz Barefooters
    1. Philippines

I would ditch anything except shirt, shorts, garmin when I run. I still want to record my mileage that's why I prefer having my garmin around (most of the time I use this to measure my heart rate only). Oh by the way, I completely ditched my mp3 player when I started running minimal last september last year. I prefer listening to the music of my rhythm.

Sid and barefootandagile like this.
  4. Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

Thanks Chris, I hope to attend one of the NYC meetups this summer as well!

5. Zetti

Zetti Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I have been running more with my phone latley (for runkeeper). I have a spi-belt so I dont even notice it...buuuttt, I have been contemplating leaving it at home for good. Running with as little attachment to your daily obligations and concrete numbers is just more freeing. I find that you can really get back to the idea of running for yourself. Not in a selfish way, because doing this allows for me to totally destress and then be more available for my wife and family when I get back.
    Good move and good luck :)

6. Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

Zetti, when I run long I bring my phone as well, solely for my family to have contact with me as well.

7. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I do have a Road ID anlket that I wear when I don't forget to put it on. That's as close as I'll get to carry along tech.

8. DNEchris

DNEchris Barefooters
    1. Washington

Come on down!

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Barefooters
    1. Oregon

You know, its not just technology that bugs me, as my mileage increases
    I've been faced with carrying water, and find that I HATE all the alternatives :)
    the hand held things bug me as i pass them back and forth from hand to hand,
    and just before my injury I bought one of those small bottle belts... have only
    worn it once, but it bugs the heck out of me too :( .... suppose I'll get used to
    it but would rather not.

10. Zetti

Zetti Barefooters
    1. Michigan

You know....If you are doing a long run, you could do a few other things. You or a family member could plant water bottles at certain points on your run. You could do you mileage so that you go by public drinking fountains at the right time (if running in an urban location) or you could look into hydration packs (camel pack) which might be worse than a bottle belt.....just a few ideas

11. RunningPirate

RunningPirate Barefooters
    1. California...

I did the same thing...for the most part, now I just pre-map my route so I do not go too far (from a TMTS standpoint).

As for carrying water, I believe Nathan makes some hydration vests that some folks use (they fit a little different than the CamelBak's, I believe).

12. Bare Lee

1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Thanks everyone. This no-gadgets discussion has talked me into buying
    a Runners World SPI belt
    at REI
    for my iDumb phone
    so I can call
    Pretty soon I'll be using MapMyRun and let Homeland Security track my fitness level.
    Thank intelligent design that I don't run far enough to need a hydration vest (yet).

Meanwhile, 90s today; time to take off the shirt and burn off some of the skin diseases I picked up over the winter.

13. NickW

NickW Guest

Be careful with the MapMyRun app. It can kill your phone's battery pretty fast. Got me in trouble with the missus last week....

14. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

And he ain't kiddin'! ;)

15. Bare Lee

1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

I know, I keep track of NickW's postings, looking especially for advice on nipple hair and its poetics.

NickW likes this.
  16. Go_Blue

Go_Blue Chapter Presidents
    1. Nebraska -...
    2. Nebraska -...

I used to run with music, but no longer do if I'm barefoot. I prefer to hear everything around me for whatever reason. The only things I carry when I run are my watch, my phone, ID, and keys all stuffed into an arm band. I have a waist belt I can carry on hotter days if I need a water bottle, and can throw some socks into those too if the surface is hot. Used to stuff my VFFs into the back water bottle pocket, but I ditched those awhile ago and now my water bottle can return to its home.

Now, if I'm stuck inside on the track and therefore stuck in shoes, the mp3 player comes with me. Helps break up the monotony.

17. rbondi

rbondi Barefooters
    1. Texas - Austin

I use the Garmin(without hrm) if I am training and the ipod when not in training but only some of the time on roads, never on trails. I have a one gadget limit but can do without.

18. Jonny00GT

Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

BF Gent - Good for you, getting your Zen on! I did it for a bit when I sold my Garmin 305 and waited for my 310 to be delivered...yeah...maybe some day, but I'm not there yet.

Jaybird - This is what I ended up with after trying a few things : http://www.amazon.com/Amphipod-Full-Tilt-Velocity-20oz/dp/B004Q1HBY2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1
    Make sure it's snug on your hips and it doesn't bounce, easy to get to and I got the one with the double pocket for my phone, house key, chapstick, etc.

or for long runs when it's really hot, you can do the double: http://www.amazon.com/Amphipod-Full-Tilt-20-20/dp/B003V0OBPQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4

-Jonny

19. NickW

NickW Guest

See I would rather carry my water in my hand than wear something like that Jonny. I hate having stuff that can rub sore spots or make me really hot which that just may do.

20. Bare Lee

1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Well, since doing intervals/fartlet running last week, I became curious about what exactly my pace is. Last time I checked, on a relatively flat asphalt path around a lake a month or two ago, almost exactly three miles around, it was a little under the 10-minute-mile mark (28 some minutes). Now I want to get a sense of a variety of relatively faster paces, so I broke down, and have a Garmin Forerunner 205 on order, arriving Tuesday. Lord help me, I know it's a slippery slope.

Zetti, Lomad and NickW like this.