Running without gadgets

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Call it old age but my attitude is defiantly changing when it comes to running. Losing interest? Not really but the obsessiveness is dwindling. I am running my first 50k this Sunday, and thinking about ditching the garmin, and just run by feel. It's funn, when I ran shod for 18 years I never wore a watch, logged miles, etc. Then once I started running barefoot I cluttered running with useless crap. Now I don't even stress over race times or speed now, its like a cloud lifted and I am returning how I ran when I first started. Or again, I am just an old bastard that wants to run barefoot without excess baggage. I might just ditch the garmin for good.

This time of year it's getting to be more likely you'll find me running in less than Barelee, even. I do need to add a towel so I can get in the car without soaking the seat.
BG, have a great 50K. I predict a PR for you.

Reactions: Bare Lee
See what you started JT. Pretty soon no one is going to want to run with technology. :D I have been banned from using mapmyrun on my phone anymore so I am back to using my Garmin for distance only. I am trying to keep track of how many miles I log barefoot vs shod(huaraches) this year. I love not worrying about hr or pace or even how far I am running. I just go and enjoy myself and stop when I feel done.

That sounds like the opposite of what I did. I was bogged down with ALL the gadgets, then when I ditched the shoes, I ditched the gadgets.

Seems like you are going through a lot of changes lately, Gent. This is a positive move for you.

See what you started JT. Pretty soon no one is going to want to run with technology. :D I have been banned from using mapmyrun on my phone anymore so I am back to using my Garmin for distance only. I am trying to keep track of how many miles I log barefoot vs shod(huaraches) this year. I love not worrying about hr or pace or even how far I am running. I just go and enjoy myself and stop when I feel done.

Banned from using mapmyrun? What's the story there?

I still use my phone and E25K app because I still can't run more than 6 minutes or so at a time, and I need the structure of walking and running with the various prompts. I did lose the headphones, I just keep the phone in my shorts pocket with volume turned up (no music, just the prompts).

But, even when I do get to the point of being able to run a mile or more at a time, I'm still a data junkie and want to know where I want, how long it took, distance, pace, etc. etc.

Uhhh, my Forerunner is hardly what I'd call cumbersome :) But I did run around
with my phone for Runkeeper and Music for a while, and I do prefer doing without
them, it was one of the reasons I bought the Garmin and I'm not regretting that.

Yea, how does someone get banned from MapMyRun?

Ok, you get banned from MapMyRun when it kills the battery on your phone when your out on a much longer run than normal and the missus can't get a hold of you and starts to panic and calls people to help go look for you...:oops: Then once you get home and she finds out everything is ok she gets a bit angry and tells me I am not to use the app anymore. People are too dependent on technology, sheesh. And she says I'm the one who's addicted to it. ;)

Geez. Sorry to stir it up. I had no idea. Sending :barefoot: love her way.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11