People's reactions when you run

yep. massive amounts of sweat. i watched them land and take off like they were grossed out. whatever. i was halfway through my run when i stopped and they were making test landings on me.

I submit for your consideration the hypothesis that it wasn't the sweat, per se, so much as what it carried in your particular case that fended them off. No offense, man.

When I stopped for a water break at 5 miles on Sat. morning, a cloud of nasty biters surrounded the group of us and we all were attacked. They landed and fed and were smacked with great enthusiasm.

they usually attack me like i'm a krispy kreme donut. sweat kept them off of me for some reason. i was drenched though. they acted like a valley girl, "oh my gosh, gross."

you should have seen the poor old man who offered. he and the wife were hunched a bit and the other two couples weren't in very good shape either. i could've carried all them down myself. one at a time of course.

Reactions: happysongbird
I was warming up barefoot last time I played golf and everybody commented it. I had my vivobarefoot golfshoes in my golfbag but were about to play barefoot just to piss them off. In the end I didn't.

i got a few comments and a lot of stares on today's run through town. first was passing a crowd of people in line to get into a blues festival. "you must have tough feet." too busy to stop and comment plus a lot of looky lues. would've taken more time than i wanted.

2nd was running by a hospital on the hill. guy with a dog gets a real angry look. maybe had it before he saw me but i didn't notice. "you guys are stupid". i was like wtf? thought about it. decided he looked angry enough so i laughed out loud and said thanks. i continued laughing for a good minute.

last was from another runner who gave me a ride. said i had the best form of any runner he's seen including the guys who beat me in the "race" today. makes me feel good when i know i have things to work on. still feel and hear my left foot slap as it's the longer leg.

Reactions: happysongbird
My best reaction hasn't been while running (or walking, since I've been off injured for nearly a year, but have finally been given the go-ahead to start running again!) was a few weeks ago. I had gone to a networking meeting in town and there was a new guy there who has a store on main street. After the meeting, during the chit-chat, he said, "I've never seen you in shoes before!" I had to explain that I was installing fence up until 2 minutes before the meeting, and using my feet to help unroll the wire, thus the shoes. But I rarely get comments in town so I was very surprised he had noticed!

Last summer before I hurt my foot I was running a 5k race, nearly dead last, and the young firefighter at the turn-around said, "now that's bad-ass!" Since I'm almost 50, that rocked. :)

I wonder if something like that may be my problem. I seem to have a harder impact on my right foot, and it is always more sore than the left after a run.
I have to consciously bend my longer leg more when I run. It is a common problem.

Reactions: Sid
Got one 2 days ago while I was at our garbage dump getting rid of yard waste. After I was directed to the compost site The young fellow came up to me and said "wow, way to go caveman style". I was barefoot, than after that statement I was informed all about those new shoes that are like barefoot shoes with toes. I got a nice little chuckle out of that because as he is explaining this to me my daughter came around from the other side of the truck. I then replied are they something like what she has on? She was wearing her vff's, all in all made my trip to the dump entertaining. :playful:

forgot to add. Todd's wife Jen told me it looked like you could place a glass of water on my head and i wouldn't spill it while i run.Todd is the one who gave me the ride and compliment. don't know how i forgot that one.

went to the beach today. ran down looking for my daughter and didn't see her so i kept on going to the end. on the way back some kid jumped kind of in front of me and took my picture. i gave him my standard pose and his friends laughed. (stick out tongue and wave hands, peace sign this time.)