Mouth is for eating nose is for breathing

thanks for the info Abide

specially is devastating for kids because their mind and body are less oxygenated and causes a lot of problems specially in the focus, attention, emotion and others
also deforms jaw, whole face, palate, teeth and wek the upper lip due to the non use

Try to avoid milk? Yeah, that's not a problem, can't stand milk! Looked into surgery, but cure looks worse than the disease!

thats bad, try avoid milk and other if you also have muccus

i have deviated nose due to injury and its diffuclt to breathe through my right nostril, your case must be worse, sorry to hear that

Abide,

Lots of good detailed info. Expounded on points that i hit and didn't know.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I hit the steeper hills today and used the pure 'breath of fire' or 'Jerry Lee' technique as i've decided to rename it.
I found there was definitely a reduction in lactic and i wasn't grasping for the water bottle at the top. At no point did i feel the need to mouth breathe.
To put things into perspective i was breathing quite forcefully in and out through my nose every two paces.

This is a long hall thing, it's going to take time to adjust from automatic breathing to something more controlled, it feels more like a lifestyle change than a running technique.
I'm also interested in some of the meditative practices, of 'following the breath' and exercising the mind.

Yah, that was the first semi-convincing explanation that I've seen. I have no qualifications to verify its validity however. Still, worth trying, at aerobic pace at least.

semi convincing?? also its simple logic, nose is a filter, its made for breathing, to filter dirty air, to adjust temperature of he air, you make more profound breath instead of the more superficially breath of mouth breathing

being a skeptic in some things can be wise but being a skeptic about everything and the most logical and simple things i think its very unwise

A thought to add to the Mucous discussion: NETI POT / Nasal Wash

The use of the Neti Pot takes a bit of getting used to, but I have read a lot of very positive press for it and feel that I have benefitted myself. Here's the Wiki entry for your edification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

One other link is to a product site (Alkolol Nasal Wash) that also gives very detailed instructions:

http://www.alkalolcompany.com/media/Alkalol-instructional-sheet.pdf

yes! i have the Neti Pot haha, its good to clean the nose, i used it long time ago when i had excess of muccus, i know use it sometimes maybe 1 a month but because i dont need it now but its very good i personally think

Reactions: migangelo
At this point I would have to say I am not wholly convinced either, interested enough to experiment though based on others experiences.

I don't think it's fair to jump to the false conclusion that the studies are encouraging nasal breathing while exercising, which they are not. I suspect that while excercising the pressure differential is not important as your blood likely contains significantly higher concentrations of CO2 and your mouth breathing should be deeper due to higher oxygen demands which would increase the oxygen content in your lungs at a greater rate than breathing at rest. Obviously someone could be a habitual shallow breather, but that's a different issue and breathing excercises should help with that.

Another bone to pick, is that if nasal breathing takes 50% more energy than mouth breathing, is it something you want to be doing while excercising? Isn't that comparable to swinging your arms excessively just because?

I have been noticing some nice benefits to really focusing on nasal breathing on a daily basis. My nose is significantly less clogged and the only time I need to blow it is while I'm running or biking. I have also noticed that I am sleeping deeper if I put myself to sleep by taking deep breaths.

On the other hand I attempted to do it while I was running today and at one point it was causing some significant pressure in my head that was relieved by a few deeper breaths through my mouth. I wish I was wearing my HR monitor so I could have seen if I was going too fast. It seems like its pretty comfortable to do on my bike to about 135 BPM which is about 3x my resting HR. Once I get in the 140 range it feels more of a struggle.

At this point I would have to say I am not wholly convinced either, interested enough to experiment though based on others experiences.

I don't think it's fair to jump to the false conclusion that the studies are encouraging nasal breathing while exercising, which they are not. I suspect that while excercising the pressure differential is not important as your blood likely contains significantly higher concentrations of CO2 and your mouth breathing should be deeper due to higher oxygen demands which would increase the oxygen content in your lungs at a greater rate than breathing at rest. Obviously someone could be a habitual shallow breather, but that's a different issue and breathing excercises should help with that.

Another bone to pick, is that if nasal breathing takes 50% more energy than mouth breathing, is it something you want to be doing while excercising? Isn't that comparable to swinging your arms excessively just because?

I have been noticing some nice benefits to really focusing on nasal breathing on a daily basis. My nose is significantly less clogged and the only time I need to blow it is while I'm running or biking. I have also noticed that I am sleeping deeper if I put myself to sleep by taking deep breaths.

On the other hand I attempted to do it while I was running today and at one point it was causing some significant pressure in my head that was relieved by a few deeper breaths through my mouth. I wish I was wearing my HR monitor so I could have seen if I was going too fast. It seems like its pretty comfortable to do on my bike to about 135 BPM which is about 3x my resting HR. Once I get in the 140 range it feels more of a struggle.

yep but what is important is breath trhought nose in normal situations, mouth breathing in normal state is horrible, mouth breathin while exercise can be acceptable

yep but what is important is breath trhought nose in normal situations, mouth breathing in normal state is horrible, mouth breathin while exercise can be acceptable
Yah, we're saying the same thing. I was only referring to the idea of nasal- vs mouth-breathing during moderate or intense activity. When at rest, my nose does all the work.

I did a harder run yesterday. I'm so out of shape it's not even funny. I was able to run with my hr at 185 before i had to exhale through my mouth. 195 was my limit. I had to slow down once i hit that.

It can be done you just have to dedicate to doing it.

Reactions: Sly
Thanks Ske this is encouraging.

Altitude
At high altitude, there is a belief that red blood cell production is stimulated to compensate for the relative scarcity of oxygen in the air, and that this is the primary cause for performance gains associated with altitude training. [31][32]
However, others postulate that the positive effects of altitude training are mostly due to other factors, such as an adaptation to a more economic utilization of oxygen. [33] This claim seems to be supported by the lactate paradox, which shows “reduced production of lactic acid at a given work rate at high altitude.” [14] Lactate levels should not be reduced if increased red blood cell mass was the predominant factor in performance increase because carbon dioxide plays such a role in oxygen delivery.
Building one’s tolerance of nasal breathing is probably comparable to physiological adaptations of high altitude.

This i found interesting, i'm not sure how scientific the paper is but it's fun to read :) I fall in the 'meathead' with aspirations of 'enthusiast' category.;)

http://adamcap.com/2013/11/29/nose-knows-case-nasal-breathing-high-intensity-exercise/
I like the tentativeness in his conclusions. He points out the weakness in all these discussions: it's a bunch of untrained individuals like us trying to make sense of assertions by putative experts. And yet we're not qualified to confirm the validity of any of it. For all we know, a very important factor or interaction has been completely ignored, or an assertion that sounds reasonable to common sense may be completely unsupported by current state-of-the-art knowledge of the issue.

An old linguistics professor of mine would revel in revealing the linguistic ignorance of William Safire in his NYTimes "On Language" columns, and I can tell you for a fact that the world's best-known linguist, Noam Chomsky, has a completely misguided understanding of how language works. I have some confidence in this area. But when someone starts stringing together physiological terms I understand poorly at best, I remain skeptical. I simply have no way of knowing if that's a correct conceptualization of matters. What's more compelling for me, is when someone like Scott Jurek or accomplished BRS members report success with a technique.

I'm definitely interested now, but I still question if it's possible, for me, to breath nasally at moderate or intense levels of activity. Aerobically, I know it's possible, and believe it's probably a good practice, and I'll start checking myself more regularly on my slow runs to make sure I'm doing it.

Reactions: Sly and skedaddle
Maybe we can split this thread into a new, Mouth wash vs. Nasal wash discussion?

On a slightly more serious note, most of the time, I believe, most of us are just running, and not pushing envelopes much. For me, just running seems more focused and better integrated with my whole body and mind when my mouth is closed.

air exhaled through the nose creates back pressure when one exhales. It slows the air escape so the lungs have more time to extract oxygen from them.

Gas exchange is already complete by the time you start to exhale, a fact novice pot smokers are comically ignorant of when they hold their tokes. It's very quick, less than 1 second per alveolus. That's why your breath rate has to increase during exercise - your body has already lowered the partial pressure of O2 and raised the pp of CO2 in the air in your lungs to levels that prevent efficient further gas exchange. Those partial pressures are not altered by slowed or resisted exhaling, you're only holding in stale air when you need fresh air.

You also need to fully expand your lungs to use all your alveoli. If you restrict your airflow during exercise, either your lungs will not fully expand or you will have to slow your breathing rate. Either way you end up with less oxygen and vent less CO2.

When there is proper oxygen-carbon dioxide exchange, the blood will maintain a balanced pH. If carbon dioxide is lost too quickly, as in mouth breathing, oxygen absorption is decreased.

Breathing through the nose also limits air intake and forces one to SLOW down.

They are contradicting themselves. First they say oxygen absorption is decreased by mouth breathing, then they admit nose-breathers have to go slower than mouth breathers, despite supposedly absorbing more oxygen.

Running is exercise, where you can't get rid of CO2 quickly enough. The claim that nose-breathing is the best way to run is absurd when qualified by "as long as you go slow." If light exercise floats your boat, if you like to run with a walking effort, fine - but don't tell those of us who push our aerobic limits that it's the way to get oxygen.

You mouth breathers would be considered boys by native americans. They would have boys run some 6 miles with water in their mouth. When they could make it with all the water in their mouth they were considered men.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Hobbit

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090