Mileage Reporting 7th Week of 2013

30 min of ST back and legs. Had a migraine so bad felt really bad. Left after only doing less than half my workout. Got home and started dry heaving the migraine got so bad. Was trying not to take any pain killers because of my doc apt today, but that didn't workout and I had to take something. After laying on the couch for the last hour I am finally able to sit up without feeling like I am going to blackout. Wow that sucked.

:(

Reactions: NickW
5.5 miles COMPLETELY barefoot on flat, not too gravely asphalt. I didn't push some of my Garmin buttons right, so I don't know about pace, but I was trying to keep it relaxed, so even though that felt like enough, it felt GOOD.:barefoot::)

Swimming Tip of the Day: it is better to practice in shorter segments more often when learning form and setting muscle memory for stroke.

Awesome!!! I didn't see anything about elevation, are there a lot big climbs? How long do you expect to need?

Wow, I'm just really impressed here... and a little envious? Nah!

This is Manitoba, so you can say elevation change of about a speed bump, jk (maybe a couple of hundred feet at best, I will know better on Sunday when I download all the stats). Time should be between 18 and 25 hours, I know it is quite the spread but the conditions will tell the tale. A lot of the run is through snowy fields and such, not cleared and snow mobile trails, although there is a little bit of secondary dirt roads too. There is also a lake crossing (it will be frozen, thankfully) and definitely a river trail or two.

5.18 Mi in 1:01. I keep threatening to do a double (or a two-a-day) but never get around to doing the "other" run.

I encountered a cyclist this evening who asked "Are you getting ready for 5-fingers?" I replied that I've skipped over them entirely, to his approval.

Interestingly, the past few runs I've done, I've gotten a couple of positive comments - both from older, immigrant men (at least I'm guessing so by their accents) about running barefoot (thumbs up, "Good for you!"). I guess the whole "you should put on some shoes" thing is an American sentiment..

Rest day for swimming. Trying to minimize TMTS.

I read Dicharry's Anatomy for Runners last night. Nice book. Posted my thoughts about the book in the Optimal strength training for runners thread.

Went through some of the exercises from the book this morning. Found some areas for improvement. Dicharry not only talks about resting but also strengthening. So, I'm going to hold off on running, so I can put my energy into swimming. Hoever, I'm going to work on those exercises in Dicharry's book until I feel proficient with them. Hopefully, when I hit the trail again, it'll be more fun because my body will be better balanced.

Rest day for swimming. Trying to minimize TMTS.

I read Dicharry's Anatomy for Runners last night. Nice book. Posted my thoughts about the book in the Optimal strength training for runners thread.

Went through some of the exercises from the book this morning. Found some areas for improvement. Dicharry not only talks about resting but also strengthening. So, I'm going to hold off on running, so I can put my energy into swimming. Hoever, I'm going to work on those exercises in Dicharry's book until I feel proficient with them. Hopefully, when I hit the trail again, it'll be more fun because my body will be better balanced.

Cool. Thanks.
I've been getting very sore in my whole upper body and shoulders from the swimming, and my instructor last night was telling me I wasn't using my shoulders enough. Good idea to take a break.

I did about 10 min of the kettlebell this am. Only 10 lbs to start, mostly the arm swing, and some squats from this beginner video I ordered. I can already feel it a bit in my thighs & glutes. Interesting.

YIKES!!!! Big mean dog without proper supervision, I take it?

Sort of. He's actually a big (like, St. Bernhard big, but with German Shepherd coloring and head like a Boxer), generally friendly watch dog at a farm that we run past. He hates Leni, though, I guess because of the way we run past his domain. So, he always comes running out to bark at us. It's always been ok, he just chases her off, or I snatch her up and tell him that she's not a snack. The owner is always around, comes out and yells at his dog to get back on the property, etc. It's always been more or less good natured.

Yesterday, Leni saw him before I did and she took off like a rocket. He started chasing her and she turned and came back toward me. Then, right in front of me, he snatched her up by her neck in his huge maw and started shaking her. Dogs don't do that when they're just play-fighting or putting on a show. That's how they break an animals neck. Leni would do it to a rat, if she ever had the chance.

I freaked. First I yelled at him, but next thing I knew I was kicking him in the head. Three hard kicks, my big toe is now black and blue*, and he let her drop. Of course she bolted as soon as she hit the ground and he took off after her again... But I scooped her up and kicked the big dog in the head again. I don't know why, for the hell of it, I guess.

By that time, the owner was there and yelling at me stop stop kicking his dog in the head, lol. I screamed at him NEXT TIME IT'S THE GODDAMN POLICE YOU SUMMBITCH!!! THIS AIN'T FUN ANYMORE!! GAH BAH RAHHHH!!! Stuff like that, but in German, so it really stung.

So we had a nice shouting match for a while and then Leni and I ran off toward home.

We went across the frozen fields and she treed a pheasant, which is really, really bad. The Forester here always has his eye on us... That was a fun run, lol :D

* edit: I was wearing my Vivo Breathos, not much protection but happy I wasn't barefoot haha!
edit 2: forgot the other 'fun' part - The field was mostly frozen but we broke through the ice at a few spots and the ground beneath was pretty wet. When we got home, my daughter gasped 'Bah, you stink!'. The areas where we broke through had been fertilized prior to the cold snap ... They use natural fertilizer here :eek:

Wait, I thought that swimmers were supposed to use the big muscles, like the lats, to prevent swimmer's shoulder. Maybe happysongbird can clarify.
If by shoulders, the instructor mean lats, then that would be what I have come to understand and do. You sort of learn to move your arms from that point. Part of the soreness can just be from building muscle. Part can be from using the wrong muscles, ones that aren't really big enough or aren't connected from a location that does that movement effectively; often the problem can be not relaxing the arm between strokes enough. When the arm is up out of the water, elbow leading, finger tips "dragging", the arm should be relaxed while the back moves it. And I think we will call this your Swimming Tip of the Day!

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
Real quiet on here today. Did an hour of ST chest and triceps and then did a half hour of bike, basically three hills on it that progressively got harder and harder every two minutes (the incline got steeper and I had to work harder) and then after each hill would be a short two minute spin that feels like going downhill and then starting back up a new hill. The bike said I burned 360 calories doing this routine. Today was my first day of wearing the Kinvaras with my orthotics and I must say it was weird. Had a lot of problem with balance, but on a good note my foot didn't hurt while wearing them. Gotta call the sports physical therapist now to set up a pt apt and find out what they plan to do for this impingement.

I'm having a rest day today and playing golf - my calves are just feeling a little tight after 2.7km barefoot yesterday and I'm trying to be very sensible and L to my B. This from Sid grabbed my interest:

Went through some of the exercises from the book this morning. Found some areas for improvement. Dicharry not only talks about resting but also strengthening.

I'll probably grab the book, but in the meantime, what does it say about the amount of time you should spend resting? Would a couple of days be beneficial, or are we talking about taking the occasional week off?

I'll probably grab the book, but in the meantime, what does it say about the amount of time you should spend resting? Would a couple of days be beneficial, or are we talking about taking the occasional week off?
The book doesn't really cover training, but it's more about functional anatomy. It gives an example of a runner who gets an injury, rests, heals, but gets reinjured due to anatomical weaknesses. He provides exercises to identify and target weak areas.

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7