Mileage Reporting 7th Week of 2013

Sunday morning 26km, 2:45 and 420m of GPS climb (I'm sure it's more than that in reality but my app doesn't calculate it so well. Garmin does a better job).

Felt really good up till about 20k when I felt my energy stores crash. That was kind of what I was looking for, was running on an empty stomach. Got through the lull and was feeling pretty good again before the end. But not so good that I could turn around and do it two more times, which is basically what I have planned for May. So, gotta get more longer runs in.

There was one really long, steep climb, up to the medeival signal tower and then it was off through the forest to the castle. Here's the road sign at the top of the castle. Look closely:

45276989_1360498570275.jpg

This is the final leg of the long climb, a LOT steeper than it appears:

45276989_1360495878933.jpg

It flattens out and becomes kind of 'rolling hills' territory for a while:

45276989_1360496607070.jpg see the doggie? :)

And after a few kilometers of wintry woods, we came out to this gorgeous view:

45276989_1360496809138.jpg

Leni the Superdog was great, as usual. At around that 20k zone, we were running along a long, wide, straight 'river' (actually a flood-protection area), with steep embankments from the path down to the water. She loves running there because the water is teeming with ducks. So, after 20k and just around the time when I was feeling poopy, she got revved up and started blasting up and down the embankment, chasing ducks.

Came home to sauerbraten and potato dumplings, a nice Hefe Weizen to round it off.

This is what Sundays were made for! :D

An hour more langrenn - unfortunately brain dead pedestrians had walked in most of the ski tracks :mad:
Cool (-8C), dry and sunny so it wasn't all bad!

Pedestrians, snowmobilers, snowboarders, dogs, they just can't leave a ski track alone. "Must destroy ski track" mantra. (I don't mind my dogs, they get a free pass as long as they don't step on the backs of my skis)

@willie - that post deserves an extra "Like". Enter yourself in the winter challenge, I need some competition.

Got in 5 km on the indoor track in my Vff's. I'm up to 57.96 km this year, all inside unfortunately, but getting in a decent amount of running. Last week, I was passed on the track by a man wearing what looked like Ugg boots....not sure how those would have felt!
Our weather has been between -35, and +5 in the last month, so the bike trails are a mixture of ice, snow, and pavement, but the ground temperature is pretty low. So, I'm not sure about taking a run out there yet.
Hopefully I'll get outside soon. :)

I had planned on doing a recovery run today from my 5k yesterday (which is the furthest I've ever run barefoot) due to sore calf muscles. I got out on the road and just started running and ended up pushing myself for a 1.27 mile run.

That's the German word for it.
Langrenn is Norwegian - it's also got a teeny bit of similarity to 'long run'. :)

Oic, I asked cause 'renn' is also German, means basically the same thing, more akin to 'race' but obviously related to 'run' and it means that, too. I don't really know what the difference is between 'lauf' and 'renn', they mean the same thing, afaik. In our region, unfortunately, 'lauf' kann mean 'walk' and 'run', it gets really confusing.

Note: my May ultra is on the 'Rennsteig' ;-)

Oic, I asked cause 'renn' is also German, means basically the same thing, more akin to 'race' but obviously related to 'run' and it means that, too. I don't really know what the difference is between 'lauf' and 'renn', they mean the same thing, afaik. In our region, unfortunately, 'lauf' kann mean 'walk' and 'run', it gets really confusing.

Note: my May ultra is on the 'Rennsteig' ;-)
Those Germanic peoples did get round a bit didn't they?

Just got my first qualifying barefoot winter run in! The first mile I wore my Adams but realised the road was mostly dry and not salted so I finished up the Central Park loop carrying my shoes and having a blast. Still dry, still sunny but 8 or 9 degrees warmer than it had been first thing this morning.

I had been looking forward to today all week, as it was suppose to be 50F and I havent been able to log a lot of bare miles this winter nor long runs. Well as the date approached the forecast changed of course, instead of low 50's it was high 40's, and thats for the city its usually 2-6F colder here. Went out at 2pm and my thermo was reading 42F. Good enough for me. Grabbed my Nathan hydrapack, and my hrm, neither of which I've used in a long time. Figured if I was going to log some decent barefoot miles I better take it easy, so thought I'd do a MAF run.

Havent done maf since last spring so I was curious to see after a solid year of training if I'd improved. I did, but not as much as I hoped. Last year my best maf paces were mid 10's. After a warmup my miles came in with average pace of 9:47, 10:11, 11:14, 11:02, 10:51. The first two might have had a little bit of downhill grade which then hurt the 3rd and fourth on the return. Also the middle two miles the trail was still covered in snow! I was playing hopscotch in places, and other times just going through the unspoiled snow on the side. I didnt expect that at all, it poured rain a few days ago for half the day, and there was only 4" or so down at the time. Anyhow, I made it through a couple miles of 3" snow, its so much easier when its in the 40's!

In all I got in 9 miles. Longest run so far for '13 for me. Felt great, and at the slower maf paces I felt like I could have kept on going for miles.

Hit the water three times today. A little practice before swim class at the local gym. Then swim class across town, where the instructor introduces the backstroke (when I haven't gotten the hang of freestyle yet!) Then Aquatica, where I'm slowly overcoming my trepidation around water, by going on the rides one by one.

I got in Roa's Rapids for the first time, which is a not so lazy river. The water is less than 4' deep, however the current is strong enough that you can't stand in one place. I'm glad that I grabbed a lifejacket, and that the lifeguard gently encouraged me to keep it by saying, "Most people prefer to float". Although, he didn't say it, I now realize that the complete sentence is "Most people prefer to float, rather than get knocked on their butt by the wicked current". I also now realize why each lifeguard had a stack of life vests next to them.

I'm enjoying my break from running. Although, I'd been successful at keeping the weight off by running, I was also worried that I'd have to keep up the distance and intensity to keep it off, possibly leading to overuse and injury. So, I'm glad to find some other activities to keep busy. Though gosh, swimming really seems to work the shoulders, and I'm still sore from yesterday's circuit training.

Actually, I thought about going for a jog yesterday after my circuit training, but the lateral plantar nerve in my left foot was acting up a bit. I made it down the street and back, but I'm beginning to realize that I don't really like jogging on streets barefoot or in minshoes. I really prefer the trails, where I can feel the earth beneath me. I'm not sure when I'm going to run again, but I do keep my running gear in the trunk, just in case!

6.76 miles today over two runs. The first being a 5 km winter obstacle run (think tough mudder but in snow), the second a beer run to make up the distance. Had a blast with both. Nothing like running in snow up to your upper thighs.

1.23 miles on the treadmill. Did a timed run again on it and increased the pace .5mph every 2.5 minutes until I was done. At the end I was at 7.5mph. Next week, assuming I'm not in a boot or something after seeing the doc this wednesday, I will increase from 10 min runs to 15 min runs. Also did ST of chest and tri's. I did the weight exercises first and the first thing I noticed was I had to increase the weight. So running first DOES in fact tire you out more and prohibit how much weight you can do. Now, on my personal experiment we'll find out if this will increase fat burn and weight loss as from some articles I read lately suggested. They say that weights first depletes the glycogen in the muscles more so that your body is more efficient burning fat when you run/cardio at the end. Not sure how true that is, but I am interested none the less and will see how it works out for me.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test