Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

good to know I'm not the only one :cool:

My best times, by the way? A lot faster than yours, hehe ;)
LOL, if they aren't official times they don't count. :p

Also, went out for a little leg-loosening 5k today, mostly just to give the oggie-doggie something to do :)
Nice!

Why the D3? I was going to suggest the magnesium for muscle cramps, but you got there one second ahead of me!

D3 is very benficial for soft tissue, ligaments and tendons and it has being found that most people are D3 deficient .

oh, they're official, but they go back a ways ... :p

Ha! I win! mine are more recent and I am way older than you, hehehe...win, win.
If we are going to brag here well then you're talking to a State champion way back , waaaay, waaaay back on my best days.
Win again!:p

Reactions: Bare Lee
Go down the stairs backwards that way it doesn't hurt that much.
Ice only for the first 48 hrs and then heat. After 48 hrs if you like you could do cold'heat therapy as in 15/20 mins ice then 15/20 mins heat, rinsed and repeat for about an hr.
Are you taking vit D3 supplement? if not you should consider doing so.
Also make sure you're consuming plenty of magnesium, pumpkin seeds are my favorite for magnesium supplementation.
Thanks for the recs. What dosage or potency would you recommend for both the D3 and Magnesium?

Gosh, but I like winning :). !
I never would've guessed, except maybe for the half-page of PRs under your name.

Still, I would probably bet on Willie in a race, he has longer limbs, although Dama's will and determination are not to be underestimated.

Don't know if I'll be able to do my micro run today. Any advice on how to treat this? Do I ice it or heat it? Should I stretch it or just massage and rest it? I've already ordered a ProTec Calf Sleeve. It mostly just hurts descending stairs. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before, although I have to laugh at myself once again. I thought perhaps my injury-prone ways were behind me, but I see the curse is still in effect. Perhaps I'll only be in the clear once my bfr twin Nick is as well.
Don't stretch the pulled muscle. A pulled muscle is just a mildly torn muscle. By stretching a torn muscle you tear it some more. Once it's healed then go back to stretching.

Thanks for the recs. What dosage or potency would you recommend for both the D3 and Magnesium?

It all depends on the individual. I take anywhere from 3K IU to 10K IU. the dose I take depens on my exposure to the sun which in winter is zip, nada. In Summer I don't take any since I am out lots.
I weas tested for D3 levels and I was very low.
Have youself tested and go by your Dr's recomandations...me thinks.

For magnesium I just make sure I consume magnesium high foods. Pumpkin sees happen to be my favorite source but there are lots of other foods high in magnesium such figs and apricots.

I never would've guessed, except maybe for the half-page of PRs under your name.:rolleyes:

Still, I would probably bet on Willie in a race, he has longer limbs, although Dama's will and determination are not to be underestimated.

Willie doesn't intimidate me, Leni on the other hand;)

Don't stretch the pulled muscle. A pulled muscle is just a mildly torn muscle. By stretching a torn muscle you tear it some more. Once it's healed then go back to stretching.
Yah, I think the thigh muscle was pulled while doing my icecapades acrobatics, so I'll just rest that and not stretch it, and in any case, it's very slight. But the calf was probably a cramp, since it came out of the blue during a normal stride. I think the Neo Trails were screwing up my gait or landing or making me push off or something. The instability of some of the snow and ice patches may have had something to do with it too. I dunno. It's actually a bit painful/sore and I'm not sure if I should run on a bit to help loosen it up or give it complete rest until the soreness is gone. Any ideas? I've never had a severe cramp like this, but I've pulled a few muscles in my day, so I know what that's like more or less.

@ Dama, ok, I'll pick up some high-mag foods. The ones you suggested are all ones I like. Plus I see my breakfast nuts are on a list I googled, as is dark chocolate. Yum!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
@ Dama, ok, I'll pick up some high-mag foods. The ones you suggested are all ones I like. Plus I see my breakfast nuts are on a list I googled, as is dark chocolate. Yum!

Shouldn't a 'cramp' go away on its own after a while? You seem to be describing something a bit more severe, Lee.

Magnesium - for something acute like this, you might be better served with potent supplements for a few days or a week.

Things I would actually be doing right now if it were me:

- ibuprofen
- magnesium 2x daily on empty gut
- hot/cold water treatment 2-3x daily
- horse salve wrap overnight
- self massage (and from a friend)

And a few other things as they occur to me....

Reactions: NickW
Shouldn't a 'cramp' go away on its own after a while? You seem to be describing something a bit more severe, Lee.

Magnesium - for something acute like this, you might be better served with potent supplements for a few days or a week.

- ibuprofen
- magnesium 2x daily on empty gut
- hot/cold water treatment 2-3x daily
- horse salve wrap overnight
- self massage (and from a friend)

And a few other things as they occur to me....
Yah, I dunno. I looked into it a bit online, and it appears to be a severe cramp. Apparently this can happen to runners, out of the blue, along with the hamstring. It's already loosened up a bit, and I've been self-massaging a lot throughout the day. I'll take some ibuprofen presently, as you recommend, and get some magnesium when I go to pick up the kids later. For hot/cold water treatment, I guess a soak in the hot tub will work. I'll probably try a short run after my st workout too, to see how it feels. Overall, I'm encouraged by the way it's been progressing. Hopefully this will be a one-off thing and not something I have to be careful about everytime I go out and run. Still a bit mystified as to what set it off, but I think shoes must have had something to do with it. Thanks for the suggestions!

1.08 miles on the treadmill. 2.5 minutes of warmup walk 10 min run and 2.5 min cool down. Also did ST of shoulders and biceps. Have an Army friend helping me out to try to get a diet and exercise regime that I can stick to. He is currently studying to become a nutritionist in school and he's always been very knowledgeable with physical training and I have a lot of confidence in him. While we were in the Army I always though he would become a personal trainer or a nutritionist. Turns out I was right.

Lee, as far as cramping I do not know anything about that as I rarely, if ever cramp up. The pulled muscle thing might be good to give it a couple days rest though depending on the severity of it. You know this though so I'm sure you'll figure out what works for you.

- ibuprofen...runners shouldn't do this, big no-no.

Willie, I remember when I was pregnant I used to get those kind of cramps as the one Lee describes that kind of cramps are actually very comon in pregnant women...oh GOD Lee, I hope you're not expecting ;)

I think a hot bath with epsom's salts would help epsom's salt is high in magnesium.

Reactions: NickW
@ Dama

Good, I haven't taken the ibuprofen yet.

I'm not expecting, although me and the missus have broached the possibility of a third reproduction of ourselves recently, after she finishes her nursing course, so perhaps it's a projected, sympathetic pregnancy. In the language I study the calf muscle is called the 'belly of the leg', so it kind of makes sense.

Anyway, I've been digging in my fingers while reading and rolling the 'stick' up and down, and it's helping, if a bit painful. I can almost feel the knots. Now the overall feeling is close to normal, post-run calf soreness, so hopefully it'll be gone completely in a day or two, and I can go back to overestimating my ability to run nigglelessly and without incident.

Now if Dama would just learn how to respond to comments without screwing up the quotation.

My weekly stairs workout today.
I have being consistent on doing the stairs once a week for a few weeks now and i have to say that they are becoming easier I have also been increasing the times I go up.
I am up to 1700 steps now my goal is to be were I was before by the end of winter. Keep my fingers crossed.

Quick note afore bed: I didn't say 'warm bath', I meant a pretty hardcore method involving alternating *hot* and *cold* water flows over the calf muscles.

Hot till the skin is red, cold till it doesn't feel cold anymore.

At least three repetitions and up to about nine.

And in my case, the last round would be hot, followed by a thick smear of horse salve, covered with paper towels and wrapped up in an ace bandage.

Just remembered one 'extra': I mix a little habanero sauce into my horse balm lol.

Like I said, hardcore, hoo rah.

Also, don't be so chicken about ibuprofen for a couple days. Lee, you're not running marathons here, geesh. The stuff 'can cause', I dunno, DEATH, if it's taken before really extreme exertion, or immediately after, but the extreme cases shouldn't scare you away from doing a little something for your sore calf muscle. You're not in that category.