Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Another micro run around the block. I was supposed to get in a four-miler, but it's still not that warm out (14 F / -1 F windchill) and I figured another day or two of pampering my lungs until it warms up for real can't hurt. Had a nice power nap just before, which helped. Still feeling draggy, but the cough is all but gone, as is the congestion. Might have to retire my constant companions of the last several weeks: Halls cough drops and nasal spray.

Time now to start grilling the chicken for the big game. We're watching over at my brother's home theater on Tivo with a friend of his. My wife has made a huge batch of samosas and stuffed green peppers too. Don't know if I'll have room for the junk food, but should have enough for all the ale in the fridge.

‎1. 30min swim class at the sportsplex
2. got a membership at the local gym to practice swimming
3. 45min kettlebell
4. 2hrs at Aquatica, bought a season pass
5. bought a running backpack at the mall, when I realized that the gym is only ~3mi from the house, so I can jog there, swim, then jog back before work
6. ready for football!
Nah, I'm not into watch rich guys running around for a bit, then resting for inordinate amounts of time during the most excessive day of commercials all year. Besides, I have to get up at 4A so I can do number 5!

Edit:
By the way, I don't have anything against people having a good time watching sports. I'd just rather be exercising myself, rather than watching someone else do it. That's all.

Got out and ran in the snow yesterday - we got 2 or 3 inches of fresh powder. Got 7 miles in but still having issues with shoes and cramping in my arches. It was so bad I tried bare, but only made it a short distance, about a half a mile. 25ish was just to cold.

Was going to do some exercises but went out in the afternoon for some wood splitting instead. Since it was in the teens it was cold enough that I thought I'd give some of the really hard to split stuff that I gave up on another go. Its generally easier to split when it gets down into the teens or less. And a sweetgum yard tree is nasty stuff to split by hand but I'm stubborn.

splitting_640_zps30492124.jpg

Got that pile next to the axes split this afternoon and I'm done worn out in only about an hour. Oh and I brought a weeks worth of wood in the house.

‎Edit: By the way, I don't have anything against people having a good time watching sports. I'd just rather be exercising myself, rather than watching someone else do it. That's all.
I generally agree with you on sports spectatorship, but make an exception for the NFL, especially now that my brother has Tivo (we were able to fast-forward through the 30-minute power outage last night!), which means games only last 90 minutes or so, and we can always watch them at night. And of course, we all appreciated watching Beyonce on a huge screen, especially my wife, who's a big fan.

Anyway, sounds like you got an awesome workout routine set-up!
I could eat samosas all day. Yum!.
They're pretty popular where my wife comes from, northern Mozambique, where a lot of Gujarati merchants settled along the coast.

Reactions: Larry and Sid
40min flailing in the pool, still working on breathing. A bit of a struggle to get up this morning, was sore and sleepy. Got up late, briefly contemplated running to the gym, but quickly dispelled that idea. Good thing, too, as flailing takes a lot of energy!

Drove to the gym at 5:20p. They open at 5, and it was fairly busy already with 35+ people. Just one lady in the pool doing water exercises/rehab or something. I took another lane, and the other two were free until the next guy came in at 6a for some laps.

Before I left, I think that I got the timing of the strokes and breathing a bit better. It was actually helpful after the other guy got in, and I could see how far he was lifting himself out of the water when breathing.

I understand there's pool etiquette with the lanes and all. Hopefully, I can get there early enough each day, so I can get a slow lane to myself, since right now I do lot of stopping in the middle of the pool.

So, no running/swimming/running just yet, but it's only day 1! Always good to aim high. I did find it handy that I didn't need to hydrate at all, since I was sucking down plenty of water!

Maybe some kettlebell later today. I found some bruises on my left arm where I whacked myself, so I still need to work on form. I'm getting the hang of using the kettleblocks, but they hurt more with poor form since they're rectangular instead of round, but the weight is adjustable.

1.05 miles on the treadmill in my vff speeds. I'm not sure the exact mileage for running as I did a 2.5 minute walking warm-up with 10 minutes of running and then 2.5 minutes of a walking cool-down so I'll just count the whole time on the treadmill. I used to run a lot based on time and I am going to start trying to do that again. For me this really only works out well when on the treadmill. Also did some strength training of chest and tri's while in the gym for about 45 minutes. Felt pretty good despite not working out for the last two weeks and gaining 5'ish pounds. Tomorrow or later today might be a different story though. ;) Also getting back on my good diet and am going to push really hard to lose a lot of weight.

‎1. 30min swim class at the sportsplex
2. got a membership at the local gym to practice swimming
3. 45min kettlebell
4. 2hrs at Aquatica, bought a season pass
5. bought a running backpack at the mall, when I realized that the gym is only ~3mi from the house, so I can jog there, swim, then jog back before work
6. ready for football!
Nah, I'm not into watch rich guys running around for a bit, then resting for inordinate amounts of time during the most excessive day of commercials all year. Besides, I have to get up at 4A so I can do number 5!

Edit: By the way, I don't have anything against people having a good time watching sports. I'd just rather be exercising myself, rather than watching someone else do it. That's all.

Cool! What kind of swim class? I need to find one in my area, or hire one of my kids' swim instructors for one on one so I can learn to swim like the for-real swimmers do. Around here, they mostly just have terrified of water learning to swim, not stroke improvement.

Reactions: Sid
Sunday: 2.0 hours (or so) of cross-country skiing, before watching the Super Bowl.
Today: 5.18 mile run, with Beyonce playing on the mental iPod

Still moving a little gingerly after smacking el culo on hardpack snow, but Advil helps. Again, still getting better with each day.

Also, today was by far my most prolific as far as "dig me, I'm barefoot" goes: Got 3 reactions. The first was subtle: Rounding the corner from my house, a woman and her daughter were waiting in front of the school - as I passed their car, I heard the familiar "thunk" of power door locks. The second was on the path - I encountered a mother and her two children; her oldest (maybe 4 y/o) pointed at my feet and exclaimed something in what I assume to be Chinese - I smiled and waved at the mother who laughed. Finally, I ran past some teenagers and one of them said "Running without shoes is not good for you, sir!" - I didn't have a response at the ready, so I just shrugged my shoulders and kept going. I should have said something like "So is drinking, smoking and doing sh!tty designer drugs, you ungrateful little bastards. Now, pull up your pants and get off my lawn!" - hell, if I can't make any sense, might as well go for a good non sequitur.

Slept in a little this morning, which was good because I couldn't decide last night whether I wanted to do 6km in shoes or 2km barefoot in the morning. Time constraints aren't always a bad thing.

I just ran normally, but for some reason that I can't work out, I ended up half a minute per km faster than my usual barefoot pace, and 15s per km faster than my 'fast' shod pace from last week. Maybe I slept better last night? I don't know. That seems like a good thing, but I am just a little bit worried that I'll start running at that pace out of habit and blow myself up spectacularly on my running club's big 8km race on Friday.

Cool! What kind of swim class? I need to find one in my area, or hire one of my kids' swim instructors for one on one so I can learn to swim like the for-real swimmers do. Around here, they mostly just have terrified of water learning to swim, not stroke improvement.
I just used google and lucked out. I know that the local university has classes, too. However, it was easier signing up at the sportsplex. Hiring your kids' instructor sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: Bare Lee
35min in the pool. Same lady doing her water exercises in the far lane. Another lady was swimmng laps in the near lane. I figured that I'd go in 1 of 2 center lanes near the exercise lady. There aren't any signs posted for fast or slow lanes, so I guess it's up to us to figure it out. A fella joined in the remaining center lane, later.

Managed the first swim across all right, breathing on every third stroke. Then started getting tired, and would stop halfway in the middle to catch my breathe. I'm still not breathing right, since I'm running out of breathe. I think it's going okay, though. It's only day 2 after all, and it took me over 2 years to become comfortable with running. Called it quits after 35min when I started panting a bit, as I figured that wasn't a good combination with water. Did about 10+ laps with the stopping and starting. Well, there's always tomorrow. At least I wasn't sucking down water the whole time, today.

After whacking myself with the bulky Kettleblock for 35min last night, I'm ordering a 25lb bell. Should make the experience a lot more enjoyable.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts