Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

Sixth week? Already? Auweia...

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Sixth week? Already? Auweia...

Crazy, isn't it? and you know what that means?
SSSSSSPPPPPPPPRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG IS COMING SOON!
according to the eastern rodent

Haha, I didn't even realize I'd written that. It's German for 'oy vey' which is Yiddish for auweia... B-)

And I wrote a dramatic report on today's run in last week's thread.... Sigh
I would say that oy vey as well for my mileage for this year Willie... Only 14.66 miles so far... I get to see the Dr next week so maybe I will get to find out soon what is the matter with my heel/ankle. I ran yesterday about a mile and man did I pay for it later. Today I feel ok again so far, but yesterday afternoon and evening was in quite a bit of pain. Seems it hurts when I push off, even when walking, but if I just go slow and lift the foot it doesn't hurt much, if at all. Sigh, eventually I am going to get totally healed and when I do you higher mileage folks better watch out because I will hopefully get to a point where I can challenge you all for mileage (kilometer'age). ;)

And Nick (too much hassle to double quote in tappatalk) be patient dude! But if the doc doesn't find anything conclusive, just start yer own course of therapy.
I've been patient for the last year... I just want this fixed, but not sure if you saw me say this near the beginning of the year or not, but this year there are no running goals and only one race in August or September (can't remember date) because it was so cheap to sign up a year early (I will sell the ticket if I am not healthy enough to do it). Anyhow, this is my year for getting healthy so no mileage or specific running goals. I do have goals to keep trying to lose weight and eating right and keep working out in the gym. Not sure if I can keep the weight off without the running though.

ok, I'm just going to cross-post this over to this thread. The sixth week thread. Because this is the sixth week. Dammit.

Tuesday:

Speaking of running, I just got back from one of those things. Wasn't going to run today but I was feeling pretty peppy and bouncy, then the weather turned bad - Howling wind! Driving sleet! Hail! Dark brooding sky! - and I thought, cool, let's go play.

So I got suited up, did some pre-run stetchy-rolly stuff, got the dog all excited about going out, and we went downstairs together. Opened the door and a big blast of rain came at us and I saw Leni's ears and tail sag to the floor. She ran out the door, stayed close to the house, took a quick wiz, looked at me pleadingly and when I said 'yeah awright', she sprinted back up the stairs.

So I went back up, fed her, told her she's wimp and enjoy her time with the cats.

Back downstairs, no dog, weather even worse than it was and now the old neighbor lady was milling around doing something, no idea what, but as I went by, she waved and me where the dog was. I told her Leni didn't want to come out in this weather and she answered, 'smart dog'. Hmm.

I really enjoy this horrible weather stuff, I don't really know why. I tell myself it's just good training because you never know what kind of weather you'll get during an ultra and other really long run, so it's best to become accustomed to the worst stuff possible. But really, I just like it.

So, after about ten minutes of 50km/h cross winds, hailstones bouncing off the side of my head, totally drenched top to bottom, it all suddenly stopped. Wind died, clouds parted, the sun came out and the whole world was glitening like it'd been bubble wrapped. By this time, I was out of the village and up on a ridge overlooking what is probably technically a 'dale', but whatever it is, it's like a postcard, with another little village, Hutschdorf, nestled at the bottom.

That's when I thought about my dog. Poor Leni, she was really missing something special here...

Well the rest of the run was unspectactular. I did the same13k route I did on Sunday, but ten minutes faster. Got home, was greeted at the door by a curious, excited Lenidog, showered, drank a little OJ, shared a yogurt with the dog and the cats ... and now here we are sitting on the couch together, writing about it.

Five and a half miles today on the indoor track-again.
Oh, I did kick arse he,he. Did I mention that I kicked arse? :p

Reactions: Bare Lee
Sigh, eventually I am going to get totally healed and when I do you higher mileage folks better watch out because I will hopefully get to a point where I can challenge you all for mileage (kilometer'age). ;)

Should I be afraid?
Nick, I have a feeling that this is going to be your year on getting healthy and all that.

Reactions: NickW
35min in the pool. Same lady doing her water exercises in the far lane. Another lady was swimmng laps in the near lane. I figured that I'd go in 1 of 2 center lanes near the exercise lady. There aren't any signs posted for fast or slow lanes, so I guess it's up to us to figure it out. A fella joined in the remaining center lane, later.

Managed the first swim across all right, breathing on every third stroke. Then started getting tired, and would stop halfway in the middle to catch my breathe. I'm still not breathing right, since I'm running out of breathe. I think it's going okay, though. It's only day 2 after all, and it took me over 2 years to become comfortable with running. Called it quits after 35min when I started panting a bit, as I figured that wasn't a good combination with water. Did about 10+ laps with the stopping and starting. Well, there's always tomorrow. At least I wasn't sucking down water the whole time, today.

After whacking myself with the bulky Kettleblock for 35min last night, I'm ordering a 25lb bell. Should make the experience a lot more enjoyable.

Hey, Sid, were on similar levels with the swimming. I have finally worked up to doing the first full lap (back and forth) without stopping, but after that, wall to wall and I need a rest. 10 laps freestyle in 30 minutes has been the best I've been able to do so far. My friend who swims said my form looks fine, but the breathing thing is what is getting me as well. It's so frustrating when you see all these folks doing nonstop laps forever and looking so smooth, but like you said, new skills take time. Today I tried taking more breaks to just kick my way across, but still got very discouraged. Keep me posted on your progress; it helps to know a beginner as well.

Reactions: Sid
1 hour gym, same ole same ole
8-9 laps at swim, plus a few laps just kicking my way back and forth. Will try again for tomorrow or thursday if there is time. Midday swim is definitely less crowded than the evenign session.

ankle still arguing with me, so no running. did a mile or so on treadmill here and there. yesterday nothing like that, but lots of walking in my big heavy boots (it's that snowy that even i've been wearing boots, and i've always hated boots) may have irritated? The boots make my walking feel funny.
Anyhow, it's not painful enough that I think there is a tear---just uncomfortable enough where i know it's not right to run on it(though I typically have a decent pain tolerance, so who knows). So frustrating, and I still have no idea how it happened, but I hate to have to be more drastic and skip all leg activities. I'll try wearing the compression ankle sleeve more regularly, icing more often, and trying to avoid too much walking? Who knows. Grrrrrr...And yes, this post is pure whine. I feel like SUCH a nonrunner right now.

So frustrating, and I still have no idea how it happened, but I hate to have to be more drastic and skip all leg activities. I'll try wearing the compression ankle sleeve more regularly, icing more often, and trying to avoid too much walking? Who knows. Grrrrrr...And yes, this post is pure whine. I feel like SUCH a nonrunner right now.

Don't get frustrated, the bad times make one apreciate the good times so much more.
At least you're able to keep active so smile!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Don't get frustrated, the bad times make one apreciate the good times so much more.
At least you're able to keep active so smile!
totally.
I'm very thankful for that. And I'm thankful for the break to focus on other things.
And my arms are looking GOOD, since I never did so much upper body st in all my life. It's kind of funny; in my swimsuit I look like a total swimmer now----only without the skills yet.
Can lift my 7 yr old, and even my 9 yr old, no problem. Can shovel heavy thick knee deep snow for 1.5 hrs just for a workout (I shovel cute little paths around our property, ostensibly for the cats, and do the long driveway when we have a snow thrower to do it), and not be sore the next day. I never could have said that in my 20s, and I'm way older than my 20s.

totally.
I'm very thankful for that. And I'm thankful for the break to focus on other things.
And my arms are looking GOOD, since I never did so much upper body st in all my life. It's kind of funny; in my swimsuit I look like a total swimmer now----only without the skills yet.
Can lift my 7 yr old, and even my 9 yr old, no problem. Can shovel heavy thick knee deep snow for 1.5 hrs just for a workout (I shovel cute little paths around our property, ostensibly for the cats, and do the long driveway when we have a snow thrower to do it), and not be sore the next day. I never could have said that in my 20s, and I'm way older than my 20s.

See? positive results are already showing. Who knows, when you comeback to running you might even surprise yourself you might be a better runner.

(I shovel cute little paths around our property, ostensibly for the cats, and do the long driveway when we have a snow thrower to do it)
I used to do this only for my daughter to be able to drive her ford truck around in the snow (she was maybe 3 or so at the time, back well before she bacame a know it all teenager). I also made her chains for that little ford truck too out of rope. :D

30 minutes of high intensity intervals on the bike in the gym and became that sweaty chunky guy that grosses people out. I usually don't sweat like that. Wow... Then I did about 20 minutes of the P90-x yoga and then realized just how long the yoga video is... I will have to re-evaluate my workout days again... I guess right now instead of running M-W-F I will bike those days along with ST and then Tues and Thurs I will do the P90-x yoga by itself. I forgot that it was like an 1hr40min long or so. Should be really good for me I think to do that twice a week.

2.13 miles in cold (32F), mostly dry conditions. The lungs and legs were a bit tight, but not as bad as I thought they might be. The average pace was 9:15/mile and the second mile was 8:50, so that's decent for being on the tail end of the cooties. Was pleased that I didn't cough at all during the run, but the lungs are sure responding to the deep breathing now. I'm sure it's good for me. I wrote myself this pep-talk and thought it might encourage a few of you who are also dealing with set-backs. http://dailyimprovisations.com/the-nampa-barefoot-lady-plots-her-next-workout-comeback/

Oh, I forgot. I managed some arm work with the TRX, and a few core exercises.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon