Mileage Reporting 44th week of 2012

It's hard to say, it's getting better, and there weren't any effects yesterday from Tuesday's run, but there's still a little something there. If I hadn't stubbed my toe on Tuesday, I would try about 4.5 miles on it today. But with the stubbed toe, I'll probably try another three mile run when I get out again. Hopefully next week I'll be able to do some halfway decent running again. But I'm not going to push it--don't want to risk any set-backs. Any kind of running at this point is a blessing. I've kind of come to the conclusion that Dama was right. It's probably the MCL where it attaches to the tibia. A crucial ligament so I don't to aggravate it. I'm not a NFL running back getting big bucks to play hurt . . .

Probably a good idea to be cautious with it. Glad to hear it is improving though. Do you think those ointments are helping? I think you said you were using Topricin and something else right?

Probably a good idea to be cautious with it. Glad to hear it is improving though. Do you think those ointments are helping? I think you said you were using Topricin and something else right?
Yah, I was using Topricin and Penetrex and icing it 4-7 times a day. And now I'm taking Damian's Hammer pills. It's really hard to say if any of it does any good, as the injury was already healing well before I started doing this stuff. Same problem with all sample-of-one tests/studies I guess. But almost everyone agrees that icing is good, and since I stubbed my toe on Tuesday, I've stopped icing the knee and have been icing the toe. Maybe I need to buy more ice packs! I can hardly wait for my first decent run in a few weeks.

Reactions: NickW
Well, hope you keep healing Lee. I'm using the Topricin on my knee but I can't tell if it's doing any good...
You need to hurt both knees in the exact same manner and then apply the Topricin to just one knee and see if it makes any difference . . .

I just wonder if topical stuff works past the epidermis. I mean, think of all the stuff our skin is exposed to--gas, gloss, garlic. Wouldn't it be kind of bad if all that seeped down into the ligaments? But everyone recommends icing. And I think active recovery once the injury has gotten halfway through the healing process can be good. The stimulation and extra blood flow seems to speed things up, as long as you're not aggravating it. It's a tricky balance. Last week I did some adduction and abduction stuff, which put lateral stress on the knee, and that definitely aggravated it for a few days. So none of that stuff for a while. When running, I stop and walk the minute I start to feel the knee strain. That's my only real guideline. As I think I've mentioned, once I can run 4-5 miles comfortably, I think I might stay there and work on getting my pace down to 8mm, and then begin to add distance again. Let's call it the Kenyan Protocol. More and more I'm convinced that a faster pace will take care of a lot of this stuff. I just feel my body moving well when I'm going slightly faster. You've said the same thing, so it'd be interesting if you tried the same method, especially since you're a naturally faster runner than me.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
You need to hurt both knees in the exact same manner and then apply the Topricin to just one knee and see if it makes any difference . . .

I just wonder if topical stuff works past the epidermis. I mean, think of all the stuff our skin is exposed to--gas, gloss, garlic. Wouldn't it be kind of bad if all that seeped down into the ligaments? But everyone recommends icing. And I think active recovery once the injury has gotten halfway through the healing process can be good. The stimulation and extra blood flow seems to speed things up, as long as you're not aggravating it. It's a tricky balance. Last week I did some adduction and abduction stuff, which put lateral stress on the knee, and that definitely aggravated it for a few days. So none of that stuff for a while. When running, I stop and walk the minute I start to feel the knee strain. That's my only real guideline. As I think I've mentioned, once I can run 4-5 miles comfortably, I think I might stay there and work on getting my pace down to 8mm, and then begin to add distance again. Let's call it the Kenyan Protocol. More and more I'm convinced that a faster pace will take care of a lot of this stuff. I just feel my body moving well when I'm going slightly faster. You've said the same thing, so it'd be interesting if you tried the same method, especially since you're a naturally faster runner than me.
I'm trying to find a balance for my knee to heal, because I really don't think it is a serious injury, very minor in fact. This week I have actually had to make some big changes in my gym routine because it was aggravating the knee. Running doesn't seem to bother it, but the squats, push presses, and some other exercises really aggravated it a lot.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I'm trying to find a balance for my knee to heal, because I really don't think it is a serious injury, very minor in fact. This week I have actually had to make some big changes in my gym routine because it was aggravating the knee. Running doesn't seem to bother it, but the squats, push presses, and some other exercises really aggravated it a lot.
Yah, I'm going to lay off all weights stuff that puts pressure on the knee. Today I'll skip the squats, lunges, abductors, and few other things.

Sorry, refresh my memory, how did you hurt your knee and where is the pain located?

I'm just hoping both our D AND our offense show up. Problem with young teams, inconsistency.
I hope our game-managing QB shows up.

P.S., since we're living parallel BFR lives, make sure to keep your eyes out for possible toe-stubbing material . . .

Yah, I'm going to lay off all weights stuff that puts pressure on the knee. Today I'll skip the squats, lunges, abductors, and few other things.

Sorry, refresh my memory, how did you hurt your knee and where is the pain located?

I hope our game-managing QB shows up.

P.S., since we're living parallel BFR lives, make sure to keep your eyes out for possible toe-stubbing material . . .
The knee pain just showed up one morning about 3-4 months ago now. Back when I was doing the triple broad jumps. I think it was the jumps that did it, it just didn't hurt right when I did it. Like I said I woke up one morning and it was a little tender. The pain is on the front, just below the knee cap (like not under the cap itself, but below as in closer to the shin. I believe it is possibly patellar tendonitis (commonly known as jumpers knee). It really doesn't bother me walking or running, mainly only when I walk down stairs or do squats or anything like that. It really is pretty minor but a week or two ago when I found that acorn under the leaf as I was running and my foot tried to take off out from under me aggravated the knee worse. Since then the pain has gotten mellower again, back to the minor mildly irritating pain that I had before the acorn incident.

The knee pain just showed up one morning about 3-4 months ago now. Back when I was doing the triple broad jumps. I think it was the jumps that did it, it just didn't hurt right when I did it. Like I said I woke up one morning and it was a little tender. The pain is on the front, just below the knee cap (like not under the cap itself, but below as in closer to the shin. I believe it is possibly patellar tendonitis (commonly known as jumpers knee). It really doesn't bother me walking or running, mainly only when I walk down stairs or do squats or anything like that. It really is pretty minor but a week or two ago when I found that acorn under the leaf as I was running and my foot tried to take off out from under me aggravated the knee worse. Since then the pain has gotten mellower again, back to the minor mildly irritating pain that I had before the acorn incident.
Sounds like the right diagnosis, for whatever my opinion is worth. Probably not much you can do except rest it and maybe ice it. Like I said, I'm pretty skeptical about the topical creams but it can't hurt if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks. That Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator that Damian recommended gave me some powerful farts--and I generally don't get gas with the Paleo diet. They recommend taking 4 capsules once or twice a day. I was just taking 3 or so per day. Now I'll take just one a day, since I've already bought them.

Sounds like the right diagnosis, for whatever my opinion is worth. Probably not much you can do except rest it and maybe ice it. Like I said, I'm pretty skeptical about the topical creams but it can't hurt if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks. That Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator Damian recommended gave me some powerful farts--and I generally don't get gas with the Paleo diet. They recommend taking 4 capsules once or twice a day. I was just taking 3 or so. Now I'll take just one a day, since I've already bought them.
Hahahahaha! I bet the wife was not too pleased with you. For me, when I eat pastas, or I guess just grains in general I get real gassy. My wife loves all the grain type foods, but then she gets mad at me when I get gassy from them...but then she complains when I try to make sure we eat more whole foods because they are boring and we end up eating the same types of things...

Reactions: Bare Lee
3 mile run in huaraches. Got fed up with them and almost chucked them in someones yard. The stinking heel kept falling down every 1/4 mile or so on the left foot, so I would tighten it and then the foot would hurt, so then I would try to do a microadjustment and the dang heel strap started falling down again. I am so sick of these and hope that either the Soft Stars or Pah Tempes that I ordered work for me. Oh and I did a half mile barefoot walk back.

7.4km today, with 3x800m intervals, average interval pace 4'40"/km, can't tell about my stride and cadence, as the app I am using is screwed again....I will re-install the dev version I got, as this one was at least giving me the right cadence !!

5 mile tempo run barefoot, managed an average 8:30 mm pace. Not as great as last time, but not too shabby, since I think it was for the whole 5 miles this time.
Swam 25 minutes of basically drills in the pool. Still problem solving the pool in many ways.

5 miles, evening, in my huaraches. It was light out and dry. Unusual conditions lately. I felt spoiled.

trick or treating with the kids in the mid 30s temps wind and rain. BRRRRRRR. Lasted about 20 minutes in my huaraches, before I had to run (numbly) to my car to get the soft stars. I would have been fine but for all the standing around. I think this should somehow count, though, because it marks progress on my cold/wet weather adaptation plan.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7