Mileage Reporting 44th week of 2012

I'm gonna take today off. Just spent an hour yelling at Apple and now lost motivation. Now I have to get ready to run my errands before my boy has to take his nap. Maybe tomorrow I'll do an extra long session of running and gym to make up for no gym yesterday and no running or gym today...

Reactions: happysongbird
I'm gonna take today off. Just spent an hour yelling at Apple and now lost motivation. Now I have to get ready to run my errands before my boy has to take his nap. Maybe tomorrow I'll do an extra long session of running and gym to make up for no gym yesterday and no running or gym today...

It's not the end of the world to get a day off workout once in a while. On the other hand, your posts indicates that you may have needed a workout for stress relief. Any resolution with the apple?

Reactions: Bare Lee
3 miles / 5.15 km mid-morning, 30 F, with maybe a 5-6 mph wind. It’s funny, last winter I would wait until the warmest part of the day to run, but having signed up for YOW’s Winter Challenge, I almost want to go out earlier so that I can accumulate colder mileage. Makes no sense, even for a Minnesotan.

Anyway, I had some business just east of downtown St. Paul today, so I decided to run around the same lake where I tweaked my left knee four weeks ago yesterday. I was still wondering if a witchcraft mine had been somehow planted against me there, sent from Mozambique (a possibility not to be lightly discounted given the high connectivity the globe now enjoys, and given sorcerer’s well-known ability to travel great distances at night through various media), so I decided to run counter-clockwise this time, in order to avoid passing over the same spot at the same distance into the run.

Well, it worked. After about two miles my knee felt a little something, not even stiffness, but a little something, just a little before the spot, but I passed over it successfully and completed the circuit around the lake. Running in the opposite direction seems to have undone the negative mojo.

My stubbed toe was a little stiff to begin with, but after a while it warmed up. Or was it that it numbed down? The stubbedness provoked just the slightest limp in my gait, and I should’ve probably have given it another day or two to heal, but with so much time off already, I needed to get this run in. No harm done apparently. I’m icing both the knee and the toe presently just in case.

I wore my Garmin for the first time in a long while. Started out around 10:10 mm pace, but finished up around 10:35 mm. Good lord. Hopefully next week I can begin speeding things up just a bit, but overall it’s been a good week getting back to it.

Any resolution with the apple?
Ya, the Iphone 4s is the last product I buy from Apple. I have been having a problem for the last 3-4 weeks where I was missing calls and texts intermittently. It was completely random, like I'd be texting with my wife back and forth about to do lists and what not, then my phone would be totally silent and no vibration to alert me that I had a text or call. Well, an hour later when I hadn't responded the person (my wife or whomever it was trying to contact me) would try to get me again and this time my phone would ding and vibrate like it's supposed to. Well, I would look at my phone and realize I had two messages or calls and had missed one. Needless to say, when it was the wife trying to get in touch with me she would think I was just being passive aggressive and ignoring her... Long story short, 3-4 weeks ago I ran one of THEIR updates on my phone. So, I call AT&T who really were very nice and tried to help me, and I have insurance on my phone, but they told me that since my phone is still under warranty it would be best to just call Apple and they would take care of me. WRONG. They told me that while my phone was still under warranty, the technical support had lapsed, meaning they wanted to charge me to talk to someone and so I could enact the warranty (at this point none of us knew it was a software issue and not a phone issue). At this point I blew. What is the point of having a warranty if you can't talk to someone to use it? I finally got helped by one of the supervisors and it turned out (hopefully) that this was caused from THEIR update I ran a few weeks ago. This is not the first time I have had problems with Apple and in fact I have an Ipod touch that is almost worthless now. It apparently can not be updated which means I cannot download my more recent music for my daughter on it. She is stuck with the 114 songs that were on it from 3 years ago when I used to use it instead of my phone. Anyhow, I love the useability of the Iphone for us non-techies, and I hate the useability of the few Androids (I am so not smart when it comes to technology) I have tried to own in the past, but at least the Android phones I've had in the past the companies tried to take care of their customers. Apple just wants to bend their customers over even if they have a warranty to make a profit (my own personal feeling based on the way they have treated me and my wife)...

Well, I've never posted in this forum before, so here goes.
Logged 42 miles over the past week, about 6 miles daily. It's my longest streak and cumulative distance in a week.
Wanted to lose a bit of weight, too, and gosh, the pounds just fly off at these distances.
Taking a rest tomorrow and going to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival to refuel!

Have to say it was a pretty awesome experience. It was a bit of a stretch for me. Mildly sore here and there, but I wanted to push myself a bit. A bit addictive I suppose, but I don't think I'll be doing that again for a while.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to keep some of the mileage and work strength training back in. I'm thinking alternating days running and strength during the week. Two 6mi runs during the week and a longer one (13+) during the weekend.

I'm not sure where to put the leg strength workout, maybe 2 days after the long run? I guess I'll have try it and see how it goes...

Well, I've never posted in this forum before, so here goes.
Logged 42 miles over the past week, about 6 miles daily. It's my longest streak and cumulative distance in a week.
Wanted to lose a bit of weight, too, and gosh, the pounds just fly off at these distances.
Taking a rest tomorrow and going to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival to refuel!

Have to say it was a pretty awesome experience. It was a bit of a stretch for me. Mildly sore here and there, but I wanted to push myself a bit. A bit addictive I suppose, but I don't think I'll be doing that again for a while.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to keep some of the mileage and work strength training back in. I'm thinking alternating days running and strength during the week. Two 6mi runs during the week and a longer one (13+) during the weekend.

I'm not sure where to put the leg strength workout, maybe 2 days after the long run? I guess I'll have try it and see how it goes...
Wow Sid, great mileage! I've been a bit out of commission for the last month, but your last comments describe pretty much the (idealized) program I'm aiming for. I've uploaded it here. Have a look and see what you think. I put the legs ST day right after the long run, and then have two days off before the next run, but because of my knee-tweak, I've yet to implement this routine fully. I'd like to get your feedback, since we're thinking along the same lines.

Attachments

• Exercise Routine 12.11.03.pdf
    120.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Sid
I have been reading this thread for a while, but have not posted since my mileage seems so small, but perhaps this will motivate me to keep increasing my mileage. I did 4 miles on Wednesday in the rain, one 3.5 miles yesterday, getting home just before the rain started. I'll have to work up to running completely bare in the rain, seeing as my feet had a couple worn spots that were peeling. My miles yesterday on dry road weren't too bad though, a little tender tonight at work, but no blisters.

I have been reading this thread for a while, but have not posted since my mileage seems so small, but perhaps this will motivate me to keep increasing my mileage. I did 4 miles on Wednesday in the rain, one 3.5 miles yesterday, getting home just before the rain started. I'll have to work up to running completely bare in the rain, seeing as my feet had a couple worn spots that were peeling. My miles yesterday on dry road weren't too bad though, a little tender tonight at work, but no blisters.
Yah, I didn't participate for a long while, because I thought it was all about piling up the mileage, and I'm not a high-mileage runner either. But I think it's more about sharing each other's running experiences, be they high mileage, training for races, speedy, or just part of a general fitness program, as is my case. Welcome aboard!

Wow Sid, great mileage! I've been a bit out of commission for the last month, but your last comments describe pretty much the (idealized) program I'm aiming for.
Thanks!
Best wishes for you to get back on track quickly!
I've uploaded it here. Have a look and see what you think. I put the legs ST day right after the long run, and then have two days off before the next run, but because of my knee-tweak, I've yet to implement this routine fully. I'd like to get your feedback, since we're thinking along the same lines.
It looks like a solid program, Lee. I'm still tweaking mine a bit. I'm thinking about adding a recovery run after my long run.

Instead of alternating run days, I might stack them instead. I'm not doing a marathon, but I've seen training schedules that have back to back runs. After some base building, it seems that I can tolerate that okay. Such as long run, recovery run, no run, run, run, strength-legs, no run. I'd have to figure out where to put the upper body workouts, and decide if I want a whole day of rest somewhere in there. Essentially, I'd need to squeeze in 4 sessions of running, 4 sessions of strength somehow...

Maybe...
Sa Long
Su Recov Run, Shoulders
M Chest
T 6mi
W 6mi, Back (PM)
Th Legs
Fri Rest (Or walk? I don't know if I can tolerate doing nothing!)

All workouts would be in the AM, except Wed with Back in PM.

Thanks!
Best wishes for you to get back on track quickly!

It looks like a solid program, Lee. I'm still tweaking mine a bit. I'm thinking about adding a recovery run after my long run.

Instead of alternating run days, I might stack them instead. I'm not doing a marathon, but I've seen training schedules that have back to back runs. After some base building, it seems that I can tolerate that okay. Such as long run, recovery run, no run, run, run, strength-legs, no run. I'd have to figure out where to put the upper body workouts, and decide if I want a whole day of rest somewhere in there. Essentially, I'd need to squeeze in 4 sessions of running, 4 sessions of strength somehow...
Yah, I've considered adding shorter, recovery-type runs to one or two of my ST days, but right now I don't have the time for it, and I'm really happy with my three-ST-days-a-week routine--I'm getting good results--so I wouldn't be willing to cut down on that. I'm trying to limit the exercise to one hour per day, and then once a week on the weekend I'd like to get in a 90-minute run, maybe eventually building up to a two-hour run. My Sunday run to the track would then count as my recover run. Anyway, right now it's all theoretical; I'm still a few weeks out before I'll be confident enough to begin pushing the running more. I know the knee is still a bit precarious and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the rehab. Even running just three miles at a slow pace yesterday was a blessing.

But I agree with your previous comment that there's nothing like running for getting or keeping the weight off. Since my knee-tweak a month ago, I think I've gained a pound or two, whereas before I was losing a pound or two per month.

Anyway, hope to see you continue tuning in here.

Maybe...
Sa Long
Su Recov Run, Shoulders
M Chest
T 6mi
W 6mi, Back (PM)
Th Legs
Fri Rest (Or walk? I don't know if I can tolerate doing nothing!)

All workouts would be in the AM, except Wed with Back in PM.
I guess I would question doing your Shoulders right before Chest. I like to do Chest-Upper Arms, then Back because they don't really have much to do with each other, except triceps, and then Shoulders/Top, because I don't want my shoulders at all tired/sore when I do the heavier weights with the chest and back stuff. I also like doing the Shoulders/Top right before the longer run because they also don't really have anything to do with each other. I like Chest-Upper Arms ST before the tempo run because I feel like I use the arms more when I pick up the pace, and then doing the Back before the most intensive Intervals and Hills day really blasts the legs for power.

I also think having 48 hours recovery is important for ST. I did some back-to-back ST days during the first weeks after my knee tweak, and it was good to over-stress the muscles/joints for a short while, but I think long-term only aerobic stuff can be sustained on back-to-back days. But that's just what works for me. With my current (again, idealized) routine, I run four days a week, but I could see adding one more shortish run, but I'm paranoid about adding too much there now as aging begins to take its toll in terms of recovery potential. But I agree with you, I don't think a complete rest day is really necessary if you mix things up properly.

Yah, I've considered adding shorter, recovery-type runs to one or two of my ST days, but right now I don't have the time for it, and I'm really happy with my three-ST-days-a-week routine--I'm getting good results--so I wouldn't be willing to cut down on that...
That sounds good. Always good to tweak the schedule to fit the body, rather than tweak a knee trying to fit a schedule. It sounds like you know what you're doing there.

I guess I would question doing your shoulders right before chest...
You have a very good point. I'd really prefer to space things out a bit more. I just don't know how tired I'll be after the long run and recovery run. If I feel good, then maybe I'll hit a bigger group like back first. I put shoulders on the recovery day, because with the videos that I do, shoulders is the shortest and least tiring workout. My back and chest do get a decent workout, and I probably want to workout and rest those well in advance of a long run.

Now, that I'm thinking about this. Maybe I'll want to alternate a week of mostly running, then a week of mostly strength. It might just not be reasonable to squeeze everything in one week. I'm liking the concept of alternating weeks more and more. Hey, thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off you!

Always good to tweak the schedule to fit the body, rather than tweak a knee trying to fit a schedule.

Good one!

Now, that I'm thinking about this. Maybe I'll want to alternate a week of mostly running, then a week of mostly strength.

I'll be interested in hearing how this goes if you try it. Sort of a meta-alteration. I don't think it would work for me, mentally, but it might get good results. If I go back-to-back days, it feels too soon for ST, although it can work for running, but if I take two days off, it seems too long for running, and often for ST as well.

Hey, thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off you!

Likewise!

But I agree with your previous comment that there's nothing like running for getting or keeping the weight off. Since my knee-tweak a month ago, I think I've gained a pound or two, whereas before I was losing a pound or two per month.
All things considered, that's still pretty good if it's only 1-2 pounds!

I'm still struggling for consistency, as I can put on and take off weight pretty easily. I just want to keep things steady. If I'm not careful, my dietary intake can fluctuate significantly. Old habits die hard, I suppose. It seems to happen when I become complacent and introduce a new snack/junk food item into the home. I need to keep reminding myself not to do that!

Reactions: Bare Lee