Mileage Reporting 44th week of 2012

8.1 miles in 55 sunny degrees. All but 0.1 barefoot. Over dressed, but was able to layer off the long sleeve shirt at 1.5 miles. Definitely the route with rougher asphalt sections. Tried to not worry about time and let my feet do the running. Felt good, but I think I need to find a little smoother route if I want to work on better times for my distance. Any thoughts from you longer distance runners? How do you all pick your routes? Maybe I should start a separate thread on this subject....I think I will.
And I get the idea you live out in the countryside?
Don't rule out giving yourself the adventure of once in a while driving to a place you think might be fun for a long run.

Reactions: happysongbird
And I get the idea you live out in the countryside?
Don't rule out giving yourself the adventure of once in a while driving to a place you think might be fun for a long run.
I hadn't thought about that. Good idea.
Yes, it is small town, relatively rural.

That's how I ended up being more of a huarache runner than a bf runner. My times still stink, so that wasn't the issue, but around here my road route options are severely limited (rough chip seal i don't like, attacking dogs, dangerous driving high speed coutnry roads, overly cambered rough roads with no room in the ditches for when cars pass, too many deterrents). At least with the huaraches I have some options rather than, say 8 loops around the 1 mile of chip seal in my neighborhood. And rough asphalt? Really? I guess there coudl be such a thing. Asphalt would be dreamy......
As for routes, after controlling for abovementioned constraints, I pick for scenery, open areas (for nighttime---moonlight works better), shade in the day, hilliness, etc. Have a time exploring on google maps or whatever.
It was a lot of fun for a while plotting routes then trying to implement them for the first time--like mini adventures or races w/ no support crew.
I know I am a creature of habit. I will talk to my husband about alternate routes; see if he'll let me out on a longer leash. ;) But, yes, I also like knowing where I am going to meet dogs. That unknown also tends to keep me in familiar places.
A lot of the roads are recently chip sealed. They seem to be doing it much more often and in more places these days. I'm going to blame government work projects. Chip sealing the roads to create jobs.

3.2 miles / 5.1 km. 30F. I had some banking to do so I thought I'd make today's run a utility run. It's 1.6 miles to the nearest branch, or 3.2 roundtrip, which fit my planned distance for today perfectly.
btw I love that you run combining transportation and recreation, and that you often work in bf walk/runs to get your kids to/from. Exercise worked into the regular day is fantastic.

My friend does this to run (literally) errands in his town. How cool. A mile here to the bank, a mile there to the grocery. Carries his shoes for fitting in sake, but runs bf otherwise.
My goal is to someday run to school. Seriously. It's about 33 miles if I take trails (safer), about 28 on dangerous roads. Someday. Maybe I'll just finish my phd first and not have to ;) NOT.
The nearest post office is 7 miles away. Far more doable, but we hardly ever need the post office, so I'd be pretending.

I've ridden my bike to the video store to return videos (about 18 miles round trip),but obviously, this is not serving any practical purpose. Maybe someday I'll live in a BIG town.

I know I am a creature of habit. I will talk to my husband about alternate routes; see if he'll let me out on a longer leash. ;) But, yes, I also like knowing where I am going to meet dogs. That unknown also tends to keep me in familiar places.
A lot of the roads are recently chip sealed. They seem to be doing it much more often and in more places these days. I'm going to blame government work projects. Chip sealing the roads to create jobs.

I've explored a few running routes on bike as well, just to see it up close and find out what the dog situation is.

btw I love that you run combining transportation and recreation, and that you often work in bf walk/runs to get your kids to/from. Exercise worked into the regular day is fantastic.

My friend does this to run (literally) errands in his town. How cool. A mile here to the bank, a mile there to the grocery. Carries his shoes for fitting in sake, but runs bf otherwise.
My goal is to someday run to school. Seriously. It's about 33 miles if I take trails (safer), about 28 on dangerous roads. Someday. Maybe I'll just finish my phd first and not have to ;) NOT.
The nearest post office is 7 miles away. Far more doable, but we hardly ever need the post office, so I'd be pretending.

I've ridden my bike to the video store to return videos (about 18 miles round trip),but obviously, this is not serving any practical purpose. Maybe someday I'll live in a BIG town.
Yah, I try. Even when I'm running errands in the car, I try to schedule my runs for when I'm passing near a river or lake path. The Twin Cities is full of them, and I like variety. Still, I'm a nature boy at heart, so it's hard to live in the middle of the city for me, although I appreciate the convenience. The tame landscapes of city and regional parks help tide me over until we can hopefully can move to someplace with better landscapes and trails nearby in a few years. It'd be fun to get back to cycling again too, in, like, Colorado or someplace. Urban cycling stinks.

Toe update: pain has subsided, but it's still swollen. I'll probably be laid up a few more days, but hopefully I'll good to go by the weekend. Oh well, more rest for my knee I guess, although it's feeling fine after yesterday's run, so that's good news. Kind of funny that just when I'm about finished with having to ice the knee all the time, I'm icing my toe now. Perhaps next week I can start to build the mileage back up in earnest. Would be nice to get back up in the 4-5 miles range at least. Anything less isn't very satisfying. I'll probably get back to where I was a month ago just in time for winter. Rats.

3.5 mi this morning cold rain and wind (mid 30s for temp). wore new thin toe socks with my sandals.
I don't like wearing socks (so weird I used to be ADDICTED to socks, year round), and especially stuff between toes, but these were super thin and by the time i was soaking in the rain i think i was glad to have them on, as I think my feet were a bit warmer than they would have been without them. maybe not. will have to experiment. I don't think that system would have worked in those conditions on a run much longer than 4-5 miles though.

Feet felt fine on the run, only a tiny bit of twingy tightness on top and a tiny remnant of shin splint pain, but I think I felt good enough that I was going at a more normal speed for me (no garmin lately so who knows).
The tofp on the right side is just almost there now, a few hours later with no post run rolling. (gonna! in a minute! got my pvc right here!)

thought for running in 'inclement' weather:

There is a moment, just after opening the front door and feeling the cold wet wind invade the warm, dry house, when my will goes away, when I want to dive back into bed and just be reasonable already. I have to force myself to stop thinking about it and just go, go like someone is behind me waiting to jump. Then I say "get down the driveway first" then "get down the dirt road" then "right onto the pavement" and by that time, I'm happy.
Like jumping in a cold pool. It helps not to carry the garmin these mornings so i don't have to stand in my driveway while waiting for the satellite. Any hesitation and all is lost.

If it's not one thing then it's another, right?!
Yah, lately. I'm getting good at being injured. Isn't barefoot running supposed to diminish injuries? In two and half years of running shod in Chicago, I never had a single niggle.

But bad luck comes in threes, right? Let's see: (1) top-of-the-foot-pain-induced ITBS; (2) mysterious knee-tweak; and now (3) distracted toe-stubbing. OK, looks like I'm done.

Reactions: scedastic
Chocolate chip please. ;)

I'll take two...

OK, finally got the whatever...gumption, druthers, werewithal...to finally move this evening. 5.19 mi in 57:29. The best part is when I ran past some skateboarders, one of which said "Holy Sh!t, he's barefoot!"

Run 6.5km today after 3 days break....Never thought such a short break would affect my running, but it did !!! Slow !!! For November I am changing my schedule and try to run every day (instead of every other day) but decrease the distance. Sunday will be a longer run though...Target for this month 140km

Walked 1.6 miles to and fro daycare in beautiful 50F weather yesterday. Had to limp a bit but the stubbed toe is healing rapidly and the swelling is coming down fast. Will do my Back ST routine today and then tomorrow either my Top ST routine or try a run, if the toe has regained its flex. I'll probably walk with the stroller to pick up the kids at the end of this afternoon to keep the legs loose while I continue to rehab.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7