Mileage Reporting 38th week 2013

Nick thanks for the clarification on the midfoot width I need really wide shoes because of the neuromas.
Hey Lee, how about the width on the vapors? is it good?

The Vapors are similar to the Moc3s in groundfeel, only a bit snugger, so it depends on your preference for snug or loose. I think the size is a bit off though. I normally wear 10 men's but with the Vapor Gloves I wear 9.5. The traction isn't great either, so for snowy conditions I prefer the Vivobarefoot Neo Trails, which are awful on dry asphalt, because of the lugs. I also tried the Vivobarefoot Agua Lites, which also have excellent groundfeel, but a bit less traction than the Vapor Gloves, and are more expensive. I'm still looking for a minimalist minimalist winter shoe to wear in dry conditions with better grip, but perhaps with a super thin sole there's only so much that can be done. Dutchie has recommended the Kigo Drives I think, so I might look into those. I dunno though. I only need shoes a couple dozen times in the winter, I wonder if it's worth the extra expense of continuing my search for the ideal.

Have you considered a pair of these?

9PH5Zcd.jpg

Looks like they should protect you from the cold and glass and snails and snow and they have a thick tread. You could also maybe drive some screws through the soles for extra traction.

Reactions: Owlrun
The Vapors are similar to the Moc3s in groundfeel, only a bit snugger, so it depends on your preference for snug or loose. I think the size is a bit off though. I normally wear 10 men's but with the Vapor Gloves I wear 9.5. The traction isn't great either, so for snowy conditions I prefer the Vivobarefoot Neo Trails, which are awful on dry asphalt, because of the lugs. I also tried the Vivobarefoot Agua Lites, which also have excellent groundfeel, but a bit less traction than the Vapor Gloves, and are more expensive. I'm still looking for a minimalist minimalist winter shoe to wear in dry conditions with better grip, but perhaps with a super thin sole there's only so much that can be done. Dutchie has recommended the Kigo Drives I think, so I might look into those. I dunno though. I only need shoes a couple dozen times in the winter, I wonder if it's worth the extra expense of continuing my search for the ideal.
Well there go the vapors I can't wear snug and I don't think there is such a thing as the "ideal shoe" sadly.

Reactions: Owlrun and NickW
Well there go the vapors I can't wear snug and I don't think there is such a thing as the "ideal shoe" sadly.
You'd be better off with the Aqua Lites if width is a concern, but they're pretty slippery on ice.

9PH5Zcd.jpg

Looks like they should protect you from the cold and glass and snails and snow and they have a thick tread. You could also maybe drive some screws through the soles for extra traction.
Is it still barefoot running if I use these?
51LuTH5Y9pL.jpg

Reactions: dutchie53

9PH5Zcd.jpg

knock it off scratch we are talking serious business here:p

Reactions: Bare Lee
You'd be better off with the Aqua Lites if width is a concern, but they're pretty slippery on ice.

Is it still barefoot running if I use these?
51LuTH5Y9pL.jpg
what part of barefoot don't you understand Lee?:barefoot:

Dama, in my opinion, the Nike Free 3.0 V5 (specifically this model only) is fairly wide. Like I said I have a wide midfoot, which I guess by default would mean that I have a wide forefoot too. Seems a lot of folks with widefeet only have wide forefeet, while my feet actually flare out quite a bit at the midfoot. This causes me to have issues finding shoes, even in the EE size. The shape of the shoe also plays a big role and I don't think there is a perfect shoe for anyone out there due to the variance in the shape of feet. Shoes are made to generally fit the widest population base they can. Someday we will be able to make our own shoes fully customized to our feet, but unfortunately that is not possible yet, at least not for the masses. I guess I read something a while ago about the printer or whatever that could make anything (even customized shoes).

Dama, in my opinion, the Nike Free 3.0 V5 (specifically this model only) is fairly wide. Like I said I have a wide midfoot, which I guess by default would mean that I have a wide forefoot too. Seems a lot of folks with widefeet only have wide forefeet, while my feet actually flare out quite a bit at the midfoot. This causes me to have issues finding shoes, even in the EE size. The shape of the shoe also plays a big role and I don't think there is a perfect shoe for anyone out there due to the variance in the shape of feet. Shoes are made to generally fit the widest population base they can. Someday we will be able to make our own shoes fully customized to our feet, but unfortunately that is not possible yet, at least not for the masses. I guess I read something a while ago about the printer or whatever that could make anything (even customized shoes).
Thanks Nick I should try them out and see how they feel and make my decision from there. I only want them for work and not for running tough.

Reactions: NickW
Oh boy, all this talk of shoes in a barefoot forum, who would have thought. :) Nick first of all good wishes to you and your wife tomorrow. Also if it take shoes to run, go for it. Barefoot form in shoes works well, one of my sons walks and runs without his heels touching the ground, or so it seems, and he has no problems. A pair of runners lasts him about 5-6 years. Now to keep this forum on track, 60 minutes today with a little speed in the end. Had to beat a thunderstorm home, still got wet in the end though, but I sure like running in rain. :D

Thanks Nick I should try them out and see how they feel and make my decision from there. I only want them for work and not for running tough.
Dama it's always best to try shoes for yourself. What works for me may not work for you.
Oh boy, all this talk of shoes in a barefoot forum, who would have thought. :) Nick first of all good wishes to you and your wife tomorrow. Also if it take shoes to run, go for it. Barefoot form in shoes works well, one of my sons walks and runs without his heels touching the ground, or so it seems, and he has no problems. A pair of runners lasts him about 5-6 years. Now to keep this forum on track, 60 minutes today with a little speed in the end. Had to beat a thunderstorm home, still got wet in the end though, but I sure like running in rain. :D
Sorry Dutchie and thanks for the well wishes.

Reactions: Owlrun
back to reporting.

ran 3 miles. hit the heavy bag. ate a lamb burger in honor of national cheeseburger day.

Nick, congrats. do you think maybe you might need to work more on leg strength? i'm thinking this for myself since my issues aren't resolving and i'm feeling it all over. i also noticed i have a tight right shoulder. then i remembered we, damn, i knew the word earlier and now i can't recall it! cross ambulate. left and right work with each other. right leg forward, left arm back. anyway i thought my shoulder can be the cause behind my messed up left leg.

Fun 8 mile run at 4:30am., 82 deg., 55%rh... Cool sky clouds looked like rows of cotton and I imagined that was what I was running on. heard rooster crow and saw a few rabbits.
If I ever need something on my feet when I run I have a pair of Vivo barefoots EVO.
Note this is only if I have a cut or injury on the bottom of one of my feet.
I also wore them when I was in Crested Butte on vacation and it was 10 deg.
Any other time I will be barefoot.
Love to run Barefoot

7.1km on the beach this morning. Sprinted the last 50m so that the last km split on strava will look good at under 4m/km (hopefully nobody notices that it's only 120m or so). Regardless, I still ended up with exactly, to two decimal places, the same overall pace as every run I ever do - 4.52m/km. I'm happy with that, but I'm amazed that I don't seem to be able to vary it at all.

Feet are still a bit iffy, but I'm starting to think they might come good in time for the 12km fun run I'm planning on doing in November. I still haven't registered though, I think I need to pull off a couple of long runs on roads before I get confident.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon