Mileage Reporting 38th week 2013

3.52 miles at park with friend last evening. Ran it really easy, almost down toward recovery pace, because I've got a big hike coming up tomorrow and don't want to thrash the legs too much. Feet and legs felt good, and just keep practicing at learning to run loose and relaxed. It's so much fun when you get that relaxed feeling and things feel effortless almost. My running partner said at one point, "They keep looking at your feet." Which was true, definitely saw a lot of the people traffic in other direction whose eyes tracked down towards my feet.

It was a good run. I'm having so much more fun now that I've returned to running and doing it barefoot or minimalist. Barefoot is incredible, just makes me feel so good, physically, emotionally, mentally. I wish I could have grown up running barefoot and going around barefoot.

Great 5mile run at 4:45 am. next up for me Tour De Flure at the Dallas Arboretum this Saturday 20k.
Good luck and don't forget to report!
Is it going to be a barefoot race? doesn't matter just give it your all.

3.52 miles at park with friend last evening. Ran it really easy, almost down toward recovery pace, because I've got a big hike coming up tomorrow and don't want to thrash the legs too much. Feet and legs felt good, and just keep practicing at learning to run loose and relaxed. It's so much fun when you get that relaxed feeling and things feel effortless almost. My running partner said at one point, "They keep looking at your feet." Which was true, definitely saw a lot of the people traffic in other direction whose eyes tracked down towards my feet.

It was a good run. I'm having so much more fun now that I've returned to running and doing it barefoot or minimalist. Barefoot is incredible, just makes me feel so good, physically, emotionally, mentally. I wish I could have grown up running barefoot and going around barefoot.
You're making great progress building distance-nice!

Reactions: Bare Lee
You're making great progress building distance-nice!

Thank you. I hope it's good progress, that I'm getting the build correct and I'm giving my feet the right amounts of additional stress and not too much. I've been running some more mileage these past 7 days, but have also slowed down the pace, with a couple of runs at recovery pace and the others at slower easy and only 1 and a little bit of another at regular easy. Things feel good and nothing seems tweaky and the only damage was that loss of some skin off the left toe on Wednesday. Think I got lazy some on Wednesday's run, didn't lift the left foot but reverted to old shodden habit of pushing off.

Tuesday I did 5 miles, mostly easy except for two short speed sessions of about .4 then .2 just making sure my legs don't forget how to go fast before my 5k saturday. Yesterday I did a really easy 4.4 except for one speed session of maybe .4 miles. I paid really close attention to the path since I was on the race course and brushed any gravel and nuts I came across off the trail. Besides a few nuts its usually pretty clean except when the mower hits gravel - there is about a foot or so of gravel on each side since it used to be a railway, and they mow it since weeds grow up through the gravel and often kick up gravel onto the path. :mad: Its hard to spot them now with leaves starting to litter the area.

Going to try to break 20 minutes tomorrow, thats a goal I never thought I'd hit for a 5k since I got back into running a few years ago. But its like 90% chance of showers tonight and in the monring, so not sure how the rain will effect me in a race - I havent raced in rain ever as an adult. Or since its just a small race (probably 20-30 ppl) I wonder if they may cancel or postpone if its bad.

I paid really close attention to the path since I was on the race course and brushed any gravel and nuts I came across off the trail. Besides a few nuts its usually pretty clean except when the mower hits gravel - there is about a foot or so of gravel on each side since it used to be a railway, and they mow it since weeds grow up through the gravel and often kick up gravel onto the path. :mad: Its hard to spot them now with leaves starting to litter the area.

What's really awful is that none of the shoddy runners will probably even notice the groundskeeping you did.

Good luck at it tomorrow.

Monday morning
One-mile run-commute, then stomach bug.

Monday afternoon
1.3-mile walk-commute to pick up my daughter and attend her 1st grade parent-teacher orientation. Slept 12 hours as soon as I got home.

Tuesday, little eating, no exercise, but 2.2 walk-commute. Legs felt fresh and raring to go despite the virus.

Wednesday afternoon
I was starting to get my energy and appetite back, but I decided to hold off on running one more day, and just did bench press at sub max weight, higher reps. I didn't have any energy to do the rest of my upper-body st workout.

Then I got a hypoglycemic reaction just before dinner. I felt light-headed and weak. I ate two hefty hamburgers as an antidote. (If I had known it was National Cheeseburger Day I would've added cheese.) About an hour later I started to feel normal again. I haven't had any trouble with hypoglycemia for decades, but I guess my energy reserves were still depleted after two days of little eating. Probably shouldn’t have done the weights. Or at least I should have popped a protein bar right afterwards.

I woke up an hour after going to bed. My wife hadn’t fallen asleep yet so we chatted. Three hours and three IPAs later (Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Summit Saga, and Boulevard Single-Wide), and a bunch of water, and some stale chips, I slept three more hours.

Thursday morning
One-mile walk commute

Thursday afternoon
12.23 mi / 19.7 km (a few blocks walking)

I got the stupid idea that since I hadn't run for three days, it would be good to try another half-marathonish distance and see if I could get away with it, even though I wasn’t 100% back to normal.

I was still a little behind the energy curve, so I did my best to cram food and water into my system throughout the day. Late morning it stormed and I felt relief that I had been rescued from my foolish plan. But it cleared up after noon. Then just as I was ready to leave my office and tempt fate, a friend called asking for medical advice. His Brazilian fiancée had appendicitis-like pain in her side but no health insurance. Yikes!

So I was late getting out the door, but still intent on trying a 15-mile route that I had been thinking about for a long time. With the stomach bug I was only going to get about half the work I wanted to get done this week anyways, so I used that as a justification for leaving the office almost two hours earlier than normal.

After crossing over the river on Franklin Bridge, the route hops onto the Midtown Greenway, which is a long, east-west pedestrian and bicycle path built over an old railroad line. I'd been wanting to see what that was like for a quite a while.

It was really cool. Most of it passes below street level, under bridges. You would have no idea of where you are if it weren’t for the intermittent postings of street names on the bridges above. My legs felt great and I loved how little green signs popped up every half-mile telling me how far it was to the lakes I was heading for. Reminded me of the well-posted bicycle paths in Denmark.

But then my insurance agent called, so I stopped to chat with him a bit. After that, I looked at my Garmin's clock and realized that with the late start and the insurance chat, there was no way I was going to make it back in time to pick up the kids.

So I left the Midtown Greenway a bit further on and started heading north on Nicollet Ave. I had intended to pick up Nicollet Avenue later in the run, at the southern end of Downtown Minneapolis, after running along Lake of Isles and passing through the Kenwood neighborhood (the toniest neighborhood in Minneapolis). By stopping short of the lakes, and cutting directly to Nicollet, I figured I could shave off about three miles/30 minutes from the route.

Intended Route
13.09.19--18--Intended Route.jpg

Actual Route
13.09.19--17--Actual Route.jpg

This part of Nicollet Ave is full of ethnic restaurants and shops--Mexican, Vietnamese, Somalian, Thai, South Asian--but then it starts to shade into hipster and yuppie establishments just before downtown. It was a lot of fun running through such a purely urban area. I pretended I was back in Chicago. I used to know the Twin Cities really well as a teenager, but since coming back in 2010, my time-geography is mostly restricted to a 3-to-5-mile radius of stores, daycare, and elementary school, and a few well-worn paths to picnic areas. On these longer runs I get to explore my city again and visit areas that have been transformed in the intervening decades.

Once I got to downtown, the place was buzzing with commuter traffic--cars, buses, pedestrians, bicycles, even skate boards. At this point Nicollet Avenue becomes closed off to cars, only buses are allowed to mix it up with all the non-vehicular traffic.

One of the news anchors for a local station was walking towards me and had a very surprised/concerned look on his face. I don't watch much tv so I don't know his name, but I recognized him after a few seconds. He was very tall and had one of those brownish orange fake tans. I kinda wanted to stop and tell him to do a story on barefoot running, featuring me of course. Instead, I just acknowledged his staring with a brief hey!—as in, “Hey, you’re one of the local news monkeys, aren’t you?”

I don't always enjoy being the freak barefoot runner, but I was really eating it up running through the suits while drenched in sweat, with gray hair and dirty feet from some of the earlier post-storm puddles and mud. It recalled the outsider status I had experienced during my traveling days. I guess my favorite stance is outside-looking-in. Unfortunately, I had to stop and wait for the lights at almost every intersection while passing through downtown. My pace was just perfect for just missing the next light at virtually every block.

I don't know if this threw me off my game, or if it was due to happen anyway, but shortly thereafter, while crossing the Hennepin Avenue Bridge, my guts started acting up. Oh oh. After a while I slowed to a walk for a few blocks while I tried to decipher my intestinal intentions. What was their intentional as well as physical state? Was it the shits or farts? Liquid, solid, or gas?

After a few blocks of walking, things settled down but then I felt my energy get sucked right out of me, leaving me with a hallow center and heavy legs. My legs still felt loose, but I had no fuel, and perhaps the lack of sleep was catching up to me too. And the sun had come out so the heat enfeebled me further, and I got that sweaty tingle in my spine.

The last three miles were a real slog. If I didn't have a deadline I would've walked.

Once home a verdict on my intestines’ intentional state was reached. I farted. It’s always nice at the end of a stomach bug episode when it’s safe to fart again. I took a quick shower, got some apple slices for my son to snack on in the car, and sped off. I got to my son’s daycare around 5:30 pm. He seemed a little bummed that I was 30 minutes later than usual, but there were still a half-dozen kids around. From there we got to my daughter’s Discovery Club just in time, at 5:55 pm. My wife was also late getting back so we just ordered overpriced pizza for dinner. I ate half of it and washed it down with three IPAs (Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Summit Saga, and Boulevard Single-Wide) and a good half gallon of water. The nice thing about junk food is it's already half-digested for you.

So, another bad finish to a long run, but this time it was the fueling, not leg fatigue. I'm still glad I did it though. It's really a huge confidence booster that I can run these distances under less-than-ideal circumstances and not risk injury. Still, those last three miles were not fun. I hate running like that.

I might try one more semi-epic long run tomorrow, to complete this strange workout week. Then I’ll look forward to a more normal week of mostly mezzo runs and full st sessions next week.

I shot some more pics:

Midtown Greenway
13.09.19--01--Midtown Greenway.jpg

Midtown Greenway was an old railroad line (note convenient green posting of directions and mileage)
13.09.19--02--Midtown Greenway.jpg

Nicollet Avenue goes ethnic
13.09.19--03--Nicollet Ave.jpg

Southern end of Downtown Mpls, where Nicollet veers right slightly into the glass and steel.
13.09.19--04--Nicollet Ave.jpg

Nicollet Avenue turns into a car-free street.
13.09.19--05--Nicollet Ave.jpg

Pretending to be Europeans
13.09.19--06--Nicollet Ave.jpg

"Why is that barefoot freak taking my picture?" (quote from Scratch)
13.09.19--07--Nicollet Ave.jpg

Sidewalk Market
13.09.19--08--Nicollet Ave.jpg

Sediments of building booms--the background glass and steel is like, soooo 80s.
13.09.19--09--Nicollet Ave.jpg

Hennepin Avenue Bridge crossing the Mississippi
13.09.19--10--Hennepin Ave Bridge over Mississippi.jpg

View from Hennepin Avenue Bridge--You can see the Stone Arch Bridge under the foreground bridge, with the spillway on the left, and the lock on the right side.
13.09.19--11--Hennepin Ave Bridge over Mississippi.jpg

Quaint area of old mattress factories turned into shops and restaurants where I practiced delinquency in hs before it got gentrified.
13.09.19--12--Hennepin Ave Bridge over Mississippi.jpg

The reconstructed 35W Bridge (I was in Mozambique when it collapsed in 2007)
13.09.19--13--35W Bridge over Mississippi.jpg

U of M Campus
13.09.19--14--University Ave, UM Campus.jpg

yaa Nick! way to knock up your woman with your sperm. now drag that thing out and get ready for the next. :p
You such a sentimentalist Mike

Attachments

• 13.09.19--16--Actual Route.jpg
    13.09.19--16--Actual Route.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 4
morning: 5miles, then gettting ready. left too late to do anything else (after 6am, practially lunch time!) It was a gorgeous, hot humid morning, murky mist, a big bright moon.

day: I'm wearing high heeels today, well, sort of, which makes it barefoot time! I found that if you are carrying a pair of high heels with you, you can go bare nearly anywhere and you only get sympathetic looks.

day: I'm wearing high heeels today, well, sort of, which makes it barefoot time! I found that if you are carrying a pair of high heels with you, you can go bare nearly anywhere and you only get sympathetic looks.

Brilliant! I'll start carrying a pair with me on my runs.

Brilliant! I'll start carrying a pair with me on my runs.

For entering business barefoot, it helps to have the suburban dowdy mom look up top. Everyone just assumes you are over your day and ditching your heels. Triple dog dare ya.

OH and I quadruple dog dare ya to take a pair on your next race. That way when people make comments why are you bf you can just say "oh, the heels were KILLING me"

For entering business barefoot, it helps to have the suburban dowdy mom look up top. Everyone just assumes you are over your day and ditching your heels. Triple dog dare ya.

OH and I quadruple dog dare ya to take a pair on your next race. That way when people make comments why are you bf you can just say "oh, the heels were KILLING me"

Pair of high heels in one hand, pair of scissors in the other. No one will be running close to me.

@Lee: love the pics. You make me want to go running in Minn.
Thanks Sced! I would prefer trails, but for urban running, the Twin Cities aren't too bad, with all the lakes and rivers. In fact, we've recently been rated the most bicycle-friendly metropolitan area in the country (which translates into being running-friendly too), and I live right in the middle of it! Viz:

Twin Cities Bike-Pedestrian paths.jpg

Hope your stress reduces soon. Good to see you back doing the everyday running thing. You were one of my original inspirations to give it a try, along with the early morning thing, along with the high mileage thing, along with the mileage reporting thing . . . don't know about the high-heel thing though. I'll let Scratch try it first.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Nice run Lee and glad to hear you're feeling better.
Some of the streets you mentioned sound familiar my son used to live somewhere in uptown(he just recently moved to a different neighborhood). Are you near that area?

Nice run Lee and glad to hear you're feeling better.
Thanks! I was afraid you'd scold me for being purposefully stupid.

Some of the streets you mentioned sound familiar my son used to live somewhere in uptown(he just recently moved to a different neighborhood). Are you near that area?
I circled Uptown in yellow. I used to go there a lot when I was younger, not much call for it now. It's mostly for young people looking for spouses. Or artists and musicians. I don't fit either demographic anymore.

Attachments

• Twin Cities Bike-Pedestrian paths 2.jpg
    Twin Cities Bike-Pedestrian paths 2.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 3
I circled Uptown in yellow. I used to go there a lot when I was younger, not much call for it now. It's mostly for young people looking for spouses. Or artists and musicians. I don't fit either demographic anymore.
Don't forget the smokers I was really surprised to see lots of young smokers:yuck: I do agree about Minnepolis being a bike friendly city I did noticed it.
One of my husband's brother lives in Shoreview and his sister lives in Maple Grove. How far fron you?

Don't forget the smokers I was really surprised to see lots of young smokers:yuck: I do agree about Minnepolis being a bike friendly city I did noticed it.
One of my husband's brother lives in Shoreview and his sister lives in Maple Grove. How far fron you?
Jeez Dama, don't you have Google Maps?!!

They're not too far by freeway, 20 or 40 minutes by freeway, respectively, maybe. Mental-map-wise, they mis' well be close to the border with Canada. There's never ever any reason to go out that way, unless you're heading out of town.

OK, going to try to finish my upper body st . . .

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7