Mileage Reporting 36er Week of 2013

Around a mile and a third this morning, about half of what I intended, but I had my first run where the legs felt really dead and when I began climbing the third substantial uphill, it just made sense to slow down and walk the rest of the way home.

Sunday morning
5.86 mi / 9.4 km
Failed tempo run down on the jhs track, ended up more aerobic pace, then a dozen or more 100-meter sprints on the soccer field grass, and this time I don't need to put scare quotes around sprints, because I finally trusted myself to go all out, more than two years after getting back into shape, and went between 4:30 to 5:00mm pace, according to the Garmin. I may have to bring a stopwatch next time. It felt euphoric to run that fast again after Idon'tknowhowlong. After each sprint I checked body parts to make sure nothing had sheared off, and am happy to report that I survived intact. Then a few hill repeats on the way home. I had wanted to do more, but on the second one my quads began protesting. Enough is enough.

In the afternoon , we went on a lovely picnic with a friend and his newly arrived Brazilian fiancee. My friend was part of the whole New York punk scene in the 70s. We went on a nice walk with the kids through a wetlands area while the women became acquainted. This is the same area I went on my first extensive barefoot walk after returning Stateside, early spring 2011, so it has some sentimental value. A month or so after that walk, after my feet had toughened up a bit more, later in the spring, I began running barefoot again in earnest (I had dillydallied a bit before that, starting in 2010). I ran over some acorns in commemoration.

Monday
1.8-mile run-commute. I'm channeling DNEChris now. My new office doesn't have a shower, but it's close enough--just .9 miles--that I don't work up much of a sweat. I'm going to try to run-commute more often, especially on my st days. After running home in the afternoon, I had a great upper-body strength-training session. Did my max bench again after several weeks of sub-max workouts, and got to every exercise on the list except for the club mills.

Tuesday morning
5.8 mi / 9.3 km, out-n-back to the intersection just before my son's daycare, 5:00 am start, went out without headlamp in order to embrace the unseen debris, wonderful running temps, beautiful sliver of a moon over the dawning light, was close to daylight by the time I got home. I dumbly realized my new smart phone can take pics, so I stopped to take one, but the quality isn't very good. Here it is anyway, taken after the first two miles, looking out over the UofM's experimental GMO fields, at the thin moon just over the horizon's dawn light.

Attachments

• 13.09.jpg
    13.09.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
A whole lot of nothing for the past four days and I mean nada, zippo, zero :D.

Had been planning on riding the bike today as I got new pedals, but as I went to put them on I realize my pedal wrench seems to have gone missing so now it looks like I have to make a stop today at the bike shop on my way into town for my final class of the term. Guess I will just go out and do a short micro run today instead. My legs are extra tender for some reason today so I am really hoping the run will loosen them up some.

2 miles at a slow and miserable 11:21 pace. Legs are just killing me today. Hope they will come back around by Saturday. Gonna go pick up a new pedal wrench this afternoon and may just bike the rest of the week to let the legs rest a bit for the race on Saturday. I dunno. Not sure why the legs have been so tender the last couple weeks. It's like I am a brand new runner all over again. Shouldn't happen that fast should it when you take a week off? So strange and weird. Maybe it's all the flat ground here, my body isn't getting all the variation it used to...???

hips and back

hips and back/QUOTE]
no sex talk please.

~2 ish mile hike with the girl and her new bf. they left me behind, of course. i gave them space and needed the extra time as my lungs are expelling wonderful gobs of phlegm.

6.8 miles yesterday.
Started out barefoot but dragged my dang toe again! Three times in the first three miles! Three!!! Cut the tip of my big toe again. No good. I threw on the Sockwas and finished my run.

http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Other-20130902-1503?r=e

I have the Titanic 25k on Sunday and may have to run it in my Vibrams until I get my barefoot mojo back. Just seems I can't run any distance barefoot without cutting the big toe on my left foot. I don't want to finish with blood on my feet. Wouldn't be a good showcase for barefoot running...

Sorry Mike:sorry:

6.8 miles yesterday.
Started out barefoot but dragged my dang toe again! Three times in the first three miles! Three!!! Cut the tip of my big toe again. No good. I threw on the Sockwas and finished my run.

http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Other-20130902-1503?r=e

I have the Titanic 25k on Sunday and may have to run it in my Vibrams until I get my barefoot mojo back. Just seems I can't run any distance barefoot without cutting the big toe on my left foot. I don't want to finish with blood on my feet. Wouldn't be a good showcase for barefoot running...
I was just reading last night that tight shins cause the toe dragging and I immediately tought about you so you might want to look into it.

Not sure why the legs have been so tender the last couple weeks. It's like I am a brand new runner all over again. Shouldn't happen that fast should it when you take a week off? So strange and weird. Maybe it's all the flat ground here, my body isn't getting all the variation it used to...???
Was thinking about it and I think I figured out why I have been having so much more for problems lately for soreness. Now that I moved and have no gym I am not doing my full body workouts, which includes the leg workouts. I've noticed that despite staying right around 200lbs that I am getting "fatter" again. I need to start figuring out some exercise to go along with my running and cycling. Completely explains all my problems. I do have a couple of adjustable dumbbells, although at max weight they are only like 25-30lbs each. I do have a pull up bar too. Hmmmm, will have to put together some sort of a workout. Gotta keep the body in shape.

Sorry Mike:sorry:

I was just reading last night that tight shins cause the toe dragging and I immediately tought about you so you might want to look into it.

Wow, thanks Dama. I've been reading up a little online and (oddly) it seems I'm not the only one suffering this. I just need to find something to relieve it! Migangelo mentioned trigger points on the shin using a golf ball. I'm going to try that tomorrow night and see how I get on!
Thanks guys! You guys rock, as always! :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts