Mileage Reporting 19th Week of 2013

Dama and Laura - gotta be careful having testosterone-amped species guiding us...it can be a double-edged sword! ;)

Not to worry Jen, I don't listen and my husband knows it, I just do my own
thing;)

Dama and Laura - gotta be careful having testosterone-amped species guiding us...it can be a double-edged sword! ;)
He really doesn't want me hurt. Maybe I haven't said enough about the strict injunctions to not overdo it... but I'm not sure he and I always mean the same thing by that. :p

I had a prolonged cough where I was coughing throughout the night and day for a few weeks and pulled something. I got an Xray I was in so much pain and had to be on Vicodin and an inhaler for a week but there wasn't anything my doc could do about it. It's been 6 weeks since it happened and it still hurts when I lay on my back on harder surfaces and if I put pressure on it. I feel a lump there but my doctor and husband think I'm insane. I definitely tore or severely strained something.
My husband frequently thinks I'm insane. Something about strings of incomplete sentences ... but sometimes, when I finally get it said in a way that makes sense to him, he understands for a while. Like when I broke my face on a bike ride a few years ago. I looked fine, but was having a hard time explaining to him that I didn't think I could open my mouth more than a 1/4 inch. I was right. Surgery fixed it. Hope you feel better soon!

My husband is much faster than I am. He challenges the young guys when he enters races. But right now, he is just 2 weeks post surgery. I know he is just trying to encourage me. (pretty sure he is not trying to "live" through my running while he is so limited...) When I "reported" in an email, he wrote back and told me I did a good job. Yeah, I'm a people pleaser, but he doesn't take advantage of that. If it hadn't been for his gentle encouragement, I probably wouldn't have thought I could ever run a half!

Definitely not me:rolleyes:
My husband does encourge me a lot but he's never pushy he thinks that I can do better and I am sure I can but I don't have the desire to push myself to my limits beacause I have to be very careful with this lower back condition so I just cruise along;). Still have tons of fun though.

I had a prolonged cough where I was coughing throughout the night and day for a few weeks and pulled something. I got an Xray I was in so much pain and had to be on Vicodin and an inhaler for a week but there wasn't anything my doc could do about it. It's been 6 weeks since it happened and it still hurts when I lay on my back on harder surfaces and if I put pressure on it. I feel a lump there but my doctor and husband think I'm insane. I definitely tore or severely strained something.

Yeah, kinda know what you are talking about as a few years ago I had a cough too were it seemed to go on and on and my ribs or muscles in the area were so sore that I was afraid of pulling something or maybe even cough up a lung. :) Glad your over the cough. I bet it will just take some time to recover.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Ran only 3.2 miles tonight as it was sprinkling a bit and I was dressed to warm for the temperature. Was close to 70 degrees with little wind. Smelled like spring especially with the wild plums near the trail in full bloom. :D Stepped on a pretty good rock or small concrete chunk when the rain first started as the droplets on the trail made spotting pebbles and things a bit tricky. :eek: Kept running though and it seemed ok after a bit. Would like to do about 4 to 4.5 miles tomorrow night but there is a chance of showers tomorrow evening. At least spring maybe here this time.

No exercise for me today. Had my dentist appointment and got bad news, apparently when the crown popped out it broke some of the tooth that the crown was attached to and so now there is not enough tooth left to reattach the crown. Go in for oral surgery Thursday to have them dig out (literally) the remaining bits of tooth. Also it looks like one of the roots may go through the sinuses which apparently can cause problems. Ugh! I guess I may have to run two days (Wednesday and Thursday) in a row because I don't know if my mouth will be up to me running on Friday. There will be no running this weekend as I have homework and family plans all weekend (going to the coast again to go clamming).

Tuesday afternoon
3.57 mi, hills
low 80s

I got stopped on my way out again talking to my wife about her psychology class. I wanted to do six miles or so, but only got in three and a half. I drove to the big hill by the Lutheran Seminary, parked by its lesser slope, and ran up and down it and up and down the other, gentler hill perpendicular to it. It's a half a mile total from the bottom of the big hill up to its summit, down its shallower side, and then to the top of the gentler, perpendicular hill. Kind of a sideways, twisted 'S'. I also did 4 flights of stairs near the top of the gentler slope, where a stairway leads down into a little wooded area that used to be a street car line.

I did a little less hill work this week than last, to make sure my legs still have plenty of gas for my other two runs this week. The last two ascents up the steeper, longer hill I ran 2 mm faster, around 9mm pace, and then walked back down part way instead of continuing on to the other side of the hill.

I think this second way is probably the best way to do my hills workout. Instead of a steady run up-down, up-down at 11mm pace, I should just do hill 'sprints' on the steepest slope, going up as fast as I can and then walking back down until I've recovered and then running back down the rest of the way. Do 10-20 reps of that, some stairs, and then finish with 3-4 miles at aerobic pace through the neighborhood or campus. Yeah, that's the ticket.

But I would like eventually to work up to a whole hour of just hill sprints and stairs. Or, alternatively, do half the workout hill sprints, and half the workout doing intervals down on the jhs track a half block away. I've been questioning the wisdom of doing both hills and intervals workouts in the same week. Maybe combining them into just one 'hard' workout per week would be enough. We'll see.

How do other folks do their 'hills' workouts? Steady pace? Hill sprints?

My soles still felt a bit sensitive on the raspy concrete and occasional debris. I should probably don some footwear until the sensitivity passes, but it would feel like a small defeet. I might just seek out the smooth asphalt of my fairgrounds back-n-forth route for my intervals workout on Thursday, and postpone more track work until next week. Decisions, decisions.

After the run, got back in the car and went to pick up my son and daughter, then we had another lovely dinner out on the deck. It's great to eat outside with a toddler. No worries about making a mess.

No exercise for me today. Had my dentist appointment and got bad news, apparently when the crown popped out it broke some of the tooth that the crown was attached to and so now there is not enough tooth left to reattach the crown. Go in for oral surgery Thursday to have them dig out (literally) the remaining bits of tooth. Also it looks like one of the roots may go through the sinuses which apparently can cause problems. Ugh! I guess I may have to run two days (Wednesday and Thursday) in a row because I don't know if my mouth will be up to me running on Friday. There will be no running this weekend as I have homework and family plans all weekend (going to the coast again to go clamming).
Bummer Nick. Hope everything goes well with the surgery. Are they going to put in a fake tooth?

Bummer Nick-good luck.
You should try running with your feet instead;)

I think this is probably the way to do my hills workout. Instead of a steady run up-down, up-down at 10:30-11mm pace, I should just do hill 'sprints' on the steepest slope, going up as fast as I can and then walking back down until I've recovered and then running back down the rest of the way. Do 10-20 reps of that, some stairs, and then finish with 3-4 miles at aerobic pace through the neighborhood or campus. Yeah, that's the ticket.

But I would like eventually to work up to a whole hour of just hill sprints and stairs. Or, alternatively, do half the workout hill sprints, and half the workout doing intervals down on the jhs track a half block away. I've been questioning the wisdom of doing both hills and intervals workouts in the same week. Maybe combining them into just one 'hard' workout per week would be enough. We'll see.

quote]

Looks like is going to be a tough hill/stairs workout when you get to the hr length.
When I do stairs I run up and when I do hills I do them by effort simulating 5k pace or until I feel like puking:happy:
The half hill workout and half sprint intervals workout sounds very ambitious and a little dangerous(for me). Let me know how it goes when, and if you try it .
I myself would stick with one or the other but I WON'T do both on the same workout...but that's just me.

Looks like is going to be a tough hill/stairs workout when you get to the hr length.
When I do stairs I run up and when I do hills I do them by effort simulating 5k pace or until I feel like puking:happy:
The half hill workout and half sprint intervals workout sounds very ambitious and a little dangerous(for me). Let me know how it goes when, and if you try it .
I myself would stick with one or the other but I WON'T do both on the same workout...but that's just me.
Yeah, might be too much. Still, I sense I'm still nowhere near my potential in terms of conditioning, so an hour of hill sprints /stairs could be possible. More likely, however, would be something like a half hour of hills/stairs and then either a 3-4 miles aerobic-paced run following that, or some kind of interval work. And when I say 'interval' I'm not necessarily thinking of sprints. So far, I've done 440, 880, and 1-mile intervals. I haven't done any all out sprinting for a long, long time. But I would like to at some point, maybe just 40-yard wind sprints. God, I used to hate those in high school, why would I do them now? Must be getting senile.

I guess the only conclusion so far is that running hills at an easy pace doesn't seem to be that useful, and it's boring going up and over, or up and down, the same hill, over and over. I'll try faster up, slower down, next time. I guess that's the equivalent of doing wind sprints anyhow.

About a year and a half ago I was running in a Christmas run that involved approximately a 1.5 mile hill of daunting grade. My husband had me sprint up a local hill and jog down it a few times as a workout once a week (after a bit of warm up), increasing my repetitions each week. The workout hill comes close to a 45° angle, so even though it is only about 1/10th mile long, it is hard. I only had about a month until the race, so I didn't work up to very many repeats (5-6 in the end?), but even what I did seemed to make a big difference. I know the Moc3s helped, too, but compared to everyone else, I was gliding up that hill during the race, passing people constantly. Of course, it could have been their costumes, too. Who can run seriously up a hill dressed as an elf?? It was my first over 5 K race distance, being 6.1 miles, and I didn't place in the results at all, but I was definitely more comfortable up that hill than the people generally running at my pace on level ground.

Bummer Nick. Hope everything goes well with the surgery. Are they going to put in a fake tooth?
I try to maintain a decent pace while pushing the stroller up the hill and I have enough hills here that I really don't have to turn around and go back down to turn around and go back up, meaning I go up one and down the backside only to go up another, steeper hill and if my mileage ever gets back up enough I have a much bigger hill that I used to run last summer that has a couple of small plateaus that give me a slight break.

At this point it does not sound like they are going to put in a fake tooth Lee. Kind of sucks. Oh well, I'll look like one of the hillbillies from back home I guess...

Tuesday - Hit up Harbins park, 4 miles on the hiking trail plus 4 miles park pavement and 1 mile walking...plenty of hills too. The trails are getting to be fairly rough with the small gravel everywhere...I only run this when its muddy and wet...this was a good day for that.

Today - Stopped at the Georgia International Horse Park which I drive by on my way to work and back, ran 2 laps around one of the grassy pastures on the wet grass 1.5 miles.

I did a little less hill work this week than last, to make sure my legs still have plenty of gas for my other two runs this week. The last two ascents up the steeper, longer hill I ran 2 mm faster, around 9mm pace, and then walked back down part way instead of continuing on to the other side of the hill.

I think this is probably the way to do my hills workout. Instead of a steady run up-down, up-down at 10:30-11mm pace, I should just do hill 'sprints' on the steepest slope, going up as fast as I can and then walking back down until I've recovered and then running back down the rest of the way. Do 10-20 reps of that, some stairs, and then finish with 3-4 miles at aerobic pace through the neighborhood or campus. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I like to mix em up a bit, some days I'll do all out sprints, other days I go 90%. When I am on a long trail run I switch them around too, some days I'll focus on making a slow steady run up the hills, some days I only hike and others I will do sprints with hiking breaks.

They are tiring though and like you mentioned I have pretty much cut out all intervals and replaced them with hill and stair workouts.

At this point it does not sound like they are going to put in a fake tooth Lee. Kind of sucks. Oh well, I'll look like one of the hillbillies from back home I guess...
A few years ago I began having extreme pain in the left side of my face. I naturally went to the dentist first, but search though they did, they found nothing. I ended up at the neurologist's, who diagnosed me with "suicide disease," which is what they call intense pain ongoing pain in the head that they can't diagnose... So, I didn't sleep for a couple of months, but declined experimental procedures like having holes drilled in my skull and/or taking anti-seizure meds. About 4? months later, a filling fell out and a huge crack in a back tooth was revealed. Of course, the tooth had rotted to the core, but never was anyone so happy to have oral surgery! I do miss the tooth though. It was a back chomper, so there was nothing to hold in a fake tooth. If only I still had my wisdom teeth, that some expert told me my parents should be removed prophylatically! I do have to be more careful when I chew now. I've noticed that I am more predisposed to choking, fyi.

A few years ago I began having extreme pain in the left side of my face. I naturally went to the dentist first, but search though they did, they found nothing. I ended up at the neurologist's, who diagnosed me with "suicide disease," which is what they call intense pain ongoing pain in the head that they can't diagnose... So, I didn't sleep for a couple of months, but declined experimental procedures like having holes drilled in my skull and/or taking anti-seizure meds. About 4? months later, a filling fell out and a huge crack in a back tooth was revealed. Of course, the tooth had rotted to the core, but never was anyone so happy to have oral surgery! I do miss the tooth though. It was a back chomper, so there was nothing to hold in a fake tooth. If only I still had my wisdom teeth, that some expert told me my parents should be removed prophylatically! I do have to be more careful when I chew now. I've noticed that I am more predisposed to choking, fyi.
Maybe that's the problem with my headaches? Actually, I think the headaches are related to my mild sleep apnea, which I should use my c-pap machine for but don't. I get claustrophobic with the mask (doesn't bother me when awake but when sleeping I rip it off and throw it apparently, according to my wife which I don't remember at all) and I can't breathe through my nose well so at night while sleeping my mouth is wide open and trying to use just the nose attachment is worthless.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon