Mileage Reporting 19th Week of 2013

One thing reading Maffetone's big yellow book did for me was help me realise how often local symptoms are caused by non-local issues. Really hope you find someone with a strong holistic view and conservative views on intervention.

Ya Lee and Footsie, even Dr William on here seems appalled at the surgeries too after looking at the picture of my calcaneus and reading the radiologists report. Confirms my fear... I guess I will continue on trying stuff at home to see if I can make it better on my own. Really freaked me out with the hacking out of bone and muscle talk despite the radiologist saying everything looks normal except for a bit of scar tissue from an old injury.

That's about the same thing my Dr's told me several years ago about the chronic Peroneal problems that I had for a long time. I turned down surgery and searching for other solutions lead me to barefoot running. I figured out that my ankles were weak from having many sprained ankles over the years...getting them strong again was the real solution and barefeet running was a big part of that. I think your already on the right track and your still able to run right now... I doubt your ankle is deformed.

Yesterday - warm and sunny mid-70's, 6.5 miles pavement at Rabbit Hill park...Maff test for 4 of the early miles... a good sign on the Maff pace was there was only 20 seconds difference between the fastest mile and slowest mile. Bout a mile of walking in there for warmup/cool down.

Today - 2 miles on dirt paths and grass mixed at the Georgia Horse park on my way home from work, I'm changing up my running routine... two 6-mile+ runs and at least a mile every day through the week.

Friday afternoon
Top ST Session

Good pump. Finally was able to get in a reasonably full chest and shoulders workout after several weeks of stuff coming up on Friday afternoons. I started with a quick run through of sub-max bench press sets and then focused on improving my military presses and recovering my dips and the other exercises I've had to leave out for almost a month. Today I'm pretty sore, in a good kinda way. Afterwards, dinner out on the deck with a bloody rare ribeye, tons of grilled veggies, and wine out of a box.

For today or tomorrow's run I'm trying to decide between heading back down to the track for another tempo run or heading out for a 10-11 mile aerobic run. Decisions, decisions.

11km today (6.8mi) at varied paces, but I find slow paces to be difficult to keep, even with the constant reminder of my phone saying 'Slower !'. Last 4km at 4'55"/km
Just curious Andy, but why are you going slower paces than you feel? Are you training for an endurance run? Are you giving your phone too much credit for being smart?

Ran 4.8 miles late last night after doing alot of yard work and washing my truck and changing oil on the car. Was very tired for the run but felt like I had to run as I skipped out on the night befores run. It was the perfect evening with no wind and temp about 70F. I'm a bit sore this morning and have a busy weekend planned. Oh forgot to mention I went to tornado hill early yesterday morning and climbed up and down it 20 times. Half of those I ran up. Believe thats what caused me to be sore after the run. A bit too much yesterday I think.

Ran 4.8 miles late last night after doing alot of yard work and washing my truck and changing oil on the car. Was very tired for the run but felt like I had to run as I skipped out on the night befores run. It was the perfect evening with no wind and temp about 70F. I'm a bit sore this morning and have a busy weekend planned. Oh forgot to mention I went to tornado hill early yesterday morning and climbed up and down it 20 times. Half of those I ran up. Believe thats what caused me to be sore after the run. A bit too much yesterday I think.
Yeah, I'm personally having a hard time with tapering for my half with all the gardening I need to get done . I'm going to have to really force myself to sit down some toward the end of next week.

6ish miles on Wildwood yesterday taking it nice and easy. I had an angry, spasming mid-back muscle almost the whole run from overdoing some yoga, but I got it worked out by the end. I can indeed feel the positive difference having stronger hamstrings and butt muscles, makes!

it was 7 miles on the trails yesterday with unexpected company. i parked at the entrance and was strapping on my hr monitor to hear cackling. i look up and see my stalker, ˆ, ugh. i purposefully didn't tell anyone what i was doing and who shows up? yeah. no escape.

thursday i went on a walk and then hour bike ride. trying to incorporate a little cross training to keep from repetitive injuries and increase stress release. other days have just been my little tune up runs with the dogs.

Yesterday I got in 45 minutes on the spinning bike and lots of gardening.

This morning one of my daughters wanted to go with me on my 6 miles "easy" run (that's what the coach/husband assigned). She is much faster than me, but wanted an easy pace today. We made a game of her going a little ahead at street crossings (of which there were about 8 on this section of greenbelt) and waving the orange flag to stop traffic just before I arrived. Then, she would have to take time to put the flag in its slot and catch up to me.

I surprised myself by being able to keep a comfortable 8:50 mm pace for about 3 of the miles, including the last one. The other 3 miles were 9 or 9:10ish. It seemed to depend some on the pavement and how sharp the turns were.

We were both running BF, mostly side by side. One older gentleman was walking stiffly, but briskly, with his eyes glued to the pavement. When he was nearly upon us and our feet came into his sphere of vision, he chuckled a most spontaneous happy laugh. I told my daughter that was the first time I had had a reaction like that. Then, lo and behold, about 15 minutes later a lady walker passed us and did the same thing! My daughter's theory is that it was somehow friendlier that both of us were running BF together and it just made people happy. :joyful:

My daughter's theory is that it was somehow friendlier that both of us were running BF together and it just made people happy. :joyful:
I think she's probably right.
I must look like a "determined runner on a serious mission" when I'm alone as conversation is infrequent (perhaps I talk to myself too much ;)) - if a bunch of us are out together inquiries and pleasant conversation from others are frequent occurrences.

We were both running BF, mostly side by side. One older gentleman was walking stiffly, but briskly, with his eyes glued to the pavement. When he was nearly upon us and our feet came into his sphere of vision, he chuckled a most spontaneous happy laugh. I told my daughter that was the first time I had had a reaction like that. Then, lo and behold, about 15 minutes later a lady walker passed us and did the same thing! My daughter's theory is that it was somehow friendlier that both of us were running BF together and it just made people happy. :joyful:

Barefeet psychology is a funny thing... I can go into Home Depot barefoot and get dirty looks and bad body language from other people but go there barefoot and carry my flip flops in my hands and I'm just one of them...my flip flops are the 2nd runner in your case.

Today 2 miles running local roads...the county just over paved the toughest chip/seal 1/2 mile section near my house so i ran that today...super smooth new chip seal. Half mile warmup/cool-down also.

Barefeet psychology is a funny thing... I can go into Home Depot barefoot and get dirty looks and bad body language from other people but go there barefoot and carry my flip flops in my hands and I'm just one of them...my flip flops are the 2nd runner in your case.
Interesting comparison. I believe you are on to something.

Great run today. 7 miles 66deg.F.. I mapped out a new path in my neighborhood (I've been got on the same one that I love for a year or so) it was cool nice homes with landscaping like you would see in a English garden. Saw rabbit, ducks, a few creek crossings.
I passed a girl with florescent yellow shoes (I could see coming far off)(shoes looked cool I still do not want them) as she passed she asks "you run barefoot all the time " I replied yes she replied "awesome" I had to agree! No toe stubbing, feet are good, legs are getting less sore. End of week 3 of training program.

Just curious Andy, but why are you going slower paces than you feel? Are you training for an endurance run? Are you giving your phone too much credit for being smart?
Hehe, well, yes, I'd like to go for a half marathon in September, so trying to find a pace that feels comfortable for long distances....And today (long run day) my goal was 18km (11.2mi) , and tried to keep a pace of about 5'55"/km. On the distance I achieved it, but the first 10km were too quick, and I had to slow down (of being too tired) the second half, so it is a learning curve....As much as I can achieve 5'/km on 10k, I need to learn how to pace a longer run slower

Reactions: mokaman
So a handful of us in our BRS group have taken to tree climbing. VERTICAL tree climbing that is. So here are some photos from my adventure today. :) I became jealous of Mike and Chris climbing trees in the last couple weeks and FINALLY found one with a limb low enough for me to get up in (with my wussy upper body strength).

At last! Where has this tree been for the past 2 months that I have been looking???
Tree afar.jpg

I'm up!
Tree.jpg

Sexy toe.
Sexy toe.jpg

Jealous little girl who whose parents thought she was conversing with a tree - they couldn't see me! :)
Jealous.jpg

My next target - a play structure!
Playground.jpg

Today was strength day! Lots of squat/lunge/swing/circumduction action!

saturday: a few sit ups, a short swim, mostly with my 7 yr old son in the lap lane, working on his stroke and getting all the way across without stopping halfway at the lane divider and giving up. Hd to leave early to finish decorating my daughters cake (her tenth was earlier this week) and make dinner. ah well.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts