Mileage Reporting 13th Week of 2013

2k run outside skin to ground with a temp of -4C. had to stay light on my feet for 2 blocks as there was a ton of gravel on the road, once I got to the main road it was dry and in the sun and also had most of the sand and gravel pushed to the side due to the amount of traffic. It was nice to be able to run barefoot after a few week of no STG. :happy:

Decipher STG for me please, I speak no Canadian.

@ Bob - where ya been?.

Sorry about the fire Lee, glad nobody was hurt, things and belongingss are replaceable, family and friends are not.

I have been so busy with life lately, I have been sneaking onto the site when I can but unfortunately that has not been to often. This time of year is crazy for me with work as everybody wants to break ground for construction in the spring so I am usually stretched to the limits trying to get designs finalized and out for pricing. Between that and my running and writing obligations and trying to find as much as possible to spend with the kids, I have not had much time for anything else. Hoping that will change shortly though, and things will get back to a normal busy and not a insane busy.

stg = skin to ground
Yah it's awesome, I got a couple of pair of skin-to-ground shoes.

@Dama, just let me know when you're next in town. Does your significant other run? Maybe we could all go for a run down by the river. I don't think my wife would let me run with another woman if she were unaccompanied though . . .

OK, off to a Back ST workout and more messing around with the suspension straps at the end of it. My new trap bar should be here Saturday, just in time for Sunday's Bottom ST.

I don't think my wife would let me run with another woman if she were unaccompanied though . . .
Neither would mine, but I guess that is a good sign :)

9.2km today with 6x800m intervals....a lot more tiring than the 400m but still kept a good and steady pace (around 4'30"/km) during the intervals

Yah it's awesome, I got a couple of pair of skin-to-ground shoes.

@Dama, just let me know when you're next in town. Does your significant other run? Maybe we could all go for a run down by the river. I don't think my wife would let me run with another woman if she were unaccompanied though . . .

OK, off to a Back ST workout and more messing around with the suspension straps at the end of it. My new trap bar should be here Saturday, just in time for Sunday's Bottom ST.

Yes he does, a little slower than me/you. I do let my sweetheart run with other women though(as long as they aren't cute)
A run by the river sounds lovely I will let you know when we are heading your way for sure but my prefence would be to meet at the half so dutchie won't feel abandoned.

Yes he does, a little slower than me/you. I do let my sweetheart run with other women though(as long as they aren't cute)
A run by the river sounds lovely I will let you know when we are heading your way for sure but my prefence would be to meet at the half so dutchie won't feel abandoned.
Oh yeah, I'm just offering the possibility in case you can't make it. I'm definitely going to meet up with Dutchie, even if my 'training' stalls; he's already promised me a round of ale for my birthday.

In fact I'm having a Saga IPA right now. Just finished my Back ST, now I'm waiting for the wife and kids to turn up. I'm really digging the suspension strap pikes, and another exercise I've recently incorporated, a sort of modified "wood chopper" I do with the barbell--great for the oblique part of the lower back.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Got all ready for my swim and dipped my fingers in the water just like I always do right before a swim. It was much too cold! Apparently the termite exterminator had bumped the power cord for the heater out just enough to disconnect it, sooo... since I don't swim in cold water when it is barely 60°F outside (and the local indoor gym pool is out of commission), I thought I'd go ahead with the spinning bike instead. But then my husband called to say he had late phone conferences, so would be coming home to use that room as his office until 7:30 PM. Sooo, I did a bunch of dishes and laundry and garden work and decided to call it good.

Sorry to hear about the kitchen fire Lee. Glad that everyone was ok. About 25 years ago I had an aunt and uncle who had a house fire at about 3am in the morning from a wood burning stove that caught fire to the house. Luckily the smoke woke them up and they were able to reach their two childrens rooms grab them and run outside. The fire had started on the second floor and by the time they ran to the neighbors house about 1/8 milea away and the fire dept arrived they lost most of the house and nearly everything in it. The most important thing was their own safety.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Got all ready for my swim and dipped my fingers in the water just like I always do right before a swim. It was much too cold! Apparently the termite exterminator had bumped the power cord for the heater out just enough to disconnect it, sooo... since I don't swim in cold water when it is barely 60°F outside (and the local indoor gym pool is out of commission), I thought I'd go ahead with the spinning bike instead. But then my husband called to say he had late phone conferences, so would be coming home to use that room as his office until 7:30 PM. Sooo, I did a bunch of dishes and laundry and garden work and decided to call it good.
Brrrrrrr on the water. I always have to remind myself that I will be warmed up by the end of the first lap. But that's with a nice warmed pool. You'd want a wet suit for yours!

Brrrrrrr on the water. I always have to remind myself that I will be warmed up by the end of the first lap. But that's with a nice warmed pool. You'd want a wet suit for yours!
It's usually 80, quite comfortable.

Reactions: scedastic
Thursday morning
8.4 mi / 13.5 km
21 F / - 6 C
slight windchill, not sure how much

I had to go in early to get an abdominal ultrasound. My father had an abdominal aorta aneurysm in 2011, and they want to make sure it's not something that's been passed on to his sons. Most likely, my dad got it because he used to smoke, but doesn't hurt to make sure. I had woken up around midnight to guzzle some water before my fasting officially began, then had trouble getting back to sleep, so went to work, then finally got back to sleep for an hour or so before it was time to head out.

The appointment was at 6:45, by 7am we were finished. I had brought along my running clothes so that I could check out a route I had been thinking about for quite some time. First I had a muffin and a Starbucks cappuccino in the lobby to break my fast, while reading the sports page of the newspaper there, and then changed clothes in one of the specialty clinic's roomy shitters. After stowing away my street clothes in the car, round 7:30, I ran out of the parking lot, up a wide boulevard with one of those sandpaper-like bike/walking/running paths. The sun was up over the horizon, and traffic was starting to pick up. I had forgotten my Garmin but at least I remembered my sunglasses. I was running east right into the rising sun, up a gradual incline about 2 miles long.

On the path there were lots of ice patches that nearly did in my feet within the first mile or so. Ouch! Then after another mile I turned onto a nice, smooth, dry asphalt path towards Phalen Lake, the place where I sprained my MCL last October. I was planing on running up the western shore of Phalen Lake, but when I got close to the lake I saw a sign for the one of those bike/walking/running paths built on top of an old disused railroad line. This path seemed to parallel the lake's eastern shore, built up high on the old railroad embankment, so I headed up that for something different, a better view, and a little extra mileage. This path ended up diverting quite a bit away from the lake, however, heading straight north, so I ended up running about a mile and a half more than I was planning to. Since I had forgotten my Garmin, I was wondering if perhaps I was going to total close to 9 or 10 miles, and was marveling at the possibility that my first 10-miler might be totally unplanned, until I got home and checked Google Maps, and saw that that day had not yet arrived, I was a good mile and half short. Oh well.

Further up the path I hit another converted railroad line that runs perpendicular to the path I was on. This is the bike path I was intending to connect with after running up the western shore of Phalen Lake. Now I was connecting with it a little less than a mile east of that spot. Turning right it goes all the way over to the St. Croix River, 14-15 miles to the east, which is the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin, connecting to a town called Stillwater. I turned left on it, heading west by southwest, through another pretty, thin strip of trees with people's backyards, a golf course, and a cemetery close by and the bustle of rush hour traffic often within earshot. Some of the path became medium grade chipseal, which slowed me down, and there were a few longish ice patches as well, which weren't quite long enough to cause serious discomfort, but close, as by this time my feet were fairly numb anyway. Other than that, it was a nice, easy run, with 3-4 stretching breaks mixed in. The path eventually curves back around, under a major freeway, thru a kind of warehouse-y area, and ends in the neighborhood behind the specialty clinic. On the final hill just before returning to the clinic, I felt a slight twinge in my left ITB, so I walked up the rest of the hill, and then ran down it into the parking lot.

It was nice to run a totally new route for a change, have a little adventure. This will probably be my last sub-freezing run of the season, unless I get up early for Saturday's run too. It's nice to run so early in the morning, but I'm already getting the drowsies now, so I guess I better stick to my late afternoon schedule for running and lifting. Seems to fit best with my biorhythms.

Went on a awesome Moonlit trail run last night with the wife, 5.0 miles of absolute awesomeness. I so miss our weekly date run night. Must start those up again.:)

I. Ran. 12. Miles. Today. All. Barefoot.
Farthest run ever in my life! Not super speedy, but I am glad not to feel like I'm going to expire. A couple of small cuts of some sort on, each on a big toe.
Happy Dance! :joyful:

I'm guessing around 2.5 mi this morning; had to circumvent this one dog on my formerly safe no dog route as there is a big one loose that is starting to get obnoxious with me. Was going to do weights but took a nap instead. A theme of napping emerges.

~35 min of swimming, kids in the bleachers waiting for me, since it's their spring break.

@Lee: nice mileage!
@Laura: ditto! Longest I've done truly bf is a bit over 10. Guess you didn't lose much over the winter.
@BF Bob: awwww. running by the light of the big bright moon. Lovely moon these last few days.

Had my PT apt last night, may have stumbled accidentally upon the root cause of my problems. My PT had me do some barefoot squats and he noticed that my arch on my right foot (the foot that is bothering me) collapses as I squat down. He gave me some exercises to do at home and away I went (short story anyhow). This morning I was looking online about arches collapsing when doing squats, when I accidentally came across a gym rats rant about people doing squats duckfooted, and how it causes the arch to collapse and the ankle to roll in an unnatural way. Anyhow, I already know that I am duckfooted on the right foot so this rings a bell for me. I decide to test it and do barefoot squats in the kitchen on the tile and my natural way the arch collapsed, but sure as rain here in Portland when I straightened my foot my arch did not collapse and my ankle did not roll in nor did it hurt. I ran some errands this morning and I really focused on trying to walk as straight as I could and had no foot pain, although my ankle, arch, and knee all fatigued quite a bit. This felt weird, but maybe this is why I have so many problems. I am going to post about this in the ask the drs forum, so hopefully I will get some good advice on how to correct this the proper way.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon