Let's have your PR's!

Great. Scott.  That kind of

Great. Scott. That kind of time on gravel? Share the knowledge please :) Geez, how long have you been running barefoot and how long did it take you to be able to do that without the feet suffering? It look me 33 mins to run 5.3k this morning on a mixture of sidewalk, road and that damned chip seal. My last long run was 9.1k in about 58 mins. Sigh, I guess eventually I'll get a little faster. I don't mind going slower; it's simply more practical to be able to knock out a quick 5-6k in under 30 mins for my morning runs. Idealy I would like to be able to do a morning 10k in about 45 mins or less.

Guess I'll do more training for the gravel. My normal route with shods is about 5 miles or so across sidewalk, road, chipseal, two+ miles of gravel and back again. The back again is the most difficult part as now I must traverse across the chip seal after having gone thru the gravel. I'd love to be able to do that barefoot, within 50 mins without having my feet feeling like I just barely missed a rash of blisters. I seem to always brush up against blisters but don't get them. I suppose I need to be able to pick it up without suffering foot placement problems. Ah well, I trust it'll come with practice since I've not been doing this even 6 months.

PS: I should also add that I am capable of going faster on sidewalks and roads with no tingles in the feet, even on a 10k run; it's the more aggressive terrain that really slows me down. On trails, there are times I might as well be jogging in place, it seems, or "prancing" as one person told me.

Half marathon 1:49 was at the

Half marathon 1:49 was at the Last chance half during Nov in Calgary. Flat course on asphalt.

We have some speedy runners. Very nice to see.

Solid time PB.  I'm still a

Solid time PB. I'm still a long way from feeling like I could handle that sort of distance. Did 8.5 last week and was shocked at how hard it was. I'm focusing on building my pads and running fast to race 5k's. Then I'll do 10's then halfers then hopefully by next summer the full deal. Baby steps is what BF'ing has taught me. As soon as you get impatient, you pay for it. Take it bit by bit and your body sings "thank you!"

Mega I started running after a 22 year break (since highschool) last August but was laid up a good part of the winter with ITBS. I think that you just have to be patient and put your time in on the nasty stuff. I only run trails unless pavement is unavoidable as they are so much more fun. I think good form is important but that comes with practice too as far as I can tell.

My PR's have 3

My PR's have 3 qualifications: 1.) Official, timed race 2.) Barefoot only 3.) No injuries at all were sustained

So with those caveats:

Fred:

5K 22:27 Jul 2010 http://www.ohiochallengeseries.com/client_images/events/index.cfm?form_result_id=5737

10K 47:53 Aug 2010 http://www.ohiochallengeseries.com/client_images/events/index.cfm?form_result_id=5767

Thanks for a little structure

Thanks for a little structure Fred. Totally agree with #'s two and three but I'm throwing out for discussion that #one needs a witness, not necessarily an official race. If you run with someone way faster than you who pushes you to a PR, it should count in my book. Whadda y'all think?

Joshh wrote:Thanks for a

Joshh said:
Thanks for a little structure Fred. Totally agree with #'s two and three but I'm throwing out for discussion that #one needs a witness, not necessarily an official race. If you run with someone way faster than you who pushes you to a PR, it should count in my book. Whadda y'all think?

I like it. That would mean almost everybody that I run with. They are always pushing me to run faster, I think they are jealous of my form and the effortless look of my running style (definitely not my good looks). Note these are all shod runners, who I am slowly putting more and more 'you will feel better if you run barefoot' notions into their heads. ;-)

Right on Bob.  I do the same

Right on Bob. I do the same relentless soapboxing myself. The converted are starting to add up! :bigsmile:

I am in VFFs cuz I am a

I am in VFFs cuz I am a wuss. I never ran over 1.5 - 2 miles up until a couple weeks ago, and my best times so far, are:

Pavement: 3 miles, 30 minutes.

Trails: 3 miles, 1 hour.

I never timed myself BVFFS (before VFFs -lol), but, I would estimate by "feel" that I am at least 1/3 x faster with VFFs than I was with shoes.

Joshh wrote:Thanks for a

Joshh said:

Sounds good to me! I like the idea of "official" race times, but personally I'm not much of a fan of the shorter (5k and 10k) races, so my PRs in those have always been normal training runs. I haven't raced bf yet, but my first half is less than a month away. I'll definitely be back to this thread then. :D

My current pr's are5k road

My current pr's are

5k road 19:11

5k trail 20:05

10 road 41:05

10 trail 43:15

marathon 3:26

100k 13:52

Training now to go under 19 in my next 5k, and under 40 in my next 10. Also trying to break 3 hours later this month at the Charlevoix marathon. Have a 100k coming up this fall, working towards breaking 10 hours there. I train about 90/10 vff/bf, but race almost exclusively in vff's. Having something on my feet lets me focus more on racing and less on dodging rocks.

Jen, BFVFF's: dig

Jen, BFVFF's: dig it!

Chelsea, respect for those big distances. I'm slowly working my way up. :)

Dirtdemon, looks like we are pretty well matched other than age wise. See you back on this thread!

Just ran 3.57 miles, with

Just ran 3.57 miles, with 15000 of my closest friends, and I think my time was just better than 24 minutes. I would have been 30 seconds faster but for the number of competitors.

I saw one other barefoot runner and about 5 in VFF - one of them heel striking spectacularly!

Nice one Chris! I did a 5:29

Nice one Chris!

I did a 5:29 mile yesterday at the local track. As I was warming up I had to bark (definitely not my style) at a shoddy with earphones on that kept spitting every 20 meters.
angry_smile.gif

I've never raced a straight

I've never raced a straight ahead 5k, but my PR for the run leg of a Sprint tri (which is 5k normally) is 24:44. This was after a 500m swim and a short bike of only 10 miles. Longer bikes (normally the Sprint tri is closer to 13 or 14 mile rides) mean slightly slower run times, dropping to around 26 minutes.

The only time I've raced a 10k was at the end of my first (and so far only) Olympic distance tri and that split was 52:02.

Needless to say, the run leg is my weakest and the one that needs to most work. Oh yeah, all those times are in VFFs. No barefoot tri for the Dirtbag.

Good one DMC!  How old are

Good one DMC! How old are you?

havent done any races

havent done any races barefoot yet but i recently set a PR for my PFT (physical fitness test for Marines) 3 miles in 18:15 in my bikilas.

did 20 miles of the born to run 50k (may 2011) in my bikilas then switched to my green silences for the last 11 miles. 6hrs 17min, first ultra
regular_smile.gif

I think my 5K PR is somewhere

I think my 5K PR is somewhere around 24:08. 10K is more like 1:01:30, which could be a lot faster, but I didn't run very hard in that race. I've got another 10K coming up tomorrow. I should break an hour, but I doubt I will run hard, at least not for the first 3 or 4 miles.

By the way, my PR's are all barefoot. I was slower back in my shod days.

My Garm PR for fastest pace during a short sprint is a 4:18 pace. I'm hoping to get under 4:00 by the end of the summer. Lately, my sprinting has been really slow.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7