talonraid wrote:How did I

talonraid said:
How did I miss this thread for so long.

Title probably was'nt clear enough.

Never knew Sierra Nevada did

Never knew Sierra Nevada did a rye.

Trying out a Ruthless right now!

Anytime.  My father in law

Anytime. My father in law passed on his knowledge to me almost 13 years ago and I've been brewing since. I took what he taught me and learned to develop my own techniques. One book I would recommend it "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. I still refer to it when I experiment with developing some of my own recipes. It's probably in it's 3d or 4th edition by now. Also known as the Homebrewer's Bible.

It's a lot easier if you have someone to ask questions of or can call when you think something has gone right or just need some reassurance about what you're about to do. Remember it's brewing beer and was discovered quite by accident so even someone like Chaser or Pilot could probably be taught to make a passable brew. So, when you're ready shoot me a note and we can exchange phone numbers or facebook or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Thanks Talonraid,I'll be

Thanks Talonraid,

I'll be looking up that book. I will probably be buying the mixes for a while just to get the hang of things. My uncle has been homebrewing for over 20 years and still uses the mixes. I'm not sure if he doesn't want to risk a whole batch by using his own ingredients or if the mixes are just more convenient. He is also a beekeeper and is thinking of brewing mead.

Hey there's nothing wrong

Hey there's nothing wrong with using the kits or mixes. Plenty of people will find THE ONE that they like and make that all the time. It's beer! As long as you like it, that's all that matters. I like making different stuff and there are only a few beers that I have made more than once. I really like experimenting with the different ingredients and trying to create something that's wacky or completely new. But, everyone is different. One of my military buddies only makes Chilli (the pepper) Beer....he loves it and makes it 15 gallons at a time. I hate it, but won't tell him that. I muck it down, smile and ask for more....sometimes you have to bite the bullet for your bros.

Mead is an amazing creature. I've made a few batches of that stuff and it's fantastic! Try to find a local beekeeper/honey dude in your local area and that will add a certain amount of personal ownership to it. Also, I gave some mead to friends who discovered if they heated it up, it made a fantastic cold night drink. Sort of like the Gluewein in Germany. Oh, and it's the "honeymoon" drink for a reason. Some of my friends call it the Golden Panty Dropper...their term, not mine....Just writing about this makes me want to make some more.

I've also experimented with some ciders but they're not my favorites to make or drink. Most of the women in my life seem to like them though so....I make it on occasion.

alright. going out to buy a

alright. going out to buy a homebrewing kit and source some local honey. can i buy some in the meantime?

Thanks to this thread, I now

Thanks to this thread, I now really need to start cutting back my beer consumption. Maybe I'll try one a day this week.

One positive side affect to excessive beer drinking is I lost around 10lbs. since this thread started.

@Abide:  DO NOT SACRILEGE IN

@Abide: DO NOT SACRILEGE IN THIS HOUSE! Congrats on the weight loss though.

@Mike: Are you asking if you can buy some honey or buy some mead? Just kidding I assume you're talking Honey. If so, most homebrew stores worth their salt will sell good honey by the gallon. Just FYI for a 5 gallon batch (how I make it) it will probably take somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 lbs of honey. Enough to make Pooh Bear proud.

sorry, i was talking about

sorry, i was talking about buying some mead. can't you read my mind?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts