faster. colder.

ladycheshire5

Barefooters
Aug 16, 2011
I think I'm getting faster. 1.77miles today in a chilly 52*... I say that to give you east coasters a chuckle. But, seriously, in the shade I experienced the chilled concrete and the affect it had on my feet. Was tolerable but made everything feel like pins and needles. About 1 mile in I warmed up and it wasn't like that anymore. I've read about others having this sensation, I just discovered it. I'm sure it'll get worse ;) as we'll get into the 40's, with a possible occasional high 30's, through winter. Should be fun, looking forward to it! :D

Recorded with runtastic iPhone App
Pace: 11:17 min/miCalories: 181 kCalElevation: ↑ 305.12 ft

Asphalt is warmer than

Asphalt is warmer than concrete, since the color absorbs the heat better than concrete. I find concrete to be much colder than asphalt during the winter; and likewise, in the summer, I love the coolness of the concrete. So if you can find some asphalt...

Agree with TJ ... stay away

Agree with TJ ... stay away from concrete in the morning ... but search it out late in the day. Concrete retains its heat longer than asphalt.

PS

Welcome to the pins and needles support group!

LadyC., You will feel so

LadyC., You will feel so bloody virtuous by the time spring rolls around after running through what you used to consider impossible conditions. You'll see.

As for surfaces, I just wrote elsewhere (I forget where) on this site that I had a lovely fall run on Tuesday PM, and was reminded how nice it feels to be keenly sensitive to the pavement changing temps under my bare feet as I run from shade to sun.

Trails are another kettle of fish. They just get kinda sloppy in wintry weather. With that in mind, here's the forecast for this Saturday night, just ahead of my 10 Mile Trail Race on Sunday morning:

Saturday Night: Snow, mainly before 11pm. Low around 30. North wind between 7 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Blech!!! ...and yes, Virginia, I will be wearing my VFF's.

I have plenty of asphalt to

I have plenty of asphalt to pound! It's not quite as smooth but I'll give that a shot next chilly morning. JT, mind you, I wan't complaining, I made a vow to never complain about the California winters here! Just sharing my pins and needles experience. ;) I do NOT envy you! I cannot imagine barefooting in freezing weather.

Good luck with the Trail Race! I hope you don't get snowed out.

JT (and anyone else), are you

JT (and anyone else), are you part of the barefot winter running challenge yet? If not, join us under the Canada forum.

I think I'm signed up but the

I think I'm signed up but the Google Map flag bit was beyond me.

BTW, Here's the weather forecast for manana:

Saturday: Rain before 2pm, then rain and snow. High near 42. North wind between 14 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 31. North wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Sunday will be sunny and nearly 50 degrees, and I think they'll still run the race. It will be ugly, but I'll be there. The nastier the conditions, the better my chances of an AG medal!

Today I kept to as much

Today I kept to as much asphalt as I could, and forced myself to. The asphalt is not smooth at all and while I can run on it without a problem in warmer weather the colder temps are difficult. The pins and needles sensation makes it worse. The surface of the asphalt reminds me of how my mom used to frost a cake, a lot of little swirls that have little peaks on them, asphalt like that sorta sucks. My toes were numb too until after the first mile and I started to climb. This is a new turn of events too, adding half of the long hill back in to my runs. I ran it twice this week. Felt great, so happy to not have the foot pain I was having. I think I did fairly well doing 2.62 miles, ave pace of 11.09 min/mi and elev gain/loss of 689 ft. Also, wore my Merrell pace gloves to work all day twice this week without the leg fatigue I was getting. :D Dare I say I'm seeing some real progress?

We should have said that the

We should have said that the asphalt is not a perfect surface, just a warmer one. Concrete, depending on if it was scraped before it dried, can also be sharp. You just have to find that perfect path that works for you during the colder months. I prefer to run on the asphalt in a nearby town, since they have smooth paths, versus the chip and seal asphalt around my neighborhood, which feels like little razors during the winter.

Barefoot TJ wrote:We should

Barefoot TJ said:
We should have said that the asphalt is not a perfect surface, just a warmer one. Concrete, depending on if it was scraped before it dried, can also be sharp. You just have to find that perfect path that works for you during the colder months. I prefer to run on the asphalt in a nearby town, since they have smooth paths, versus the chip and seal asphalt around my neighborhood, which feels like little razors during the winter.

So this is what "chip seal" is. Not my friend but I'm forcing myself to go on it. At least it's not tearing up my soles. :)

I'm pretty stoked for todays run. This would have been a great run for me in shoes! LOL Although, I ran longer like 3+ miles. But still!! :) :D

just finished a runtastic run of 2.12 mi in 18m 59s
www.runtastic.com
Recorded with runtastic iPhone AppPace: 08:58 min/miCalories: 200 kCalElevation: ↑ 298.56 ft

I found this under Google

I found this under Google Images:

ChipSeal.jpg

Sorry for the interruption. 

Sorry for the interruption. Halloween candy called.

Anyway, the chip and seal where I live isn't as brutal as the stuff above, but it's still pretty abusive.

Here's another good

Here's another good shot:

Where I live, I can get 5 good miles out of a run if I include my neighborhood and the connecting one. Both of these in the single shot below are what our roads looks like.

Min
Pavement.JPG

Here's a good contrast in asphalt and chip and seal:

images

I found those on Google

I found those on Google Images, and all I did was right-click, copy, and paste. Do you have IE or Firefox or some other flavor? This simple method might not work in all browsers.

I have a mac, running Chrome

I have a mac, running Chrome or Safari as my browser. I'm going to try a copy and paste here:

IMG_0075.JPG.jpg

Cool, seems to work. :) I took a few more photos though, you can see them here: Chip and Seal

The image didn't embed

The image didn't embed properly, but I checked out the link. That looks a lot like the stuff I run on in some places. I think my neighborhood is a little rougher. That's a pretty good camera you have there that can pick up that much detail so close.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7