2012 Silicon Valley Turkey Trot

RunningPirate

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2012
I started to regain feeling in my feet after about 1½ miles. Up to this point, they were fairly numb due to the cold; after all it’s Thanksgiving Day. Well, maybe I should qualify that: The numbness was due to the “cold”. I have to put that in quotes because cold means a lot of things to a lot of people – so if you live in the Northeast, cold means temps are hovering around 0 F. But I wasn’t in the Northeast, I was in San Jose running the 8th Annual Silicon Valley Turkey Trot and temps were in the mid 50’s. Me and 8039 other folks were tooling through downtown San Jose, trying to make a caloric dent in forthcoming grotesque exercise in extreme gluttony to commence later in the day. This is the third year I’ve run this.

Overall, the run was good. I’d run 10K before BFR, but that was a trail run; this was all pavement. I hedged my bets by carrying a pair of Invisible Shoes with me, lest the road surface be too much to tolerate. Fortunately, they were not needed.

Also, I applied [ahem] “Nail Paint” to my toenails to make them aerodynamic.

Feet1.jpg

Orange and brown seemed to be somewhat seasonal, but folks did not notice my nice Earl Scheib-quality paint job (or if they did, they felt awkward saying something). Regardless, bolder colors for maximum “Dig Me” effect are in order.

Interestingly, it took a bit before I was able to settle my mind into just cruising down the road. Normally when I run, I’m somewhat familiar with the surface, but this was all new. In addition to that, I had 8000 other people to contend with. So it was a lot of random thoughts: Watch out for the pothole; run in the center of the road at the top of the crest; the manhole cover has drain holes in it, don’t get your toes stuck in one; pass this dude; pass that dude; pass this chick….no – wait – let’s hang back behind her, what’s the rush?; I can run on the painted lines if the road surface is too rough; I think I just stepped on a LEGO; that guy has a tattoo of either Pat Robertson or Andy Rooney on his calf – can’t tell which one.

I’m not positive I was the only one running barefoot, but I would not be surprised if that was the case. At first, while waiting for the race to start, I’d get the random sideways glances, or someone would whisper something to their friend who’d turn around and look at my feet. After the race started, more folks felt comfortable saying something. I’m happy to report that the comments were along the lines of “Hardcore!” followed by a fist bump, or the general “You’re running barefoot!” I’d ask if they tried BFR – some had, some hadn’t but said they wanted to – fair enough. I happened upon a couple of folks wearing min shoes but they weren’t up to chatting too much about footwear. I must have intimidated them with my aforementioned hardcoredness.

In the end, I’m happy with the outcome – I did 10K in 1:08:14, which gave me 10:59/mi. Being that shod, I normally run 10K in about 62 min, I can live with the 1:00/mi slower time. All this got me back to my friend’s house in time to start setting up for a meal that could choke Henry VIII.

Way to go RP! I am going for a decent run tomorrow to work off this crap ton of food I ate today.

Thank you! I figure if I tried to work off the calories I ate today, I'd need to climb Everest. Twice.

Congratulations, RP! Your description had me literally laughing out loud at least twice (Andy Rooney or Pat Robertson?!). Sounds like conditions were similar to those in the TT I ran as well, albeit mine was half the distance. And the comments were similar re barefoot. At one point I passed a rather loud young man who was pontificating to his female racing partner about all the races he's run and such. As I cruised by, he stopped in mid-sentence and I heard in my rear-view ear-ers "Whoa! That dude is running so fast he lost his shoes!"

On the train platform back after the race, we met a woman and her college age daughter who noticed our bare feet right away, and asked if we'd run the race that way. When we said yes, she was full of all sorts of questions -- not smart-ass questions, but genuine, I'm-looking-for-information questions, which I answered to the best of my ability. She said she was running in a half-marathon in April, and I mentioned that I had run that race in the past and was planning on doing it again this year. She wondered if she could start barefoot training now and be ready for that race, which I couldn't answer, but she was seriously thinking about giving it a try. When we got off the train, she thanked me for talking to her, and said "Hope to see you in April...barefoot!" That just made my day!

Congratulations, RP! Your description had me literally laughing out loud at least twice (Andy Rooney or Pat Robertson?!). Sounds like conditions were similar to those in the TT I ran as well, albeit mine was half the distance. And the comments were similar re barefoot. At one point I passed a rather loud young man who was pontificating to his female racing partner about all the races he's run and such. As I cruised by, he stopped in mid-sentence and I heard in my rear-view ear-ers "Whoa! That dude is running so fast he lost his shoes!"

On the train platform back after the race, we met a woman and her college age daughter who noticed our bare feet right away, and asked if we'd run the race that way. When we said yes, she was full of all sorts of questions -- not smart-ass questions, but genuine, I'm-looking-for-information questions, which I answered to the best of my ability. She said she was running in a half-marathon in April, and I mentioned that I had run that race in the past and was planning on doing it again this year. She wondered if she could start barefoot training now and be ready for that race, which I couldn't answer, but she was seriously thinking about giving it a try. When we got off the train, she thanked me for talking to her, and said "Hope to see you in April...barefoot!" That just made my day!

Thanks! Did you manage to point her to our website? I'm thinking that I should just have some cards printed up giving short answers to the top 3 questions we get and a "For more information, go to [web address]"

Reactions: happysongbird
Thanks! Did you manage to point her to our website? I'm thinking that I should just have some cards printed up giving short answers to the top 3 questions we get and a "For more information, go to [web address]"
No, she's not there yet. She doesn't really think of herself as a runner, and I'm just so thrilled that she's doing this at all that I'm not pushing anything at all, merely encouraging her to work at her own pace and schedule.

Since I can't help but be proud of her, here's a pre-race pic:

k-pre-TTrace2012web.jpg

Nice job Pirate. After reading your report and Thom's, I'm kind of surprised that you guys didn't see more barefoot runners. I thought there would be more in the California area. Maybe they are on the beach instead of races. I guess just another indicator of how rare it is. Anyway, glad you had a fun race and meal.

Nice job Pirate. After reading your report and Thom's, I'm kind of surprised that you guys didn't see more barefoot runners. I thought there would be more in the California area. Maybe they are on the beach instead of races. I guess just another indicator of how rare it is. Anyway, glad you had a fun race and meal.

Rick, I was as surprised by the lack of barefooters as you are, and believe me, I looked for them. Ours is, at least at this point, a distinct minority within the larger running community, even in a place like SoCal where you'd think it'd be a natural. I encourage people at every opportunity to at least give it a try, and I try to keep in mind my real hesitation about trying it myself. I have yet to actually say to anyone, "Take your shoes off right now and let's go for a short run," but I know that day is coming.:)

Congrats on your first road 10K, Matey, you silly thing.

Well done! Thanks for following in my footsteps, nail polish-wise. Love it!

My last race was my first BF 10K, too. 8000 and more runners! Wow! That is very impressive, and a lot of them got sight of your feet. Good for you!

Well done! Thanks for following in my footsteps, nail polish-wise. Love it!

My last race was my first BF 10K, too. 8000 and more runners! Wow! That is very impressive, and a lot of them got sight of your feet. Good for you!

Thank you, good sir! Yes, your encouragement is what drove me to paint the nails. Now, a follow on question to that: Are your nails painted all the time? or just for races? These are important details... :D

Nice job! 50 degrees, that is perfect barefoot running weather. I had to start at 32 degrees for my turkey trot, feet were feeling it while waiting for the start.

32F is impressive - honestly, I think I'd be wearing Invisible Shoes or the like, myself. Standing around for 20 mins on <32F pavement would be too much for the CA Native to handle...I trust you regained feeling after a few miles? Or was it after you got out of the post-run shower?

Thank you, good sir! Yes, your encouragement is what drove me to paint the nails. Now, a follow on question to that: Are your nails painted all the time? or just for races? These are important details... :D

Yeah I want an answer to that one, too. A race is one thing, but I think it kinda freaks out the guys in the locker room at the gym. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Yeah I want an answer to that one, too. A race is one thing, but I think it kinda freaks out the guys in the locker room at the gym. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

The locker room scene is an issue, but it's a double edged sword - yes, other guys may see something, but they know the general code of conduct is that you never say anything. It's akin to the bathroom rules: Eyes front, don't talk. Even if they wanted to say something to someone, it'd be like bumping in to your minister at the adult toy store - you're not going to say anything and he sure's the hell isn't going to either. Indeed:

Guy that saw you: "Hey, this dude in the locker room had painted toenails, an-- "
His friend: "What were you doing looking at his feet?"

This is where the advice is: Acknowledge, move on.

My one rule in life is that if something makes you feel happy and it doesn't cause harm to yourself or anyone else then do it, you don't need approval from anyone. So if you want to keep your toenails permanently painted, you go for it. Being playful and breaking conventions is the spice of life, without it you would become old very quickly.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon