What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

Lagunitas Imperial Stout. 9.9% alcohol content. Whew it's strong. You can actually slightly taste the alcohol. Almost rubbing alcohol'ish. Not sure how much I like it. It's drinkable but not my favorite.

Lagunitas Imperial Stout. 9.9% alcohol content. Whew it's strong. You can actually slightly taste the alcohol. Almost rubbing alcohol'ish. Not sure how much I like it. It's drinkable but not my favorite.

Yeah, I'd like to find a good stout. Thought I'd try to make my own, but I am not that confident in my ability to do so.

Yeah, I'd like to find a good stout. Thought I'd try to make my own, but I am not that confident in my ability to do so.
Is there a specific type of stout that you like? I had an Elysian stout (forgot the exact name but I think I just wrote about it on here a couple days ago) which was pretty good. There is also an Overcast Espresso Stout (I think that is the name) which is really really good.

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest is wet hopped heaven. I am, of course, drinking for medicinal purposes only. I was rear ended and do not want to stiffen up. She was going 40 mph. Fortunately, no one was hurt. I think all this working out has helped me take a hit like a champ. The cop was amazed that I wasn't hurt and asked a few times.
003a.jpg003a.jpg

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't drink a whole lot of beer but my recent favorite is Magic Hat's Heart of Darkness stout. It goes down easy, which I guess to me means it's not too bitter. My regular go to brew is Newcastle.

I've got a question though and I'll ask it here since this is the closest thing to a beer forum for me. Several years ago a coworker gave me a beer her husband made. It was the best beer I've had ever. Nothing* else I've had tastes even remotely like that did. The problem is, they don't remember what they put in it. The guy at the beer store asked them what they liked and sold them the stuff to make it. They don't remember what they said they liked. I don't know the right words to describe it either and I've been trying to come up with something. All I've got (and this is after years of possible confabulation) is it had a bright fresh green flavor, probably not too bitter.

*I did have a Magic Hat Seasonale (pretty sure it was Seasonale) at a party a couple years ago that slightly reminded me of it, but when I bought some of it for myself it wasn't the same.

So the question is, any ideas what was in it and what commercial beer might I try that would come close? Pretty sure it was an ale type rather than a lager.

I don't drink a whole lot of beer but my recent favorite is Magic Hat's Heart of Darkness stout. It goes down easy, which I guess to me means it's not too bitter. My regular go to brew is Newcastle.

I've got a question though and I'll ask it here since this is the closest thing to a beer forum for me. Several years ago a coworker gave me a beer her husband made. It was the best beer I've had ever. Nothing* else I've had tastes even remotely like that did. The problem is, they don't remember what they put in it. The guy at the beer store asked them what they liked and sold them the stuff to make it. They don't remember what they said they liked. I don't know the right words to describe it either and I've been trying to come up with something. All I've got (and this is after years of possible confabulation) is it had a bright fresh green flavor, probably not too bitter.

*I did have a Magic Hat Seasonale (pretty sure it was Seasonale) at a party a couple years ago that slightly reminded me of it, but when I bought some of it for myself it wasn't the same.

So the question is, any ideas what was in it and what commercial beer might I try that would come close? Pretty sure it was an ale type rather than a lager.

My first guess is that it was probably an IPA, as you said it tasted "green", in my book that means "hoppy", and "hoppy" means IPA. Looking at Magic Hat's website, "Seasonale" is an IPA with tropical fruit and mint overtones. My guess is that is the "green" flavor you were referring to. I am not a big fan of minty flavored beers, as if they are overdone they tend to taste like Listerene. I did find one beer on ratebeer that scored pretty hi "99" it is called Buckeye - Amarillo IPA and has hints of pine and mint, so it seems like it would seem very "green". If you can find that you might want to give it a try.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/buckeye-amarillo-ipa/27913/

Well, it didn't taste minty at all, from what I remember, but since it was new to me I might not have recognized it.Thanks for the tip about Buckeye--I'll try it if I can find it around here.

Picked up some SN Ruthless Rye on the way home from work today. First rye beer I've had. Went pretty well with the buffalo chicken sandwich I had for dinner. The rye went pretty well with an ipa. It's a keeper!

9b4d518a-24db-44fb-a4cc-fcec6dafcb63_zps3b6ece29.jpg

Picked up some SN Ruthless Rye on the way home from work today. First rye beer I've had. Went pretty well with the buffalo chicken sandwich I had for dinner. The rye went pretty well with an ipa. It's a keeper!

They've got cases of this at my local Total Wine, but have been busy buying up stuff with a bit more kick, guess I'm gonna have to spring for a six.

9b4d518a-24db-44fb-a4cc-fcec6dafcb63_zps3b6ece29.jpg
I've been thinking about trying this. Instead today I bought a sixer of an Elysian IPA (can't remember exact flavor as I haven't had one yet). Will be cracking one of those bad boys open here in just a few minutes. Beer seems to help me study and I have a stats quiz tomorrow morning so I really need to study well tonight! ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7