What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

I know what you mean about the wife shopping. My diet goes to he11 when she does it all, since I am the type that if I see junk food laying around I tend to cave:(...

Ran 5.5 miles today after I got home from work, havent been able to run after a dayshift in months so afterwards I treated myself to a Southern Tier 2XIPA.

No lie. My wife stocked up on the cookies and junk at Costco just before the holidays. It was all I could do to keep from piggin' out. Nevertheless, I was able to stay on my diet and am 11 lbs away from my goal (no thanks to her). She means well, and can eat like a pig and never gain weight. She bakes all of the time too (grinds wheat berries and everything), that is really hard to stay away from, so I steel some of her grains, add a few embellishments and make some pretty decent home-brews,

Gonna have to try the 2XIPA.

Snowin' the bejeezus right now. Tomorrow looks like a great day for an extended run.

Reactions: NickW
Real Ale Brewing Co. in Blanco, TX has a Brewers Cut series right now and just got some of their Imperial Red Ale. I like it a lot. Not as much as the Lagunitas Sucks, but it is pretty good.

I noticed a couple days ago that ruthless rye from Sierra Nevada was on the shelves. I was in a hurry just getting something specific so I didn't pick any up but figured I'd mention it. I've never had it, worth trying?

Yes, definitly. It has that classic peppery rye taste, adds a new dimension to the bitterness of the hoppy IPA styles.
Founders Reds Rye P A is another worth tasting if it's available around you.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
image_zpsd2fd3db9.jpg

After working into the night here at the camp, it was time to call it quits for today. Prepping the saw for tomorrow and enjoying a Raison d'être. (Make that a couple). Also testing out this new iPhones camera and to see if I can post and upload with it.

image_zpsd2fd3db9.jpg

After working into the night here at the camp, it was time to call it quits for today. Prepping the saw for tomorrow and enjoying a Raison d'être. (Make that a couple). Also testing out this new iPhones camera and to we if I can post and upload with it.

Just polished off my third Arrogant Bastard. Heading to bed. Got no choice. :cool:

Your chain's a bit loose, which I find makes sharpenning a little sloppy.

Chainsaws and brew don't mix. I have a curf that took 110 sutures to close in my left thigh that reminds me. I wasn't induging when I did it, I just don't want another one in either leg, thank you.

Are you an Arborist, Tris?

The way beer does intersect well with trees in my world - I was given a case of Victory Brewing Co.'s Hop Devil IPA for felling a neighbor's tree. The tree was a 40'' DBH Cherry that turned out to be 90% hollow. I put a face cut on it, plunge cuts right and left from within 2" of the hinge back to 2" of the back of the tree. Put the saw down, walked over and tightened up on the tag line set to the top of tree (with an in line 2:1 pulley) walked back, and just touched the saw to the back of the tree, and whoomp! down she went. I packed up my lines and other gear and drove away, leaving the cutting up and clean up to said neighbor. Such fun! and excellent beer!

Picked up a sampler case from Mendocino Brewery. So far I tried both the Eye of the Hawk and Red Tail Ale and both were very good. $22 from Costco, as long as the oatmeal stout and pale ale hold up it should be a good deal.

Sitting here with a Schlafly Tasmanian IPA. Well, it's really brewed in Missouri, but they do use Tasmanian hops.

IMG_20130122_220721.jpg

This is a very hoppy beer with hints of citrus, passion fruit, and pineapple. The flavor is wild. Definitely gonna buy this one again.

Sitting here with a Schlafly Tasmanian IPA. Well, it's really brewed in Missouri, but they do use Tasmanian hops.

I had that this past summer and loved the stuff. Wish I could get it here!
Your chain's a bit loose, which I find makes sharpenning a little sloppy.

Chainsaws and brew don't mix. I have a curf that took 110 sutures to close in my left thigh that reminds me. I wasn't induging when I did it, I just don't want another one in either leg, thank you.

Are you an Arborist, Tris?

Nope, just a do-it-yourselfer that enjoys being able to live off the land as much as possible. That and it saves around or over 2 grand a year in propane.I don't do any fancy felling (I mean I've never used any lines or anything, well wedges I often use) but I'm still pretty decent with the different kind of cuts. I've done a few plunge cuts and stuff with dead timber to avoid the barber chairs and such. I had 1 barber chair and couple other close calls years ago, now I am much safer especially since I cut alone. And I wear the kevlar on the thighs too. You can sort of see the helmet with full face shield and muffs behind the saw as well, I take safety to the highest degree that I can by myself.

I obviously dont drink and operate saws, I think at that point I was even done sharpening.It was like 11PM here I think when I took that pic and posted it, I just included the saw for some added interest in the pic, and well since it was already sitting on the kitchen table.:D

Those Granberg sharpener holds the chain tight, and I pull the chain back tight against the stop with my left hand while I sharpen it with my right.

Just finished dinner at the Happy Greek in downtown Columbus. Nice little place! And they still ha Great Lakes Christmas Ale on tap. Great food great beer. Just 2 and I'm glad my wife is drivin. ;)

I had that this past summer and loved the stuff. Wish I could get it here!

My local Total Wine store has several cases at $48/case (limit 1/customer/visit). I got one yesterday, maybe get another tomorrow (for emergency stores dontchaknow). This ain't Superbowl beer, this is for me! I've still got 20 bottles of a bock that I made this past summer that will be football fare.

Got to have a little celebratory Walking Man Homo Erectus Imperial Ale again tonight. Man, I think I am going to start brewing my own beer, and I think I am going to try to learn how to brew a beer like that, this way I could have it every day if I wanted. At 9% on an empty stomach, had me dang near looped before dinner even arrived.

Reactions: Bare Lee
took my mom and her husband out to eat at what is tagged as the country's first paleo restaurant, Dick's Kitchen. ordered a gluten free beer called Omission by Widmer bros. the rents liked it and so went to TJ's for some bacon and found some Omission there. store had IPA which was good, not too hoppy. had a lager with dinner.

I'm not big into Stouts [yet] but as a big Great Lakes fan I pick up anything I've seen from them, and this was the first time I saw this beer on the shelves. Thats one rich beer. And at 9% it seems aptly named. But the name is actually after the 'Blackout of 2003" that effected a good chunk of the northeastern US. Since I basically work as a 'grid operator' this has a little extra meaning to me. I didn't join the company until '05, though I've read plenty of reports on the massive outage. A few folks I have worked with were actually on the desk when it happened, including one of my shift supervisors. And we were mainly responsible for stopping its spread to the south and west from our neighbor First Energy up north. Folks don't know that things could have been much worse. ;)

Reactions: NickW