Optimal strength training for runners

Yah, you military guys carry a lot more than a hiker, a sensible hiker anyway. I hiked in the Andes with a German and a Israeli guy who had just finished his three-year military service. The Israeli carried pretty much everything conceivable, in a pack that began just above his knees and went up over his head. He was in misery the whole time. My theory of hiking is to go as light as possible, and just eat dry food, but I didn't mind having him whip out his cooking gear at the end of the day and make a nice, hot three-course meal, as long he carried all the gear.

My son is about 30 pounds now, and my daughter fifty, so I have graded shoulder weights whenever I need them, but I agree with Abide, best just to run.

Anyway, family schedule is changing and I might have to adopt early morning st. I can do running at 5am, but st at that hour is a hard sell. Maybe if I let go of the 1RMs, and do 3x5 sets across at 80-85% RPE, while I'm adapting, I'll manage it.

So anyway, after all this overthinking, I might be back to my old Weights M-W-F, and Running Tu-Th-Sa schedule. The everyday 5K idea might never get a proper airing.

Yeah same here, I can just throw the kids in the back pack and go for a walk if I need some weighted walks. I was intrigued a little about the hand weights and excessive walking motion as more of a recovery tool than an aerobic one. Maybe I'll take the 2.5kg plates with me tomorrow morning to see if it does anything.
Early mornings are tough sometimes to run and lift. I tend to have more issues running than lifting oddly different than Nick. It seems like the older I get the longer it takes to get my blood flowing for a run, almost to the 2 mile point. Which is fine when you are running 10 but not fine when you are only running 3.
Getting a good nights sleep is probably the most important thing. Only drinking one beer the night before is probably second. And drinking a couple of glasses of water right after you wake up and before you drink coffee helps too. Taking the dog for a short walk as a warmup and doing some dynamic stretches on the walk is also better than going directly to the gym.

Now I can't decide if a flexible agenda is good or not. I am thinking its better to stick to the plan and get the work done every day. Do some more if you have extra time but never less if you can help it.

Reactions: NickW
Yeah same here, I can just throw the kids in the back pack and go for a walk if I need some weighted walks. I was intrigued a little about the hand weights and excessive walking motion as more of a recovery tool than an aerobic one. Maybe I'll take the 2.5kg plates with me tomorrow morning to see if it does anything.
Early mornings are tough sometimes to run and lift. I tend to have more issues running than lifting oddly different than Nick. It seems like the older I get the longer it takes to get my blood flowing for a run, almost to the 2 mile point. Which is fine when you are running 10 but not fine when you are only running 3.
Getting a good nights sleep is probably the most important thing. Only drinking one beer the night before is probably second. And drinking a couple of glasses of water right after you wake up and before you drink coffee helps too. Taking the dog for a short walk as a warmup and doing some dynamic stretches on the walk is also better than going directly to the gym.

Now I can't decide if a flexible agenda is good or not. I am thinking its better to stick to the plan and get the work done every day. Do some more if you have extra time but never less if you can help it.
Yah, I'm pretty slow in the morning--like you said, it takes longer to warm up, up to two miles--but I've never done it consistently, except for the one-mile run commutes, for more than a week or two, so who knows? Maybe I would take less time to warm up after a while. One thing, I was able to run tempo pace running barefoot first thing in the morning to my office this last winter, so it's probably all mental.

I suspect, though, that the same will hold true for weights, that, initially at least, I won't be able to lift with the same intensity, but the default is just to get it in. Any progress or 1RM may be best viewed as gravy. For me the secret to waking up fresh is to drink a lot of water before I go to bed, which also means only having one beer in the evening. A good night's sleep is also contingent on exercise, so it's a virtuous circle once the pattern is set, although I find I sleep best when the exercise comes at the end of the afternoon.

For me running was something we did every morning for PT in the Army. After we were good and warmed up and awake we would then go and do weights or other ST, plyo, mobility stuff. Maybe my years of doing that ingrained it into me. I seem to wake up more and faster with running than with weights. I also have less temptation to quit when I am out on the road because I still have to come back. When doing ST I know I can quit at anytime, which normally means I only do that when not feeling it, but at early morning hours I am never feeling it so the temptation to just bag it is strong for me.

Reactions: Abide and Bare Lee
For me running was something we did every morning for PT in the Army. After we were good and warmed up and awake we would then go and do weights or other ST, plyo, mobility stuff. Maybe my years of doing that ingrained it into me. I seem to wake up more and faster with running than with weights. I also have less temptation to quit when I am out on the road because I still have to come back. When doing ST I know I can quit at anytime, which normally means I only do that when not feeling it, but at early morning hours I am never feeling it so the temptation to just bag it is strong for me.

Yeah I just think its more of an ingrained routine preference. I lift in the morning because I have a home gym and can't do it during lunch, but I could run at lunch so I think over the years it just became routine like you. I should try to break it though, I get twitchy when I develop OCD patterns.

I tried hand weighted walking and found it extremely cumbersome. I'm not going to try it again.
Maybe I'll get around to getting some hking poles, I think the motion of pushing may be more natural while walking than the exaggerated pull swing with hand weights.

I tried hand weighted walking and found it extremely cumbersome. I'm not going to try it again.
Maybe I'll get around to getting some hking poles, I think the motion of pushing may be more natural while walking than the exaggerated pull swing with hand weights.
The little I know about biomechanics suggests that tinkering with the weight at extremities could really screw up the whole movement pattern. Something about how levers work. I use ankle weights for my mobility / dynamic stretching exercises, but seems like they would also be a bad idea for walking. I read somewhere that carrying a water bottle while running can cause repetitive stress too, but I forgot exactly how. Seems like the general rule is you want to leave the limbs free to do their thing and put the weight as close to the spine as possible. Let us know how the hiking poles work out. I could never understand that, but I've never tried.

Almost over my cold, will try running this afternoon, maybe. A whole week without st and I feel like a weak old man.

I wonder if the weight vest would be bad for the joints with barefooting. Maybe some cushioning is needed. Perhaps, walking on loose sand would be helpful?
Oh, I dunno. I'm not too worried about the joints. Last fall I was already about 225 and could run half-marathonish distances once or twice a week, and 30-40 mpw overall. And my time of recovery diminished from something like 2-3 days to less than 12 hours over just a couple of months. No joint pain whatsoever.

Just have to get back to that consistency again. It's mostly a mental thing, but the last few months have thrown up a few obstacles too. I actually feel pretty good about things, and know exactly what has to be done. Just waking up at 5 instead of 3 makes a huge difference on my metabolism. Now I need to get the running back up to 30mpw, and the ST to a good 3-4 workouts per week, and then just sit back and watch the prepper-like excess storage come off 1-2 pounds a week, no dietary modifications necessary. That's what's always done it for me in the past anyway. Still, this head cold is taking it's own sweet time about leaving. It's been so long since I've had more than the sniffles that I had forgotten what it's like to be sick.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
Yah, you're making good progress. Hard to believe I was down to 210 at one point. Six months of inconsistent exercise will do that. When you get older, there's almost no margin of sloth. I've been waking up a little later this week, and that, surprisingly, seems to help.
Down about 15 pounds now. Just gotta keep up doing the right things. Really, what I am finding is it's not as much about what I eat (I mean it is kind of, but the weight doesn't seem to come off any better or faster) but more about how much I eat. That is a really tough concept for me, but what I am finding is that I can still eat pizza or other not so healthy foods as long as I watch my caloric intake. Helps to make it not feel like a diet you know. I seem to be balancing eating healthy and proper amounts along with still occasionally eating the foods I crave and like. When I was younger I didn't have to watch my diet at all as long as I exercised, but I think my life is too sedentary right now for that.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Down about 15 pounds now. Just gotta keep up doing the right things. Really, what I am finding is it's not as much about what I eat (I mean it is kind of, but the weight doesn't seem to come off any better or faster) but more about how much I eat. That is a really tough concept for me, but what I am finding is that I can still eat pizza or other not so healthy foods as long as I watch my caloric intake. Helps to make it not feel like a diet you know. I seem to be balancing eating healthy and proper amounts along with still occasionally eating the foods I crave and like. When I was younger I didn't have to watch my diet at all as long as I exercised, but I think my life is too sedentary right now for that.

Nice, yeah I think that is why moderation is much more successful than elimination.

Yah, lots of good dumbbell exercises out there. Still think they should come after the barbell exercises in a workout though. First recruit maximal muscle mass, at lower reps, then fine tune things with lower weight, higher rep stuff. That's what works for me anyway.

Finally did some bench pressing yesterday, after almost two weeks off from st. Hoping it primed me well for a full session of squats, presses and dips today.

Reactions: Abide and NickW
Yeah but in a situation like vacation, there are some good ideas for hotel workouts from that article.
Although I am not sure why you would only have 1 dumbbell? I have to admit I am not a big fan of one armed stuff because it takes twice as long to do the whole workout. But I am kind of spacey and easily distracted in the gym. So getting in and getting the work done fast works best for me.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yeah but in a situation like vacation, there are some good ideas for hotel workouts from that article.
Although I am not sure why you would only have 1 dumbbell? I have to admit I am not a big fan of one armed stuff because it takes twice as long to do the whole workout. But I am kind of spacey and easily distracted in the gym. So getting in and getting the work done fast works best for me.
Have you looked into something like WOSS suspension straps? Seems like that might work well in a hotel or nearby park, and they're lightweight for packing.

Another nice thing about dumbbells is the grip tends to be more neutral/natural, so less stress on the wrists and elbows.

Have you looked into something like WOSS suspension straps? Seems like that might work well in a hotel or nearby park, and they're lightweight for packing.

Another nice thing about dumbbells is the grip tends to be more neutral/natural, so less stress on the wrists and elbows.

Those are pretty nice and cheap. I would consider getting something like that if I did travel a lot. I like the single insertion point makes it a little easier to hang than rings.
I do have a pair of rings that I have yet to use. One of these days I'll add in some work with them. I got them primarily for back rowing work and pushups/dips. But with the plan I am following the work wasn't heavy enough to fit them in.

Speaking of which I am seeing pretty good progress so far with my modified 40 day, one thing I may adjust in the future if I ever did this again is to only deadlift once or twice a week. By the end of the week I really feel beat down. However I did a psuedo max today and pulled a 308 very easily. So its working in a very short time too.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW