Becoming a tech whore

Wow. There has been a lot of tech gear talk... I am stone age compared to all you folks. I really don't believe in all that stuff either. I can understand you northerners and Canadians who layer stuff and really run in the cold, but I used to get along down to 0 deg F, not sure about windchill, just fine with sweatpants, a cotton shirt, and a thin-ish windbreaker. Obviously I used gloves and a headband for the ears, but it really seems like a lot of people really over dress. I'm not saying any of you all do it, but I see a ton of people do it here in OR. They look at me like I am a freak in my shorts and long sleeve shirt that once I warm up have the sleeves pushed up on. I think a lot of this running gear is just a way to sell most of us crap that we don't need. Most of us don't need a lot of the stuff but are led to believe we do.

Sound theory, but keeping your core hot enough to keep your feet warm, while not sweating much, is walking a razor's edge.
Well, I better practice balancing then, so far I have been subscribing to that theory. ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Wow. There has been a lot of tech gear talk... I am stone age compared to all you folks. I really don't believe in all that stuff either.
Eh, running clothes are just tools.

When I first started my actual tool collection, I just had a few screwdrivers. Then got a hammer, drill, tape measure, adjustable wrench. Then ratchet set, laser level, jigsaw, workbench, etc. I still use the screwdrivers the most, but it's nice to have the right tools when I need them.

My tech shirt and shorts work fine 90% of the time. Though, it's nice to have the other stuff to prevent me from making up some lame excuse about not exercising due to weather.

I just realized that you're getting a lot of "I wear this" and "I like this brand" comments, but maybe not a lot of specifics for your 26F weather.

long sleeve baselayer
jacket (cheaper at Amazon)

My best guess is that you could probably manage with these two items. Maybe buy a few wicking baselayers (of any brand) and wash those regularly, and then wash the jacket once weekly (if needed). I say best guess, because we haven't had any freezes in FL, since I bought these specific items.

Tights, sweats, and hat are all good, too. Those are available in wicking fabrics as well. However, your core is probably the most important and tricky to manage correctly.

Also, I'm wondering if you got this polartec fleece jacket from REI. I'm guessing that the wind goes right through that. This might be better, if you're into REI, as it's wind and water-resistant, but it's not a running specific jacket. If you're paying that much, then the PI jacket is the way to go. It's a softshell, has pit zips for venting, and fist mitts built in, and is recommended for temperatures between 8˚F and 22˚F.

Edit: "between 8˚F and 22F" - I should have read that part more carefully when I bought it. That's not going to happen in Orlando! Although, I got it for more than 50% off and use it as a warm-up jacket.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I agree Nick. My shorts and jacketless runs get odd looks here in the overdressed PDX area. Some days I just can't get warm, though and the running pants are nice (I live on the east side and it's more a wind than ambient temp issue for me). I usually go out in shorts, long sleeve tee and a ball cap. I'll add ear cover and a windbreaker if it is super windy/rainy.

In other techy news I just jettisoned my GPS. it was getting finicky and not holding a charge, so I returned it to REI (love that place for this very reason) and got a Garmin FR70 heart rate monitor/stopwatch instead. Nice replaceable battery, less crap to go wrong and I finally have a HRM again (which I value more as a fitness nerd than GPS data). If I can find a deal on a foot pod I'll still get speed/distance info back, It just won't have super pretty map and elevation info. Of course, that's what the Iphone is for, amirite?

Lee, I'm not sure the exact material of my shirts, but they are mostly all the cheap Champion tech shirts from Target, real smooth and lightweight and I've never had a problem with chaffed nipples in them.
I think that I picked up the same shirt and shorts at Target last week, when I was desperate for a run and without my usual gear. It's good stuff, but too thick for FL, where it can get hot and humid enough that the sweat never evaporates. Florida summers pretty much turn all tech shirts into a wet, sopping cotton T's.

Edit: make that wet, sopping cotton T's that eventually shred your nipples.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
OK, well thanks fellas, that's a lot of info to process. I like REI because there's a branch that's close and if I start shopping around at different stores I could spend a week at this, completely confused by all the consumer options the global economy of sweat shops has provided me. Best to stick to one store. Plus REI offers house brand equivalents of most of the gear for 20-30 percent less than the main brands. And then they give me a 5-10 percent member discount on everything. And they've further ellicited costumer loyalty by offering me $100 to sign up for their Visa Card. Plus the store is stocked with lots of outdoorsy sales staff, so I can pretend I'm in Boulder Colorado for a few minutes, enjoying a superior lifestyle, chatting about kayaking over a nice Shiraz or IPA.

The polyester base layer http://www.rei.com/product/778291/rei-oxt-tech-long-sleeve-t-shirt-mens and the fleece jacket http://www.rei.com/product/814743/rei-woodland-fleece-jacket-mens I got were the REI house brands I think. So I think I just need a middle layer 260 weight merino wool turtle neck and I should be all set for our coldest days, when the high is something like 0 F or -20 C. It doesn't get much colder than that here in the afternoon, which is when I run, and in any case I won't be running in those temps barefoot, so the whole overheat the core concept doesn't apply then anyway. And we rarely get those temps for more than a few days before it starts to warm up again. I may also use the same three layers on warmer days, up to freezing, to see if that helps the bare feet stay warm, but my sense is that an overheated core only has minimal benefit. Once the feet start to go numb, there's just not much you can do except shod the poor beasts or return them to the corral (the horse image came to me because on one section of my fairgrounds loop I go past the UofM farm campus barns and get a whiff of the cows, which to my untrained nose, could easily be horses, and in fact, may very well be, except it doesn't make sense for an agriculture school to have horses, does it?).

Reactions: Sid
OK, well thanks fellas, that's a lot of info to process. I like REI because there's a branch that's close and if I start shopping around at different stores I could spend a week at this, completely confused by all the consumer options the global economy of sweat shops has provided me. Best to stick to one store. Plus REI offers house brand equivalents of most of the gear for 20-30 percent less than the main brands. And then they give me a 5-10 percent member discount on everything. And they've further ellicited costumer loyalty by offering me $100 to sign up for their Visa Card. Plus the store is stocked with lots of outdoorsy sales staff, so I can pretend I'm in Boulder Colorado for a few minutes, enjoying a superior lifestyle, chatting about kayaking over a nice Shiraz or IPA..

True story: while shopping at REI yesterday, I was randomly offered a high five from a passing employee. Of course I reciprocated, to which he replied "That's what I'm talkin' about!"

I share this to add yet another reason to Lee's list of why I love REI. Been a member/shopper there for 17 or so years now.

Late to the party....

BareLee - I live in Massachusetts, and while it isn't as cold as Minnesota, it gets down there.

For the coldest days, I run in cross-country ski gear. I like the thin running tight + soft pant shell combo. Head out to the ski store and see what they have. The Pearl Izumi thermal tights are nice, but won't do for subzero temps.

Reactions: dutchie53
I just realized that you're getting a lot of "I wear this" and "I like this brand" comments, but maybe not a lot of specifics for your 26F weather.

long sleeve baselayer
jacket (cheaper at Amazon)

My best guess is that you could probably manage with these two items. Maybe buy a few wicking baselayers (of any brand) and wash those regularly, and then wash the jacket once weekly (if needed). I say best guess, because we haven't had any freezes in FL, since I bought these specific items.

Tights, sweats, and hat are all good, too. Those are available in wicking fabrics as well. However, your core is probably the most important and tricky to manage correctly.

Also, I'm wondering if you got this polartec fleece jacket from REI. I'm guessing that the wind goes right through that. This might be better, if you're into REI, as it's wind and water-resistant, but it's not a running specific jacket. If you're paying that much, then the PI jacket is the way to go. It's a softshell, has pit zips for venting, and fist mitts built in, and is recommended for temperatures between 8˚F and 22˚F.

Edit: "between 8˚F and 22F" - I should have read that part more carefully when I bought it. That's not going to happen in Orlando! Although, I got it for more than 50% off and use it as a warm-up jacket.
Well, I kept the polyester base layer I got at REI - $30
http://www.rei.com/product/778291/rei-oxt-tech-long-sleeve-t-shirt-mens
and the fleece jacket - $50
http://www.rei.com/product/814743/rei-woodland-fleece-jacket-mens
I got these tights - $50 -for using as long underwear under my sweats on the colder days (my wife thinks they make me look like a ridiculous white person):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLOXJE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
and this mid-layer turtle neck - $73
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TD61X2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I returned the Power Stretch gloves for this pair - $25
http://www.rei.com/product/803855/rei-recycled-fleece-grip-gloves
and as mentioned before I think, I got the Oregon Research Peruvian cap - $22
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P8QME2/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00
That's about $250 in order to run less sweaty in sub-freezing temps three months out of the year. Will be worth it in the long run, so to speak, I guess, and luckily three of the items count as x-mas presents to me from the wife and kids and my folks.

I liked your recs Sid, particularly the Rauk jacket, but there were a lot more than REI near-equivalents I already got, so I'll see how this kit works first. Unfortunately I'm a little sick, so I won't be able to check out the new gear until Saturday/tomorrow at earliest.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
Well, ya know, it's not like you won't wear the clothes. When you think about it, you're going to spend a fair amount of time in these clothes, so it's a good idea to buy something that is going to be both durable and comfortable.

Check out Sierra Trading Post around February or March. I typically buy my winter running gear in the spring and my summer running gear in the fall.

Reactions: Lomad
Well, ya know, it's not like you won't wear the clothes. When you think about it, you're going to spend a fair amount of time in these clothes, so it's a good idea to buy something that is going to be both durable and comfortable.

Check out Sierra Trading Post around February or March. I typically buy my winter running gear in the spring and my summer running gear in the fall.
Yup, I agree with Silly. I shop for most of my stuff out of season also. You get the best bang for the buck that way.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7