Becoming a tech whore

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Thanks to my participation on this site, and its various forums, I'm slowly going from a low tech runner to a high tech runner. Besides purchasing the Garmin 205 in June, I've recently acquired an REI 'base-layer' and a Polartec insulating jacket, some power stretch gloves, and an Oregon Research Peruvian Cap. Is any of it necessary? No, I don't think so, but I suppose it might be nice to stay a little drier on the cold runs. I'll try to report my experience with this crap after a few more weeks of using it.

In the meantime, has anyone noticed a considerable improvement with this kind of thing, or is it more like a modest enhancement over regular sweat clothes and winter wraps?

One thing's for sure, I will resist wearing tights for quite some time to come. Long underwear and sweatpants for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Sid
I run in my cheap Champion shorts and Champion shirts. Target special. Only thing high tech for me is my Garmin FR 305. I don't like tights myself, but if you do more power to you. I get too hot too easy so I can't wear a lot of that stuff that covers too much skin. If I lived out somewhere colder I still would just wear my workout pants and no tights.

Reactions: Sid
I recently got these thermal tights at Nashbar for use with winter cycling, but they work friggen' awesome for running, too! IMHO they do a much better job at insulating and keeping your legs warm than looser-fitting pants because you don't have that layer of air between the material and your skin. I have run BF down to mid-30's in the dry so far with these and stayed pretty warm.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Catego...Skin&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm=

And here we are trying to convince people to do the opposite, go minimalist. sigh. Teasing. The clothing might be a good option for those who don't like to run naked, unlike Jason Robillard I understand. But he's not just a tech whore; he's an attention whore!

Reactions: Pon
I run in my pajamas a good chunk of the time. Otherwise it is clothes I got from my mom and sister. I just got a sweatshirt from Marshalls that is uber nice. (Avalanche brand).

Reactions: Bare Lee
i use tech wear, fabrics, in the winter. yes, i wear tights. they keep me warm. last year i was walking cooling off talking with jen. it was raining and she started freezing. i was fine.

i use tech wear, fabrics, in the winter. yes, i wear tights. they keep me warm. last year i was walking cooling off talking with jen. it was raining and she started freezing. i was fine.

And let's not forget the bank-robber-tech-whore-mask you were wearing, was also keeping you quite warm. :D

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
I don't understand the tights keep you warm thing. I always felt cold in tights when I've tried them. My workout pants on the other hand I am warmer than snot. From my understanding from living in cold weather anything tight fitting like tights helps to wick away moisture but isn't great at keeping you warm, which is where they recommend the looser outer layer. For me I just skip the base layer and use the looser outer layer.

I go tech enough to avoid cotton. As the sweat I put out can change the humidity within a 2 block radius, cotton turns into some sort of giant sopping sweat rag (with pink streaks on the front if I'm doing the whole bleeding nipple thing). Thus, I go to tech fabrics- I can still soak them out, but they at least try to keep up with my output. Haven't considered or deconsidered tights; I find that with Bay Area temps, if I can get past the first 5 minutes, I'm up to operating temperature and I'm fine. Worst case I wear a beanie, which - again - gets taken off after 5 minutes. I don't bother with rain gear - wet is wet...

my tights may be part wool. don't remember but they keep me warm and are a bit water repellant. now if i can just remember to buy some wrist bands like Dan i should be golden.

oh, i've heard cotton kills. at least in the winter. it will hold water and you don't want that next to your body. wool also works great but is expensive.

I wear tight fitting cotton in the winter. It gets wet, but stays warm -on me anyway. Forget fancy fabrics -they all make my skin break out in a rash anyway.

I wear tight fitting cotton in the winter. It gets wet, but stays warm -on me anyway. Forget fancy fabrics -they all make my skin break out in a rash anyway.

Oh, look at you all sexy in your tight cotton shirt :D

Mike - Yes, I spout the "cotton kills" bit as well. Though admittedly, it is probably more lethal on multi-day trips in the cold, than a one-hour run. Unless, you're getting strangled by a cotton rope - then the temperature or duration makes no difference.

Well, technical tights (sigh) I invested in some. Actually I do look nice in them , much slimmer than without :D, but my tender parts are freezing, it's just horrible!
Has anyone tried the pure wool tights of Icebreaker's ? I would like to buy one but I'm not sure how they fit. Or perhaps just a wooly pant under the tech tight? That would be less expensive...

I run all year round in tights, they prevent a lot of the muscle bounce so you fatigue less. I'm pretty sure not all tights are equal though so do your research.
I also swear by technical wicking fabrics, cotton is a bad idea. Much better to wear a lot of lightweight layers in the winter than one heavy one that will get wet, remain wet and suck the heat from your body.

OK, first of all, Californians are in a different league. In my case, I'm thinking mostly about sub-freezing temps, and mostly-mostly about sub- 10 F / - 10 C type temps. I've only gone on a few of those runs so far, but they're on the horizon, being sent down from Canada by Dutchie within the next week or two. On my run on Sunday, the windchill was 9 F, -12 C. I wore

two sets of wrist bands on my ankles,
double sweat pants,
my new REI base-layer shirt, a cotton turtle neck, and a hoodie on my upper body,
a Vikings head band and a cheap cap on my head,
and some cheap winter gloves on my hands.

I was fine, actually overdressed but I was subscribing to the theory that a hot core would help the bare feet, and everything was fairly moist when I got back, and I had only been out an hour or so. But my base layer shirt wasn't too bad, fairly dry actually. Most of the moisture had indeed been wicked away and became trapped in the cotton turtle neck over it. So that's why I'm considering the higher tech solution for the rest of my cold-weather running kit. Not so much to keep warm, but to stay dry. If I were to stop and walk for a long period after running, then I would imagine the moist clothing would make me cold too, but I just do out-and-backs, so it's never been a problem. I've run plenty in the winter like this, and also delivered newspapers all through school, starting when I was 11, not to mention sledding and skating and such, so I know winter almost as well as the Winterpagans.

I also liked the idea of the higher tech gloves so that I could put on my Moc3s without having to remove the bulkier Menards-type cheap thermo gloves I have, and I should also be able to manipulate my Garmin a bit better with them.

The tights, I dunno. Would dogs be tempted to sniff at my package? Is it indecent for middle-aged guys to flaunt their butt-cheeks? Would looser-fitting fleece tights or sweats be just as good? Or should I use tights as a base-layer, and wear my sweats on top? Something like this?: http://www.rei.com/product/836620/the-north-face-winter-warm-tights-mens

I also got one of those bank-robber ski masks with air holes by the mouth and a bigger hole for the nostrils, and velcro that attaches in the back for a tight wrap. I got it about 15 years ago I think. It works great on those really cold runs, like 0 F or -15-20 C, or below--much better than a scarf. So I'm open to the idea of higher tech gear, it's just that, as TJ notes, my barefoot sensibility is to always make do with less or simpler unless absolutely necessary. I started my bicycle travels across Europe, Africa, and the Middle East with a second-hand 10-speed Peugeot (bought it in London from Loot), for example, but I was quickly disabused of that low-tech commitment, and ended up with a proper 21-speed mountain bike, a technology that was still relatively new at the time.

@ Patrick, Thanks for the link!

@ Skedaddle, for my privates, on the coldest days, I put a wool sock down there, the smart wool becomes nut wool. But I don't know how that would look with tights. I'm already a little self-conscious about having that area put into relief if I were to take up Dutchie's suggestion.

Mike - Yes, I spout the "cotton kills" bit as well.
So do I, but really it's only my nipples that cotton kills. Other than that I really don't mind it because here in OR it doesn't get that cold. On a happy note it snowed last night so I may get to do my first barefoot snow run if it sticks until I can get out for a run.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts