Becoming a tech whore

It seems silly to have bought a shoe that I may only use a couple times a year, after snowfall, but over time I guess it will be worth it. But I'm hoping to move to the Front Range in Colorado in a year or two, so I guess I can always use these shoes for their intended trail purpose then, unless I stay purist and stick to trails I can run barefoot.

Sounds like an ideal time and place to use min. shoes….I love trail running BF but I can definitely see where some trails are either not doable, or not very fun bf. If you can use your vivos to tackle more challenging trails….sounds like awesome. Wish I had some trials around here that required min. shoes….lol

Reactions: Bare Lee
Sounds like an ideal time and place to use min. shoes….I love trail running BF but I can definitely see where some trails are either not doable, or not very fun bf. If you can use your vivos to tackle more challenging trails….sounds like awesome. Wish I had some trials around here that required min. shoes….lol
Yah, for me it's an open question whether I would run shod on trails that were too gnarly for bare feet. So far my only compromise has been with temps, and even there I've been willing to push the limits of comfort a bit in order to stay bare. Only time will tell, but it seems to me that if a trail is too tough for bare feet, then it can't be much fun to run over shod either. I ran over pure gravel last summer, and it was tough going, but doable, and I assume if I did it enough I would adapt. As long as you can mix it up with smoother surfaces where you can get the need for (relative) speed taken care of, I think I could deal with the slower paces that tough surfaces require. I'm not really a performance guy, more of a purist I guess. But theory often changes in practice. So far my trail practice has been limited, like yours, to the tame terrain of the Upper Midwest.

BTW, Sid et al., picked up these items on sale today. The tech whoredom continues unabated, but I think this will do it for now:
http://www.rei.com/product/835243/rei-winterflyte-pants-mens
What could be better than saving half off? Saving 51% is what!
http://www.rei.com/product/779938/mountain-hardwear-wicked-lite-double-t-shirt-mens
I got two of the t-shirts, one blue, one yellow, one large, one extra large. I figured they'll work well as easy-to-rinse base layers for winter running too.

Reactions: Sid
Dang you Lee...you are tempting me with those pants....I'm sure I would look much less like a clown if I were to wear those....

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Dang you Lee...you are tempting me with those pants....I'm sure I would look much less like a clown if I were to wear those....
Yah, now I got trail shoes for those couple of days every year when I run right after a snow storm, and pants that block 25-mph winds for that one day when I go out in single digits and the windchill is minus 20. I kind of wish I had never started this thread, I feel like a real clown.

Reactions: NickW
Yah, for me it's an open question whether I would run shod on trails that were too gnarly for bare feet. So far my only compromise has been with temps, and even there I've been willing to push the limits of comfort a bit in order to stay bare. Only time will tell, but it seems to me that if a trail is too tough for bare feet, then it can't be much fun to run over shod either. I ran over pure gravel last summer, and it was tough going, but doable, and I assume if I did it enough I would adapt. As long as you can mix it up with smoother surfaces where you can get the need for (relative) speed taken care of, I think I could deal with the slower paces that tough surfaces require. I'm not really a performance guy, more of a purist I guess. But theory often changes in practice. So far my trail practice has been limited, like yours, to the tame terrain of the Upper Midwest.

BTW, Sid et al., picked up these items on sale today. The tech whoredom continues unabated, but I think this will do it for now:
http://www.rei.com/product/835243/rei-winterflyte-pants-mens
What could be better than saving half off? Saving 51% is what!
http://www.rei.com/product/779938/mountain-hardwear-wicked-lite-double-t-shirt-mens
I got two of the t-shirts, one blue, one yellow, one large, one extra large. I figured they'll work well as easy-to-rinse base layers for winter running too.
I would be all over those pants if I actually needed more than the one pair of winter pants that I already have. Thankfully I do not need anymore because here in OR we just don't get cold enough for me to have to wear pants consecutive days. I am getting these though to add to my techy whoredome: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JayBird...ones/2264036.p?id=1218316933151&skuId=2264036
I can't stand wired headphones when I am working out in the gym so I am really looking forward to the wireless pair.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
I would be all over those pants if I actually needed more than the one pair of winter pants that I already have. Thankfully I do not need anymore because here in OR we just don't get cold enough for me to have to wear pants consecutive days. I am getting these though to add to my techy whoredome: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JayBird - Freedom Bluetooth Earbud Headphones/2264036.p?id=1218316933151&skuId=2264036
I can't stand wired headphones when I am working out in the gym so I am really looking forward to the wireless pair.
I got the Sony NWZ-W252 MP3 Walkman Player a few years ago and have been pretty happy with it. It would be nice to have some kind of bass boost, but I guess there's only so much you can cram into a tiny space.
$%28KGrHqR,%21loFCK8j6yitBQnNLTidY%21%7E%7E60_1.JPG

Reactions: Zetti and NickW
I got the Sony NWZ-W252 MP3 Walkman Player a few years ago and have been pretty happy with it. It would be nice to have some kind of bass boost, but I guess there's only so much you can cram into a tiny space.
Nice! I played with my new headphones last night and they seem to have pretty decent sound, but they don't have a bass boost either. Mine have a whole ton of ear tips and also a hook and loop thing for over the ear or one of these numerous sized other wing things that hook into your ear to secure it in place. I think they will be very secure while I am at the gym and I shouldn't have any worries about them falling out. It will be so nice to not have to try to string a wire under my shirt so that it doesn't get in the way.

I'm taking this tech whore thing to a whole new level. As it's been a bit chilly for Florida, I put on a sweatshirt, then a hoodie. But really, nothing compares to that PI jacket, which is lightweight and warm. I feel dorky wearing it around the house, but wearing what I already have is still cheaper than buying more clothes, even if it's a tech fleece sweater during the REI clearance sale. And I did go ahead and buy that extra jacket. Actually, now that I think about it, it's got a lifetime warranty, so I might as well put it to good use. Plus if I wear it around the house and then run in it sometime, I won't feel bad about washing it after one run. Oh yeah, I've already been wearing the PI pants as sweatpants, and the Patagonia boxers, and the North Face tech shirt. Woohoo, I'm ready to go for a run at any time!

But really, nothing compares to that PI jacket, which is lightweight and warm.

You'll be unhappy to hear this Sid, but I'm returning the PI jacket. The XL was a little tight around the shoulders, which wasn't a deal-breaker, but REI offerred me a $100 gift card, so I'm going to replace the PI jacket with three items on clearance (30-50% off) at REI:

REI Winterflyte Jacket - Men's
BLACK/TITANIUM XL
REI Item # 8352390008 1 $48.93

REI Airflyte Mock Top - Men's
COAL/BLACK XL
REI Item # 8173840016 1 $33.93

Brooks Rogue Runner III Shorts - Men's
ANTHRACITE PLAID L
REI Item # 8107970011 1 $32.93

$0.00
Shipping:

$0.00
Tax:

$115.79
Total:

Basically, I'll get three items for one and have almost $120 returned back into my pocket.

Got the pants. They make me look like I'm in a high school band uniform or something. I'd prefer clown; I'm returning them.
You gotta go with what works for you. Sounds like some great deals!
The other gear I ordered on the 2nd--jacket, base-layer, shorts--arrived yesterday and I took the first two out for a test run, literally. They did well, so I guess I'm set. I really like the huge pockets of the jacket--good for putting in my Moc3s as back-ups, although with this frostnip, it may be a while before I can avail myself of that function. The PI jacket seemed warmer and more wind resistant, but the REI jacket fits me a bit better. The PI jacket was a bit tight around the shoulders. The REI jacket almost looks like a regular wind breaker too, so I can use it casually once in a while.

Reactions: Sid
The REI jacket almost looks like a regular wind breaker too, so I can use it casually once in a while.

You mean you aren't SUPPOSED to wear your workout clothes as casual wear? Well crap.........

I have a habit of wearing my running jacket and sweatshirts to work on Fridays. I got a lot of looks for wearing my neon yellow zip up running jacket last week though so I'm having to lay off for a couple of weeks...

*le sigh* If only more of my co-workers were runners.

PS: I'm still blaming this on all of you and this thread

We finally hit mid-80's and humid here in MI today after one of the coldest spring/summer seasons in history and fellow MI chapterite Zetti is talking tights and jackets?
Guess we have a few weeks to go but it's closing in fast.
Last winter I ran outside a bit in lightweight tight stretch blue jeans for the first time. I felt maybe a few tenths of a % more masculine than running barefoot in public in lycra/polypro tights.

Reactions: migangelo

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test