Becoming a tech whore

I'm wondering what the differences are between "running" tights and non-padded "cycling" tights. Those look pretty much the same as the Storm Skins ones I got recently, yet mine were only $20. :)

Here's what I ended up getting for tights, just now, minus the jock-sock: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLOXJE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I like PI. They make good products and have a lifetime warranty. I've found their tights to be hit or miss in terms of sizing. I prefer pants over tights and bought a pair of tapered, form fitting running pants at their outlet store. They work well. I'll see if I can find the model name when I get home.
Hey, it's a bit premature, but re: cotton and nipples
A thin tech shirt can help, but why take the chance? I use Bodyglide. It looks like a deodorent stick and is sold at sporting goods stores. Though in colder weather, sometimes I can stay cool enough that it's just a light sweat if any at all. That would be my ideal.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I like PI. They make good products and have a lifetime warranty. I've found their tights to be hit or miss in terms of sizing. I prefer pants over tights and bought a pair of tapered, form fitting running pants at their outlet store. They work well. I'll see if I can find the model name when I get home.
Thanks.
I won't be wearing this on the outside. They'll be like a glorified, moisture-wicking pair of long underwear. Thanks to customer reviewers, I got help with the sizing. Someone with the same build got the XL.

A thin tech shirt can help, but why take the chance? I use Bodyglide. It looks like a deodorent stick and is sold at sporting goods stores. Though in colder weather, sometimes I can stay cool enough that it's just a light sweat if any at all. That would be my ideal.
Cool. Yah, I was only thinking of using this in summer. I doubt I'd sweat enough in the winter, and I may not have worked up to longer runs anyway before the winter's out. I'll check out the bodyglide.

Reactions: Sid
Lee, I'm not sure the exact material of my shirts, but they are mostly all the cheap Champion tech shirts from Target, real smooth and lightweight and I've never had a problem with chaffed nipples in them. I also have a Mountain Hardwear shirt that is my favorite, but I think it's expensive (to a poor college student that is). My daughter got that one for me for my birthday or Christmas or something a couple years ago from REI I think. It's super uber lightweight.

Reactions: Sid
The one I have is the PI Tokyo Tight (although it's really more of a pant). Unfortunately, I think they've been discontinued. Hopefully, those tights work out well for you.

I don't know if you're wearing sweatpants over the tights. You probably know that anything you put over the tights should be moisture-wicking as well.

As far as chafing goes, I didn't get chafing until about 8mi on a hot, humid day, where my shirt wasn't drying fast enough. Upgrading to a PI tech shirt helped. Though I got some chafing recently on a longer run and decided to go with the Bodyglide. It's about the price of a deodorant stick, so why take the chance?

As a sweat factory, I like tech fabrics. Instead of tights for the rare really cold days I use these runnign pants I got at REI. They are tighter than sweats, but a little loose than tights. I like them a lot for running, but rarely need them as I run hot and can get by with shorts down to the mid 30's.

link to pants (which often go on sale): http://www.rei.com/product/817410/rei-airflyte-running-pants-mens

Wool sock sold separately.

I'm thinkin' 'bout a pair of leather Lederhosen. Will they work in the cold? Feet still seem to get blue fast, but the chics dig it.

Isn't "Leather Laderhosen" redundant? Sort of like saying "Beef Steak" :D

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Hey, it's a bit premature, but re: cotton and nipples, I did notice this on the few long runs I've gone on. What were some of the solutions again? Bandaids? What's the best fabric?

I've used body glide, bandaids (I use the small round ones so I don't rip out the 17 renegade pubic hairs that surround each nipple) and shirts with a smooth-finish fabric. In the end, I'd say bandaids would work best because they provide a physical barrier.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Well, on today's run I had the base layer and the fleece insulating layer, then a hoodie on top. It was an improvement over my pure cotton set-up for the torso but I still got wet. Hard to say if the extra expense--some 120 dollars I think--is worth it. In any case, my $30 high tech gloves from REI were completely worthless, and I'll be returning them. My hands were cold for the first mile, and it wasn't even that cold out, just 26 F / -3.3 C. After the first mile my heater kicked in and so I took off the gloves and just ran bare, so as not to dirty the gloves before returning them. Hopefully the thermal tights I ordered will be more effective, but I'm beginning to think all this stuff is something of a scam, or perhaps better suited to hiking than running.

Thanks for the pants recs though, Nick and Lomad. Nonetheless, I'll probably pass; my sweats are perfectly adequate for most runs. Today, for example, I just had on one layer of sweat pants and felt fine. For the really cold runs, hopefully the thermal tights and sweats will be an improvement over my long underwear and sweats combo.

Reactions: NickW and Sid
I run in my pajamas a good chunk of the time. Otherwise it is clothes I got from my mom and sister. I just got a sweatshirt from Marshalls that is uber nice. (Avalanche brand).

I love marshals I have got some sweet deals from there! Got both my tights there and my jacket actually.

I was concerned too about the tights... err dont like my package showing... wearing some compression shorts under them helps. No big deal if its just a base layer though. I don't have any running experience yet much under 20ºF but hope maybe this winter will get a little colder. I have just a regular pair of tights which worked well around freezing and I little cooler, and my other pair is lined with a fleece like lining that allows it to go down a little more, but I'm not sure how cold I can take really. I know with my unlined one even though I feel fine while running when I come inside I notice my skin is really cold!

I dont think you really need all the high end fancy stuff for winter, but it does help if your dressed so much you sweat - atleast the base layer being poly material to wick the moisture away. If its just a quick run sweat pants are fine by me. But I'll say this, I've never run in the winter until recently and with as gloomy as it was last year, having the fancy clothing helped mentally. Might be all in my head, thinking I'm all high tech and cool, but hey whatever it takes for motivation to get out there right?

I don't know if you're wearing sweatpants over the tights. You probably know that anything you put over the tights should be moisture-wicking as well.
Actually no, I didn't know that. I'm kind of a dumbass when it comes to tech stuff. That's why I'm asking you all for opinions.

As far as chafing goes, I didn't get chafing until about 8mi on a hot, humid day, where my shirt wasn't drying fast enough. Upgrading to a PI tech shirt helped. Though I got some chafing recently on a longer run and decided to go with the Bodyglide. It's about the price of a deodorant stick, so why take the chance?
That was my experience too. It only happened on plus-eight-mile runs, and only when it was hot out. So my asking about it is a bit premature, but bodyglide might be a good option. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of tech shirts or do laundry after each run in the summer. I don't know if bandaids would work unless I shaved, and I don't know if I'm that committed.

I dont think you really need all the high end fancy stuff for winter, but it does help if your dressed so much you sweat - atleast the base layer being poly material to wick the moisture away. If its just a quick run sweat pants are fine by me. But I'll say this, I've never run in the winter until recently and with as gloomy as it was last year, having the fancy clothing helped mentally. Might be all in my head, thinking I'm all high tech and cool, but hey whatever it takes for motivation to get out there right?
Yah, I should reiterate that I'm only really talking about really cold runs, like single digit Fahrenheit and colder. And it's not really a problem of getting cold but wet and stinky and having to do laundry for the whole get-up each time I run. If I could keep it to once a week that'd be great.

I read something last week about a woman who rode a century bike ride in -32° C weather. http://www.machka.net/brevet/Coldest_Century.htm Check it out, and note Tip #1 where she says her outer layers got all frosty and frozen, but inner tech layer(s) stayed relatively dry. That means the tech stuff really did it's job.

I was fine, actually overdressed but I was subscribing to the theory that a hot core would help the bare feet, and everything was fairly moist when I got back, and I had only been out an hour or so.
Sound theory, but keeping your core hot enough to keep your feet warm, while not sweating much, is walking a razor's edge. I'm thinking doable with the proper gear, though.
Yah, I should reiterate that I'm only really talking about really cold runs, like single digit Fahrenheit and colder. And it's not really a problem of getting cold but wet and stinky and having to do laundry for the whole get-up each time I run. If I could keep it to once a week that'd be great.
If you go tech, then the everything should be wicking including the jacket. I'll unzip during the run to prevent overheating and massive sweating, but haven't been able to prevent a light sweat. I started with one of everything to try it out, but eventually got 3-4 of each (except the jacket), so I wouldn't be doing laundry every day. Pricey, but it's an investment, and they do have the lifetime warranty. I haven't regretted it. I prefer to be comfortable and running is hard enough without having to worry about equipment failure. It helped that I stocked up during the summer closeouts. Got some stuff at half price.
Well, on today's run I had the base layer and the fleece insulating layer, then a hoodie on top. It was an improvement over my pure cotton set-up for the torso but I still got wet. Hard to say if the extra expense--some 120 dollars I think--is worth it.
If your hoodie isn't wicking, then that probably trapped all of the moisture. $120 might get you a decent jacket on sale.$30 for baselayer. $40 for pants. $20 for gloves. Yeah, it adds up!
In any case, my $30 high tech gloves from REI were completely worthless, and I'll be returning them. My hands were cold for the first mile, and it wasn't even that cold out, just 26 F / -3.3 C. After the first mile my heater kicked in and so I took off the gloves and just ran bare, so as not to dirty the gloves before returning them.
I have these gloves and they work fine. Though, if you're getting your core hot enough that you don't need shoes, then it stands to reason that you might not need gloves either.
Hopefully the thermal tights I ordered will be more effective, but I'm beginning to think all this stuff is something of a scam, or perhaps better suited to hiking than running.
Don't give up. As with any high tech equipment, one needs to develop familiarity and proficiency using them. It took several tries to figure out what works for me. I'd jot down the temp, humidity, wind speed, shirt or long sleeve baselayer, gloves or no gloves, insulating layer, pants, shorts. Took about 6 runs to get it right. You're a scientist, do some more trials!

I totally agree with Sid. I have 4 Rab Aeon base layers and a Montane Featherlite Marathon jacket and Mountain Fury tights. All wicking, you will still sweat but dry very quickly unlike with cotton attire.
Most technical kit is synthetic with the exception of say bamboo, it's the weave and coatings that make them technical. Some are odor resistant others water repellant and wind resistant.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
Sound theory, but keeping your core hot enough to keep your feet warm, while not sweating much, is walking a razor's edge. I'm thinking doable with the proper gear, though.

Sid, I appreciate the time you took to respond, but I wonder how much of your experience in Florida translates to mine here in Minnesota, unless you're going on previous experience when you lived elsewhere further north.

If you go tech, then the everything should be wicking including the jacket.

Thanks, I didn't realize that--like I said, I'm a real dumbass/neophyte when it comes to this stuff.

I'll unzip during the run to prevent overheating and massive sweating, but haven't been able to prevent a light sweat. I started with one of everything to try it out, but eventually got 3-4 of each (except the jacket), so I wouldn't be doing laundry every day. Pricey, but it's an investment, and they do have the lifetime warranty. I haven't regretted it. I prefer to be comfortable and running is hard enough without having to worry about equipment failure. It helped that I stocked up during the summer closeouts. Got some stuff at half price.

If your hoodie isn't wicking, then that probably trapped all of the moisture. $120 might get you a decent jacket on sale.$30 for baselayer. $40 for pants. $20 for gloves. Yeah, it adds up!

OK, I got the base layer, and the insulating layer fleece jacket, but I'm going to need one more layer for the coldest days, and it needs to fit over the other two layers. Would you still recommend that jacket or is there something else better? I need to return those gloves to REI so I could pick up the outer layer before my next run tomorrow, when the high is supposed to be around 20 F / -6 C , and give it a test run before it gets really cold. I agree this is an investment, and wouldn't really be worth it for just this winter, when runs will never exceed 8-9 miles. But hopefully by next winter my weekly long run will be up in the 15+ miles range, so having something that keeps me dry over several hours will be nice.

I have these gloves and they work fine. Though, if you're getting your core hot enough that you don't need shoes, then it stands to reason that you might not need gloves either.

Well, technically I probably do need shoes, but I'm a barefoot runner dammit, and I prefer the feet somewhat numb over shod. But in any case, I didn't need gloves yesterday, it's true, but the fact that my hands were cold before my metabolism kicked in doesn't bode well for the really cold days when I will need gloves throughout the run. So for my purposes, the power stretch gloves are useless. I need something a lot more thermal and moisture-wicking. I'll see what REI has today.

Don't give up. As with any high tech equipment, one needs to develop familiarity and proficiency using them. It took several tries to figure out what works for me. I'd jot down the temp, humidity, wind speed, shirt or long sleeve baselayer, gloves or no gloves, insulating layer, pants, shorts. Took about 6 runs to get it right. You're a scientist, do some more trials!

Thanks! But like I said, all I'm really concerned with are the really cold, cold days coming my way in a week or two. So far I haven't really needed any of this stuff. Once I get the gear for the coldest days figured out, then it'll simply be a matter of subtraction to figure out my kit for moderate sub-freezing temps. And then once it's above freezing, I'm pretty much home-free--cotton or tech, it won't really matter--although I may be looking into nipple-friendly tech shirts for warmer weather, but may just adopt the shirtless approach at that point.

Lee, for the hands I use wind proof mitts. Buy them oversize so that when it really gets cold you can wear wear light weight gloves inside them. That layering thing for the hands works well for for right down to -40C. I also like my smartwool for layering, I have 3 weights and wear them with a Polar Tec jacket. The Polar Tec jacket in temps above -10C makes me sweat, with the proper base layer you can get away with less. When I start out on my runs feeling like I should have used one more layer than I am good to go, as you will warm up nicely after a mile or 2. Go for shorter runs to try different layers to find what works, nothing worse than being wet after a couple of miles, you never seem to get warm when that happens. On a side note, the Polar Tec jackets do not breathe as well as people think. In temps colder than -30C, I often have frost buildup on the inside of my jacket. I do not feel uncomfortable running when this happens due to the layers I have on. Enjoy the winter.

Sid, I appreciate the time you took to respond, but I wonder how much of your experience in Florida translates to mine here in Minnesota, unless you're going on previous experience when you lived elsewhere further north.
Would you still recommend that jacket or is there something else better?
I lived in Pittsburgh for 5 years before FL. Though, I bought my gear so that I wouldn't have any excuses not to run during the 1-2 freezes that we get each year in FL.

I haven't tried it, but this jacket has a hood and is a bit heavier than what I have. I tried the pants, but they were too thick. (As you've noted, I'm in FL now. I wouldn't trade it for the world, since I can run everyday!) You're probably just going to have to try them out and see. I'll say that jackets designed specifically for running are key for proper movement and ventilation.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7