Winter Challenge - 2013

Sending TJ the revised write up ... although she's had surgery and may be awhile before she can post it on the Home Page.

Here is the link for the stamp:
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff487/BarefootYOW/BRS Winter Challenge/294870b8-c359-412b-903c-e5f485f69dd6_zps742316f9.png

To add the stamp:
  1. sign into BRS
  2. select your profile in upper right corner
  3. select Signature
  4. edit signature
  5. add an image using the above link
  6. save changes
I must confess to being confused. Do I need to sign up with that site and upload the image somewhere? I have tried adding it as a media url and embedding, but neither is working. I apologize for being a problem child...

Reactions: dharmadan
Time to start up the annual Winter Challenge.

Everyone is welcome to participate, whether you run 1 mile or 500. Come and challenge yourself and run in the snow. The challenge runs from Oct 1 2013 to April 1 2014.

Rules
1. Runs must be BAREFOOT
2. Temperature with windchill must be less than 42°F (5.1°C)
3. Any run of 1/3 mile (o.5 km) can be counted
4. Add your total distance and runs in the appropriate temperature range on the following spreadsheet:

Wind Chill calculator:
http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=0F42F92D-1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atdzmo_MEqTKdHlWb3Vza0FORWJOYURvRGR0UWc1SFE&usp=sharing

Hi Yow,

Will you be doing this again for 2014?

Should I hold off doing a Toes on Roads Competition for October and we do this instead over the Winter months?

The next Toes on Roads was going to be an 'every-man-or-woman-for-themselves' stampede anyway, so it would basically be the same format as the Winter Challenge, but without the barefoot and temperature rules?

Let me know your plans.

Cheers,

Paul

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Hi Yow,

Will you be doing this again for 2014?

Should I hold off doing a Toes on Roads Competition for October and we do this instead over the Winter months?

The next Toes on Roads was going to be an 'every-man-or-woman-for-themselves' stampede anyway, so it would basically be the same format as the Winter Challenge, but without the barefoot and temperature rules?

Let me know your plans.

Cheers,

Paul

Yes Paul, I was going to setup another Winter Challenge. It would start Oct 1st. We can work out the details. I do like keeping it limited to barefoot and temperature restrictions ... but open to suggestions

OK. I will hold the Toes on Roads Stampede over until May next year. I don't think you should change your rules. You didn't intend this challenge to be a competition between people did you? It is more an individual challenge thing to push people's own limits right? And to see how many Winter miles we do collectively? Let me know if I can help you with anything. I will announce at the end of this month that there will be no Toes on Roads from Oct to Apr in favour of the Winter Challenge. Thanks Yow

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
We already have subfreezing temperatures here during the night! So if it keeps it up, we'll definitely have the temperatures needed in October for the winter challenge :p It's pretty cold and wet for my feet when leaving home for work! (I carry my shoes to the car, drive barefoot and THEN put them on) It's been raining a lot lately.... For me, barefoot running season is almost over :(

Reactions: Bare Lee
I've just been looking for the average temperature with wind chill in the UK.

I can't seem to find any records of what it has been historically (just minimum and maximum air temperature.) It is referred to on the meteorological sites as the 'feels like' temperature.

Anyway, I am sure there will be many days in the UK when that is less than 5.1 degrees C :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090