Winter Challenge - 2013

Last 7 days!

5391 km so far. 6 runners have 300+ km. Amazed to see Bare Lee on the verge of exceeding 700 km

This is our last week of the challenge. Be sure to get all your mileage logged by 23:59 EDT on April 1st.
How are the toes YOW? Are you able to run in shoes yet?

I got extremely mild frost nip on my left index toe on Saturday's mid-morning run, but it cleared up quickly.

In these last seven days, all but Thursday forecast for high bareability. I need 64 kilometers to make 750, but 800 is well out of reach. I'll lift in the morning to take advantage of afternoon highs for running.

We got some snow after yesterday morning's run, but it melted by the time I run-commuted home, except for two longish patches in the shadow. Those nearly did me in!

I just PR'd for coldest run again. It was 8F/-13C but -15F/-26.3C windchill. I didn't really mind the wind until I got to the bridge that crosses over a big railroad yard. The snow patches that nearly did me in yesterday afternoon were diminished and frozen, so not as bad.

I think I've retaken the lead in sub-freezing mileage, for the time being at least . . .

I'm going to try for one more cold-weather half-marathon this weekend.

In any case, it's such a pleasure to be running bare on bone-dry surfaces again!

How are the toes YOW? Are you able to run in shoes yet?

I got extremely mild frost nip on my left index toe on Saturday's mid-morning run, but it cleared up quickly.

In these last seven days, all but Thursday forecast for high bareability. I need 64 kilometers to make 750, but 800 is well out of reach. I'll lift in the morning to take advantage of afternoon highs for running.

We got some snow after yesterday morning's run, but it melted by the time I run-commuted home, except for two longish patches in the shadow. Those nearly did me in!

I just PR'd for coldest run again. It was 8F/-13C but -15F/-26.3C windchill. I didn't really mind the wind until I got to the bridge that crosses over a big railroad yard. The snow patches that nearly did me in yesterday afternoon were diminished and frozen, so not as bad.

I think I've retaken the lead in sub-freezing mileage, for the time being at least . . .

I'm going to try for one more cold-weather half-marathon this weekend.

In any case, it's such a pleasure to be running bare on bone-dry surfaces again!

Toes are fine ... ends up being second degree frostbite. That means there are patches of calcified darkened (dead) skin that should molt away after a month. I'm still running 50-60 km a week, but having to do it in water shoes ($8 Walmart specials). I simply grease up my toes with Vaseline and off I go.

I've been really impressed on how you and Yvonne have been able to pack on the miles. You two account for 20% of the total groups mileage. Your PR for cold is now colder than mine (-25°C)

I'm looking forward to above freezing temps so I can start getting in more barefoot miles. Temps this weekend are forecast to be above 5°C. Next wish will be for the street sweepers to clean up all the sand and gravel.

Toes are fine ... ends up being second degree frostbite. That means there are patches of calcified darkened (dead) skin that should molt away after a month. I'm still running 50-60 km a week, but having to do it in water shoes ($8 Walmart specials). I simply grease up my toes with Vaseline and off I go.

I've been really impressed on how you and Yvonne have been able to pack on the miles. You two account for 20% of the total groups mileage. Your PR for cold is now colder than mine (-25°C)

I'm looking forward to above freezing temps so I can start getting in more barefoot miles. Temps this weekend are forecast to be above 5°C. Next wish will be for the street sweepers to clean up all the sand and gravel.
Wow, second degree, that musta hurt like a fothermucker. How long before the burning sensation dissipated? I'm not sure if there's a difference between first degree frostbite and frostnip, but in my case last year, I was in serious pain the first two hours afterwards, but still had to take a painkiller later in order to get to sleep. This year, I've gotten better about recognizing the signs, and the longest I've felt serious pain has been an hour or so. Strangely, last Saturday's mild frostnip kinda had a delayed reaction. Usually, the pain starts as soon as the feet warm up, but this time it was an hour or two later, and only on one toe.

I think Yvonne's been the most impressive, because she was able to run bare fairly consistently throughout the winter, and it seems like she can handle moisture pretty well. Most of my mileage has been on dry surfaces, and either at the beginning and the end of winter, or during my California trip in January.

My PR was a windchill PR, which isn't quite the same as a pure temperature PR. Still, it's amazing how much more doable those colder temps are when the surfaces are bone-dry. Now that my calluses are reforming, my tolerances are back to where they were earlier. This morning's run-commute at 11F felt positively balmy. I had to take off my gloves and balaclava, cuz there was no wind.

I thought you guys in Ottawa had more or less the same temps as we do. We've been dipping above and below freezing for a while now. We had a cold weekend, but today it's supposed to be up around 40F, and we should have above-freezing highs from here on out. Like you said, all we need now is for the street sweepers to mobilize!

Rain/snow is forecast for tomorrow, so I'll try to get in a longer run later today.

Wow, second degree, that musta hurt like a fothermucker. How long before the burning sensation dissipated? I'm not sure if there's a difference between first degree frostbite and frostnip, but in my case last year, I was in serious pain the first two hours afterwards, but still had to take a painkiller later in order to get to sleep. This year, I've gotten better about recognizing the signs, and the longest I've felt serious pain has been an hour or so. Strangely, last Saturday's mild frostnip kinda had a delayed reaction. Usually, the pain starts as soon as the feet warm up, but this time it was an hour or two later, and only on one toe.

I think Yvonne's been the most impressive, because she was able to run bare fairly consistently throughout the winter, and it seems like she can handle moisture pretty well. Most of my mileage has been on dry surfaces, and either at the beginning and the end of winter, or during my California trip in January.

My PR was a windchill PR, which isn't quite the same as a pure temperature PR. Still, it's amazing how much more doable those colder temps are when the surfaces are bone-dry. Now that my calluses are reforming, my tolerances are back to where they were earlier. This morning's run-commute at 11F felt positively balmy. I had to take off my gloves and balaclava, cuz there was no wind.

I thought you guys in Ottawa had more or less the same temps as we do. We've been dipping above and below freezing for a while now. We had a cold weekend, but today it's supposed to be up around 40F, and we should have above-freezing highs from here on out. Like you said, all we need now is for the street sweepers to mobilize!

Rain/snow is forecast for tomorrow, so I'll try to get in a longer run later today.

My pain lasted a good 12 hours. Well, maybe not good. I think you're right about the temps. The big difference this winter has been the precip. It seems like we'd get a little bit of snow every couple days. The city would dump on the salt and wet/salty roads are just not good for barefoot. I think the other issue is that I lost my cold tolerance due to a lack of running bare outside. A run every other week or so is just not enough to adapt to cold. Oh well ... lesson learned. I'm hoping that next week will be the start of barefoot commute. 12 km a day should help set me up for a marathon in May.

Oh, I think that Yvonne is actually part mountain lion. To be able to run consistently throughout this winter, she must have huge fury paws. (she'll probably want to swat me for that comment :p )

My pain lasted a good 12 hours. Well, maybe not good. I think you're right about the temps. The big difference this winter has been the precip. It seems like we'd get a little bit of snow every couple days. The city would dump on the salt and wet/salty roads are just not good for barefoot. I think the other issue is that I lost my cold tolerance due to a lack of running bare outside. A run every other week or so is just not enough to adapt to cold. Oh well ... lesson learned. I'm hoping that next week will be the start of barefoot commute. 12 km a day should help set me up for a marathon in May.

Oh, I think that Yvonne is actually part mountain lion. To be able to run consistently throughout this winter, she must have huge fury paws. (she'll probably want to swat me for that comment :p )
Yeah, December through February were really unbearably unbareable for the most part. Either too cold, too snowy, or both. Last winter the streets were relatively clear a lot more, if I recall correctly. When it's dry, my tolerances are not too bad.

I don't know how some folks can handle moisture so well. I got a little better at compacted snow this winter, but fresh snow remains an impossibility for me. Yesterday and this morning it's been in the upper 30s, but mostly dry, so walking through the occasional puddle or slush isn't a problem, but below freezing, forget about it. It doesn't take much to put me over the threshold, after which it's almost impossible for me to recover in time to prevent frost nip.

After yesterday's run, I walked down to my daughter's school. I only stopped briefly at home to pick up my son to come with me, so I counted it all as a single run/walk. That's OK, right?

Another 2 km run yesterday at -10C. Still cold , but the roads are clear and the sun is warming them up nicely. I do my km's in a 1/2 mile loop around my neighborhood so as soon as my toes tell it's time to head in I'm never more then 3 minutes from a warm safe haven. Also starting my STG walks late afternoon as well, I guess I should add those in as well.

Reactions: Bare Lee
2 km STG this afternoon with -11C wind-chill on solar heated pavement. This morning my STG ended at .5 km as my feet told me that pushing any more in the -21C with wind-chill would mean frostbite or at best frost nip. Put on the KIGO's which I had with me as I kind of figured I was going to wimp out. I do enjoy 2 run days though, good way to build mileage without killing yourself.

2 km STG this afternoon with -11C wind-chill on solar heated pavement. This morning my STG ended at .5 km as my feet told me that pushing any more in the -21C with wind-chill would mean frostbite or at best frost nip. Put on the KIGO's which I had with me as I kind of figured I was going to wimp out. I do enjoy 2 run days though, good way to build mileage without killing yourself.
Yah, I've been doing mild doubles for a while now. Either I go on a run in the morning and then commute one mile home, or I commute one mile in the morning, and then go on a run on my way home. That's 5-6 times a week. Running twice a day, even minimally, seems to really help keep the legs from stiffening up. Not sure how much these one-mile run-commutes contribute to running fitness though. On the really cold days, when conditions are still bareable (i.e., cold but dry, or cool and wet), I run tempo pace, so that must be good. Lately I've been doing some walking in the middle of some of my longer runs, and I like it, but I feel guilty afterwards, like it wasn't a real 'run.' I do get off somewhat, however, on being able to walk barefooted in the cold. I love the sensation almost as much as cold weather running.

This is our last week of the challenge. Be sure to get all your mileage logged by 23:59 EDT on April 1st.
Hey, one more question YOW. We have until the end of the 31st to get our runs in, but until the end of the 1st to report them, right?

Hey, one more question YOW. We have until the end of the 31st to get our runs in, but until the end of the 1st to report them, right?

All runs including April 1st. count towards your totals. April 1st is the last day of the challenge. I will be locking down the spreadsheet at 23;59 EDT April 1

@Yvonne -- you added a huge amount of miles. You and Lee are the first to break the 600 km (370+ miles) level. I'm quite impressed by the two of you.

Really?! :joyful: Sweet! I've just been doing my typical routine, I don't let winter stop me from running. I gave in and resorted to VFF in past years though - this is my first winter barefoot, so I decided I would record my mileage for the Winter Challenge when I heard about it.

:inpain:I unfortunately know your pain, having suffered frostbite to several toe-tips in late December when I ran 3+ miles in fresh snow at -4°F/-20°C. Blackened hard skin sloughed off in layers over the next several weeks. I learned to stick closer to home in fresh snow conditions so if I notice early indications of problems, I don't have miles to run to get home!

Wow, two of us hold 20% of the group's mileage?! I haven't run any more than I typically do....Just have had qualifying temps, and the gusto to do it barefoot.

Temps above 5°C?! Toasty! lol! I wish I could look forward to street sweepers cleaning up the sand/gravel, but they don't do that out here in the country. I have to rely on rain to wash away the salt chunks and vehicle use to eventually take care the sand/gravel on the asphalt and chipseal roads.

Well shucks :shy:, thanks! I did run consistently, every other day as usual, and always barefoot. I can handle cold and wet pretty well - I've found I can run on packed snow ok, and wet roads don't seem to bother me, but fresh snow requires shorter distance (learned that the hard way). I have to admit I am quite happy with my adaptation to winter barefoot running!

Well shucks :shy:, thanks! I did run consistently, every other day as usual, and always barefoot. I can handle cold and wet pretty well - I've found I can run on packed snow ok, and wet roads don't seem to bother me, but fresh snow requires shorter distance (learned that the hard way). I have to admit I am quite happy with my adaptation to winter barefoot running!

We should have had you in our challenge years ago. If Wim Hof is the iceman, you've got to be the icewoman! Most of my winter mileage has always been paved road running, where I take advantage of radiant heat.

Today was the 4th day in a row with above freezing temps. With the 7 days forecast showing above freezing temps for daytime highs, it looks like Spring has arrived.

My darkened skin peeled away on the weekend. Now it is time to gradually expose the new skin to ground contact again.

Reactions: Yvonne and Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090