Winter barefoot running

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
With winter upon us I figure it's about time to get the winter running thread started for all the new barefoot runners who will be wanting to know how to deal with the cold weather.

My personal experience with winter running comes from just 1 full Delaware winter. Delaware is normally considered mild as far as winter goes, but we do have our share of harsh weather. Last winter we had a total snow fall of something like 1.5-2 feet. Temps probably average around low 30's through low mid 50's.

I found that as long as I timed my runs for early evening after the sun had been on the roads for the day there was no problem with the cold, once you get warmed up you'll be fine, I ran in temps down to 25 deg with no problem. Surprisingly, I found that even if there were wet spots on the roads I didn't have problems, remember running in cold, wet shoes? Painful. Your feet are waterproof so a little dampness isn't a problem.

As far as ice and snow goes, if the roads are covered I wear VFF's (twice last year) but as long as there are more dry spots then wet spots barefoot is fine. I was able to get over some small distances (20-50 yards) of ice covered roads. It's does hurt a little initially, but as soon as you're off the ice your feet warm right back up.

What are your winter barefoot experiences or questions?

Haven't had the chance yet. I

Haven't had the chance yet. I live in Georgia, so I will be lucky if it even snows. I think if I just keep running through the change of seasons I can get used to the cold asphalt.

It was a little chilly the other day and the first few steps were cold, but after a mile I was sweating as usual.

The only thing I can think of is to check the bottoms of the feet more often than in the snow/cold. This topic reminds me of Jason's post http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2010/03/18/barefoot-runners-are-stupid/

I'm getting pretty excited

I'm getting pretty excited to engage in my first barefoot winter!!

I'm looking forward to the

I'm looking forward to the cold too. It lessens the amount of pain the neuromas cause me.

I wish I had something that

I wish I had something that would take that away from you :-(.

Thank you.  Me too. 

Thank you. Me too. :cry:

I think Nate has persuaded me

I think Nate has persuaded me to forgoe shoes this winter, along with the fact that I'm too lazy to buy shoes, and I don't want to spend the money. I live in New Mexico after all, the only "winter weather" we really get is wind, since the snow on the roads all melts by the end of the day. I don't know what I'm going to do for school though..... even if I can deal with the temperature, wet flip flops are just annoying, and I'll be dealing with more snow at school, while I don't have the extra heat from running. (The stupid way these things work out...) Maybe I can just take my flip flops off when I go outside? Haha, I think that would probably confuse people, trying to keep my shoes dry instead of my feet.

I started in Jan last year

I started in Jan last year in Maryland where we had 4 huge snow storms. I found good times to go and never was so frozen It hurt. I think with easing into the winter your feet will adapt (as I am hoping mine will). I've had enough of burning hot feet from the summer and I'm looking forward to pulling on a wooly cap and setting out!

It gets a little colder up

It gets a little colder up here north of the 49, I hope to be running barefoot into December, and expect to be wearing my VFF Flow's from Jan to end of Feb where it can drop to -35 degrees quite easily around these parts . Last winter I ran in water socks so the VFF's should work ok. My wife wore muckaluks most of the winter for her runs including a couple of half marathons, which got her some interesting looks and comments.

One comment that I liked from

One comment that I liked from the Christopher McDougall talk that I went to on Wednesday was his take on winter barefoot running. He said that maybe we need to just accept the fact that we as humans can't go out an conquer the world regardless of the circumstances. In Minnesota especially, there are going to be days when running outside is stupid, much less running barefoot. So he suggested NOT RUNNING (shocking...I know)!

I completely agree with his comment. There's nothing wrong with staying indoors for a work out, or winding down one's running and doing something else. I never hear much talk about concepts like periodization in running forums. But the concept of "winding down", resting, or doing another type of fitness activity during various times of the year is an important concept in areas like strength training. I had been taking whole seasons off when I did a lot of bodybuilding in college and law school, and considered it completely normal.

Personally, I plan to not run much more than once or twice a week (probably not outside all that much) and use the winter to ramp up my Crossfit and get some good strength training in. I enjoy weight lifting, but it's hard to be cooped up in a gym when it's so nice outside. I doubt I'll have that issue when it's -10 with 5 feet of snow.

SP, will you use the

SP, will you use the dreadmill at the gym?

So you'll use the elliptical

So you'll use the elliptical then?

Gads.  I had a couple of

Gads. I had a couple of those. Sold the first one, lost $200; sold the last one, lost $200. I think I've learned my lesson. I won't be getting one of those again. My hubby will see to that.

Not to get totally off

Not to get totally off topic... and hijack yet another thread... but...

Does anyone cross county ski?

I mean I see comments from runners that bike, swim, and find other ways to cross train... but as soon as the mention of snow comes up - everyone seems baffled at how to figure out how to run on/in the stuff.

Just curious.

S. Pimp.

Snow?  What's that?

Snow? What's that?

I'm not sure how barefoot

I'm not sure how barefoot accustomed feet would handle ski boots... Otherwise a good idea. I wonder if theres a way to snow-shoe barefoot?

It gets a little colder here

It gets a little colder here north of the 62. Just had to brag. I wonder if I am the furthest north, BFR.

swedishpimple wrote:Not to

swedishpimple said:
Not to get totally off topic... and hijack yet another thread... but...

Does anyone cross county ski?

I mean I see comments from runners that bike, swim, and find other ways to cross train... but as soon as the mention of snow comes up - everyone seems baffled at how to figure out how to run on/in the stuff.

Just curious.

S. Pimp.

Or run in snowshoes, or just walk in snowshoes? Hell if I was still up in the mountains my ass would be cross country skiing and/or backcountry riding daily. Probably not barefoot. Maybe I would stick a high grit sand paper at the bottom of my boots.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7