Why I run

Charlz9mm

Barefooters
Nov 19, 2010
Why run? It is my meditation. It clears my mind. It toughens and strengthens my body. It is spiritual, an ancient primal dance that transcends philosophy. It challenges me each time. Sometimes one mile is harder than five. Sometimes I run past the strain and fatigue and I can glide and float almost effortlessly. Sometimes it hurts and teaches me hard lessons about overdoing it. It dictates what I eat and when to rest. Running is human propulsion. I can run for an hour or more if I need to. I run because they (the doctors) told me I never could again, they were wrong. I will run as long as I can. If I can run there is still hope and life in me.

Well said, I could not agree

Well said, I could not agree more!!

very nice. i'll add my

very nice. i'll add my reasons when i'm sober!
tongue.png
beer.png

Why have sex?  Well, yes,

Why have sex? Well, yes, running takes a bit longer, but the quality it contributes to my life is right up there. Chz9mm, you nailed it. I didn't get the bad news from a doctor - my knees pretty much told me directly. BFR has saved me from losing out, though.

You've got that in one!

You've got that in one!

Maintaining all aspects of health; physical, mental and spiritual.

(plus - not being independently wealthy - I have to get to and from work!) :lol:

I used to listen to music all

I used to listen to music all the time. I don't anymore.

Now I use the time for meditation.

Being a Reiki Master Teacher, I spend the first few miles using certain symbols mantras.Then I begin to methodically use the names of all family members and Mother Earth over again. It is very relaxing, I am sending the Reiki energy out to them and it really makes the miles have more meaning.

Intention is everything. My intention is for health and well being in accordance with the wishes of the Universe.

Namaste,

Peanut

Dang...where's the LIKE

Dang...where's the LIKE button? I want to LIKE THIS!!! Lol.

Seriously, it's such a relief just to get some down time. I'm pretty introverted so sometimes a run will really give me some self-bonding time before going out in a crowd. It's a calm before the storm. I ask myself every important and not important question on a silent run. Every idea gets worked out, it seems.

It's also wonderful to chat with bored construction workers and hear little kids yell, "DAD! That lady has no shoes on!!"

Love running without music. Love running with music too. Depends on my mood. Music is like pushing through, ignoring the run, ignoring the scenery, just getting it over with. Rocking out mindlessly. Less often I need that distraction and just need the quiet.

Mary, Yesterday I was doing

Mary,

Yesterday I was doing my running at the indoor track ( streets are still to dangerous with snow on the shoulders and ice. More snow coming tonight).

Anyway, there was a group of guys playing football on the artificial turf while I was running on the asphalt track around it. Some of these guys played practice for the Jets last summer when they were here for training!

At one point I saw about 5 of them pointing at me and heard, "Hey, man, that lady is running with no shoes on! WOW!".

I felt so good, Gosh this Barefoot Gramma managed to impress a bunch of the big boys!

LOL

Peanut

Mary and Peanut, You make me

Mary and Peanut, You make me feel like a low life! You have such wonderful, spiritual takes on life and running. I'm trolling the gutter. Even when I'm running my mind is more likely to be communing with the squirrel I'm passing than on any big questions, let alone the generative force of the universe. I think I'm much more "....don't forget to breathe...oh oh - nasty pebbles...should I blow my nose now or just let it run a little more...breathing!...how do the feet sound?...

Good for you, though!

Joseph, I'm more like you.

Joseph, I'm more like you. Thinking too much about... everything. My goal is a nice meditative state, but in the meantime it's nice to let my mind wander when I need to fill in the gaps between thinking about form, footfalls, ouch my calves, yeouch a pebble, things are bouncing and that hurts a little, oh what a pretty cloud, lift my knees, "turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese" (cadence lol)...

I run because I can. I want to run more, and I will someday. I run because it's quiet outside, and I can feel the hot sun and cool breeze on my face. I run because it feels good, even when it hurts like hell.

Joseph and TS - That IS your

Joseph and TS -

That IS your mantra. LIFE!!!!! I can't wait to be able to run outside again so I can commune with the squirrels again!!!

And the sky and watch the clouds. It will be another month probably with all the snow piled up on the sides of our roads.

You are soooooo blessed to be outdoors. When I get back outside I will be still sening Reiki but it will be a lot more fun.

Peace and Namaste

Peanut

i  love to run becuase my dog

i love to run becuase my dog has a good time. he loves it. walking is boring to dogs and even though he's little, 12 lb, he can out run me when he wants. he plays with me and others i come across. he chases squirrels which i of course encourage. i don't think he'll catch one, again. women think he's cute, even though he won't let anyone touch him.

i also love sliding in the mud. it's a cheap form of skiing. i love that i can run. couldn't do it as a kid because of asthma. i like seeing how far and how fast i've gotten over time. i don't keep a log except for what i can remember because running is just for me and Mury.

mike

Peanut wrote:I used to

Peanut said:
I used to listen to music all the time. I don't anymore.

Now I use the time for meditation.

Being a Reiki Master Teacher, I spend the first few miles using certain symbols mantras.Then I begin to methodically use the names of all family members and Mother Earth over again. It is very relaxing, I am sending the Reiki energy out to them and it really makes the miles have more meaning.

Intention is everything. My intention is for health and well being in accordance with the wishes of the Universe.

Namaste,

Peanut

I am also a Reiki master. I agree with your view. It is about life, when to breathe, sore muscles, nose dripping, etc. It is about not looking or grasping for "spiritual" ideals but simply being. Sometimes I start out running angry or happy. Either way it all turns into just running.

Nasmaste to ya'll too

tsfairy wrote:Joseph, I'm

tsfairy said:
Joseph, I'm more like you. Thinking too much about... everything. My goal is a nice meditative state, but in the meantime it's nice to let my mind wander when I need to fill in the gaps between thinking about form, footfalls, ouch my calves, yeouch a pebble, things are bouncing and that hurts a little, oh what a pretty cloud, lift my knees, "turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese" (cadence lol)...

I run because I can. I want to run more, and I will someday. I run because it's quiet outside, and I can feel the hot sun and cool breeze on my face. I run because it feels good, even when it hurts like hell.

+1 to all of that!

I don't think there's been a day where I was in a bad mood after finishing a run. Plus I sleep better, eat better, and just all-around feel better when I can get out at least three or four times a week.

Today I'm thinking I run to

Today I'm thinking I run to experience more runs like yesterday's. It was just about perfect. I started out thinking I could squeeze in a quick 3 miler before the skies opened. Then I got to the turn around and thought "just a little farther!" and then did that again and found myself at the halfway point in my favourite 5.5 mile loop. So around the loop I came, splashing (gently) through 50 foot wide poodles and soaking up the 59 degree air. I felt like I could run all afternoon. Not even the 1/4 mile long 9% grade hill slowed me down. Feet, calves, knees, belly, back and mind were all playing together nicely. It was my first run of the season in shorts and without a tech top. I felt liberated!

JosephTree wrote:Today I'm

JosephTree said:
Today I'm thinking I run to experience more runs like yesterday's. It was just about perfect. I started out thinking I could squeeze in a quick 3 miler before the skies opened. Then I got to the turn around and thought "just a little farther!" and then did that again and found myself at the halfway point in my favourite 5.5 mile loop. So around the loop I came, splashing (gently) through 50 foot wide poodles and soaking up the 59 degree air. I felt like I could run all afternoon. Not even the 1/4 mile long 9% grade hill slowed me down. Feet, calves, knees, belly, back and mind were all playing together nicely. It was my first run of the season in shorts and without a tech top. I felt liberated!

Especially like the '50 foot wide poodles' part, damn you got some big dogs in you neck of the woods, hillarious.
wink_smile.gif

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7