Why are nipples less shocking than toes?

I was running in Valley Forge Nat'l Park yesterday BF and shirtless, in black lycra tights. I was carefree and happy but felt a twinge of self awareness when I passed 4 Mennonite women in full cotton coverage pushing their bikes up my favourite long hill. Being hopelessly social I called to them "What a glorious day for a bike ride, sisters!" as I passed. I didn't have time to apologise for missing the church lesson on modesty.

I think I was much more conscious of nipples (my own) than of toes, though.

On the same stretch of road I've experienced the kid sticking his head out the car window to stare at BF me, just like your pic in the blog, though.

BFINAZ, yes, both.

There are bike and horse trails to run and there's even a connection to the Appalachian Trail, about 60 miles away. One can choose to go on paved paths, roads or rough terrain. There are also hookups to the Schuylkill River Trail system that can take you to Philly or out into the country for 50 or more miles. VFNP has the best hills and trails close by, though. One spot has a 120' elevation change in about 100 yards lateral change - all switchbacks, roots and rocks.

My home is about 2.5 miles away, and I run here to meet up with my running club peeps on some weekend mornings.

Because people LIKE nipples....duh! I mean, look at all the ways you can accessorize nipples! I've never seen a toe piercing, or lacy underthings that accent them "just so." Just about everybody enjoys nipples. Toes are more of a "niche market."

OK, then, add "Bleeding" to nipples and toes...NOW what's shocking?

[made a friend gag the first time I told her about bleeding nipples (this after I came back from a long run wearing a white shirt)....I sort of figured everyone knew about them and how they came about....I guess women's sports bra's prevent that from happening....live and learn, I reckon]

And YOU men still can't learn YOUR lessons and put on a bra! OR do THIS!

NoBloodyNipplesHere.jpg

Poor Peggy!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
[quote="RunningPirate, post: 71969, member: 4242"[I'd like to point out that I took a lesson from the Rated R thread and did not repost the pic, to save us all the pain}
very civil for a pirate.[/quote]

Well...one must show decorum...even Pirates...

Am I doing something wrong or right? I have never experienced the sore or bloody nipple problem from running. Now back when I was a kid and waterskied, those life vests would rub them raw.

You're doing something right. Bloody nipples occur when your shirt rubs back and forth against them while running...over time, they chafe enough to break the skin. I've learned to avoid shirts that have a rougher texture, and for longer runs, I'll either put on bandaids or Body Glide...

....because there's nothing like hitting the shower and soaping up exposed, sensitive flesh....

You're doing something right. Bloody nipples occur when your shirt rubs back and forth against them while running...over time, they chafe enough to break the skin. I've learned to avoid shirts that have a rougher texture, and for longer runs, I'll either put on bandaids or Body Glide...

....because there's nothing like hitting the shower and soaping up exposed, sensitive flesh....

I can hear you in my head saying that as if you are looking forward to it!

I can hear you in my head saying that as if you are looking forward to it!

Caught! Redhanded! :oops: But you guys are on the wrong forum posting. You should be reading "Why are nipples less shocking than toes when they have battery clamps attached to them" I think that one's posted in the Ultrarunning Forum.

Speaking of sensitive flesh and showering, I had an open blister from a wet half marathon in January. I didn't even know it until I was showering after. Intense pain, I almost passed out. Lesson learned: don't push the pace in wet conditions on pavement unless you are used to it. Or, if you get an open blister, don't shower for a very long time.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7