Who runs when they're sick?

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
Just curious. I've always been a do or die runner. If it's my day to run, then I do. No matter what the weather is, or if I'm sick, or if we have plans. I always find a way. But I'm sitting here on the couch with snotty kleenex all around me, and I'm realizing tomorrow is my day. I'm not feeling very motivated yet!

I will run when my body lets

I will run when my body lets me. I try not to be lazy, but when I am hurt or ill, I let the laziness out.

I usually just say eh I'll

I usually just say eh I'll just sweat out the sickness. Sometimes I'll switch to something less aerobically challenging such as ellipticals. Normally works fine, except my last chest cold made it pretty miserable. I think next time I get one of those I'm not doing anything more intense than walking.

I have only been sick twice

I have only been sick twice since I started running and both times I could not make myself go so I skipped the run. The first I had a fever of 102.4 (turned out to be strep throat) the other time was the stomach flu and I NEEDED to be close to the bathroom...there was no way I could have gone running that day.

I guess use your best judgement....and feel better soon!

I don't think I've ever

I don't think I've ever really been sick when I was running regularly. I only seem to get actually sick when I'm out of shape. I'll still get a "cold" every once in a while, really I just get all congested and don't feel very good for a week or so, but running actually helps with the congestion, and makes me feel like crap. However, I'm sure if I was ever puking my guts up sick I would stay in though. I'll run congested, but if its any kind of fever, or queazy-ness to the point where I don't even feel comfortable standing up, I would definitely not run.

When im getting my 8-10 hours

When im getting my 8-10 hours of sleep, and exercising. I rarely get sick. And when I do the symptoms are generally so mild it doesn't really keep me off my feet. But if im not sleeping enough, or out of shape(which usually go hand in hand)... that is an entirely different story.

Listen to the bod.  I think

Listen to the bod. I think we can all remember of those days when toughing it out would just make the sick last longer or advance it to something even more rotten.

I had a bad infection in my

I had a bad infection in my toe last week and didn't run with that - too many resistant bacteria floating around to take chances. This week I have a cold and it's been mixed. I ran 5 less miles than normal last week, including a hard race This week I should have run today, but I felt like I was going to fall asleep while running on Sunday, so I'm giving myself another day. I'll be upset if I have to let it go much further, though, because I am doing a half soon and I need those long runs.

It really depends.  I've

It really depends. I've found that I usually feel drastically better after a run if I'm sick with a head cold, so I know now to go out.

One is not supposed to run with a fever, and generally, if I have one, I feel so bad I don't want to run anyway.

I'll try to lighten up on intensity. I've been horribly sick this past week, but managed to get 20 miles in anyway. I was climbing the walls and couldn't stay in.

I can't even remember the

I can't even remember the last time I actually had a fever. The chills and body aches would certainly stop me from running, but a cold every once in a great while is really all I ever have. Running with a bad cough can be difficult, but it's do-able. I was just curious how everyone will deal with the inevitable winter sicknesses!

Weirdly enough, I really LOVE

Weirdly enough, I really LOVE running with a snotty nose...3 miles will clear up my sinuses better than anything. It's the only time during a minor cold when I'll be feeling great (probably because the body is distracted from fighting the disease, & working on the run instead.) But of course it can't last and the moment I end my run I'll be all blocked up again. Boooo.

But of course I only run when it's a very minor illness.

The best thing is I only get minor colds usually so I run through them almost every time. Sore throats keep me on the couch, though, and stomach flu, and regular flu. Colds demand some time outside in the fresh air, especially if the air is cold it feels so good.

But yeah, keep those runs short!

I used to enjoy a run when I

I used to enjoy a run when I was feeling down. Haven't been sick in almost a year now. Hoping to survive flu season #2

I was sick only once last

I was sick only once last cold and flu season.

Running is the best

Running is the best medicine. However, that said, I do think it's good to scale back on the intensity and keep the runs fairly easy when sick.

Last year, I think I was in the early stages of a flu, when I ran a moderately hard 5K. Bad idea. I was achy for a few days afterwards, with a modest fever.

I just had a pleasant 4.5

I just had a pleasant 4.5 mile run, despite the amazing wind! (I'm sick BTW) I'm tired, but I'm glad I went. Nose was clear the whole way and now I can't breathe again!

For me, when I get a cold, I

For me, when I get a cold, I take about 5 days off. I've tried running through them and it makes a normal week long cold into a two week illness. First run back, I do half a workout. Next run I'm back to normal.

I have to be pretty deathly

I have to be pretty deathly ill not to run.. At the first sign of illness I hit the trails/road to run it out.. Amazingly it usually works, especially with a cold or fever. I had spring and fall allergies until I discovered running as well. Great fix for congestion.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts