Where did this come from? Its not a religion....

She said "It (sic) you break

She said "It (sic) you break a bone, the treatment is to put you into a cast."

My feet ain't broke, thank you! They're stonger and more supple and agile, even, than when I started this barefoot business that she's nearly weeping about.

I understand how in general

I understand how in general the practice of podiatry is based on treating shoe wearers through continued full time use of shoes, but her rant is so filled with inaccuracies that if I were on the Arizona board of podiatry I would require her to spend 10 hours of continuing education under the tutalage of a good doctor in order to retain her license to practice.

Here here!

Here here!

The human foot is a work of

The human foot is a work of art and a masterpiece of engineering.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Most people reading that quote think first of Leo, but many of us BFRunners that got our forum start on that "other" site will probably think of our very own barefoot runner of the week, Barefoot Dama.For her to use those words of wisdom as a part of her sig line over there made perfect sense, because not only did she grow up barefoot, she also has run very fast marathons barefoot and accomplished incredible treadmill barefoot feats.I followed the link to the podiatrist's practice website, and almost lost it when I saw her logo.How can someone who thinks the human foot is so inadequate for daily use employ that very same quote as the tagline for her practice name?If "The Man" were around today to witness this I'm sure he would say something like "Dr., you know nothing of my work. For you to quote me as part of your promotional material is a total sham. How you got a license to practice anything is beyond my comprehension"Problem is, that kind of thing happens only in Woody Allen's dreams.Here's the link to her practice, witness for yourselves: http://www.pinnaclepeakpodiatry.com/Pinnacle_Peak_Podiatry/WELCOME.html

Obviously podiatry is a big

Obviously podiatry is a big business and money earner and you know how people get when they feel their livelyhood is threatened. I would like to see the science behind their recommendations, but I don't think you will see any because it doesn't exist.

I gave up listening to doctors 'advice' around 30 years ago because I realised that they don't really know that much except for what the drugs the pharma companies are pushing.

Ok call me cynical, but I can almost guarentee if you go and see a podiatrist about a foot problem you will not walk away with just some advice on exercises to do to help your feet, you will end up with the $400 orthotics and a lame excuse about how you have feet that require intervention.

How lucky I was to discover the truth. I just completed an Australia Day 16km run along roads and stony trails, my longest run in 10 years hey and guess what my feet survived.

http://minimalistrunning.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B10%3A30&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B10%3A30&max-results=17

Today I put in a nice 14.5km beach/road run.

My next race will be the Henley Beach bash on 4th March so I need to sharpen up my speed for that one.

Neil

Neil_D wrote:...I gave up

Neil_D said:
...I gave up listening to doctors 'advice' around 30 years ago because I realised that they don't really know that much except for what the drugs the pharma companies are pushing.

Despite my belief that most podiatrists don't understand that feet need to be free in order to be healthy, I do believe that much of modern medical practice and the associated surgical intervention and meds are indeed a Godsend.

Let's be careful not to extend the podiatrist's belief in the false principles of orthotics and shoe wearing to apply to other physician's expertice in real medical treatment modalities.

Not all doctors are quacks, and not all of podiatry is as bogus as it's tendency to believe in support & orthotics.

Agree with all the above.I

Agree with all the above.

I find this whole 'debate' very frustrating. It reminds me very much of the attitude of baby formula milk companies about 20 years ago.....they had the money for marketing and spreading mis-information for their own gain to the detriment of the obviously natural breast feeding. The advertising regulations are now much stricter on what can be said...natural feeding must be mentioned as preferable,etc so people get a more informed choice based on fact.

This is all runners(me and a couple of friends!) want....not about breastfeeding but you get the idea!

If you want to run in shoes thats fine but not to be told you must...maybe Nike and Asics adverts on TV should also show barefoot running,with their shoes a part of the whole picture....may happen one day!

I would like to see this

I would like to see this "doctor's" feet and compare them to these guys' feet:

167547_1901859789052_1318420766_2340525_532175_n.jpg

This was shared on our Facebook page:

Check out their feet, generations of barefoot. An undated handout picture released January 31, 2011 by Survival International of what they say are uncontacted Indians seen from a Brazilian government observation aircraft in the Brazilian Amazon forest, near the border with Peru.

Notice how their feet are very (normally) wide at the forefoot. They have that natural triangular/tripod shape, untouched and deformed by any kind of shoe.

(Just a thought... Toe box is a good term for shoes, especially considering feet being kept in coffins.)

Barefoot TJ wrote:I would

Barefoot TJ said:
I would like to see this "doctor's" feet .....

I wouldn't. After viewing THIS shoe review site and reading the one and only comment

(by our "favorite" podiatrist of course)

I'm not sure I could resist the posting of any photo of hers to the gross picture thread!

Maybe we'd be surprised, but as far as I can see she is recommending shoes that comes close to the ones we post in the shocking footwear thread!

Seriously, follow this link and tell me she does'nt need some re-training!

http://www.shoeblog.com/blog/ysl-cuffed-wedge-ankle-boots/

Then again her taste seems to

Then again her taste seems to border on the expensive side.....maybe that's why she feels the need to protect the masses from barefoot life....kind of like securing her future shopping trips......

OMG!  I hope she's not

OMG! I hope she's not prescribing 3" stilettos to her patients, though after seeing those pictures and reading her endorsement, makes me thinks she is. Yikes! In addition to having a barefoot-friendly podiatrists' map, we need a "I hate feet" podiatrists' map.

Not sure how strong our legal

Not sure how strong our legal department is, but if we could get away with a "Podiatrists to avoid" map I think we should.

I'm only now recovering from the withdrawal symptoms of the last BFR outage, I'm not sure I could survive a permanent shut-down resulting from a liabel suit.

Ha ha ha ha!  Heavy sigh,

Ha ha ha ha! Heavy sigh, heavy sigh.

OMFG- even before I went

OMFG- even before I went bare- those shoes would have caused me pain and were the antithesis of even what the podiatrist would have recommended.. though he wanted me in a rigid plastic arch support and I knew better.. I've worn supports WHEN I wore shoes (I have always preferred barefeet) since I was a child, but they were always leather and cork padding... never the hard plastic this guy was suggesting.. I got one pair of those years ago from another podiatrist and they HURT. I saw this one because of a bone spur and he dealt with that well though... And I did have a podiatrist as a child who was terrific- I am still in touch with him, and he deals only with kids, but when I mentioned in an email (he's a family friend) that I was running barefoot he cheered me on.. I am NOT going to suggest his name here as he doesn't see anyone over 18 and most of his clientelle are under 13... so not enough overlap with the site...

He is a podiatrist or an

He is a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon?

I'm just guessing that if he limited his practice to kids when you were young that he is not a podiatrist.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon