what stretches & drills does everyone do?

I know there are different schools of thought (on just about everything) but I'm just curious why this approach made more sense to you, as opposed to the contrary......adding mileage to get to an 8-minute pace ?
Hawkbilly, I am going back to this same approach as BL. For me, trying to add mileage and do low hr runs just made me slower and slower and slower. I went from a 12:30 m/m pace at avg 146 hr to 17 m/m at avg 146 hr. This was over a three month span where all I did was low hr activity. Before I started the low hr stuff I was able to run a 5k in 25:30. I think that's an avg 8:50 something for pace. After three months of the low hr training I couldn't keep up a 10 m/m pace for even a mile. This low hr stuff may work for some, but for me it did the opposite of what it was supposed to. Anyhow, I have now dropped to just one mile runs at a faster pace than what is now normal for me. I am going to eventually add back in some slow longer runs, but I will not do strictly slow long runs again. I will always have a little spice in my running life I think. I don't believe it is good for one to strictly do one or the other all the time. The body needs variety (at least mine does). It is an experiment of one though so everyone needs to figure out what works for themselves.

Reactions: Bare Lee
"I guess the simplest answer is that paleo man wouldn't have gotten into this state in the first place!" Isn't that the truth!

I used to have a very explicit work out schedule, but I have found it easier to integrate the important stuff throughout the day.

I get up and run about every other day -trail running mostly. I rid myself of specific trigger points before I run. I do some non-static stretching and some trigger point work about mid-way through my run.

Throughout each day, whenever I am sitting (movies, meetings, etc.), I work out all the other millions of trigger points, primarily in my ankles and feet -but I spend a lot of time on my pecs as well. I spent the last three years learning how to do trigger point therapy and I can do it almost intutively now. It takes a lot of practice to be able to do it effectively -otherwise you just end up with knotted muscles still, and bruised skin to go along with it.

I do butt muscle exercises throughout the day. Standing in line at the grocery store, at work, wherever.

Hawkbilly, I am going back to this same approach as BL. For me, trying to add mileage and do low hr runs just made me slower and slower and slower. I went from a 12:30 m/m pace at avg 146 hr to 17 m/m at avg 146 hr. This was over a three month span where all I did was low hr activity. Before I started the low hr stuff I was able to run a 5k in 25:30. I think that's an avg 8:50 something for pace. After three months of the low hr training I couldn't keep up a 10 m/m pace for even a mile. This low hr stuff may work for some, but for me it did the opposite of what it was supposed to. Anyhow, I have now dropped to just one mile runs at a faster pace than what is now normal for me. I am going to eventually add back in some slow longer runs, but I will not do strictly slow long runs again. I will always have a little spice in my running life I think. I don't believe it is good for one to strictly do one or the other all the time. The body needs variety (at least mine does). It is an experiment of one though so everyone needs to figure out what works for themselves.

Interesting. I've always gone about it that way too, but always ended up injured. Of course, I'm far from the poster boy for.....well, anything actually....but certainly my experience isn't one I'd recommend anyone follow. I'm sloooowwwwlllyy adding distance, and not worrying a lick about speed....for now anyway. I've decided whatever speed joy shows up at, is the speed I'll run at on that day. I'm not training for anything, I'm just trying to stay healthy, and stay running.

"I've decided whatever speed joy shows up at, is the speed I'll run at that day." Dude, that is SO awesome!

Interesting. I've always gone about it that way too, but always ended up injured. Of course, I'm far from the poster boy for.....well, anything actually....but certainly my experience isn't one I'd recommend anyone follow. I'm sloooowwwwlllyy adding distance, and not worrying a lick about speed....for now anyway. I've decided whatever speed joy shows up at, is the speed I'll run at on that day. I'm not training for anything, I'm just trying to stay healthy, and stay running.
Great Post. I am in the same position right now. I am "training" for a marathon, but I am not concerned about pace at all.

My daily routine? As a farmer, I have don't have one. Every day is different and I just run when I can. I do recommend rolling. It seems to loosen out the tight spots. I try to roll before a run, then I will warm up by walking and then start slowly running. After a while I stop to stretch (lengthen), but never to the point of hurting and then do a few deep squats. Continue running and then after the run, roll more. This is not always possible, because I notice something on my run that need attention right away.

Ice baths? I think they help with muscle soreness, I enjoy some cold water after a long effort. Had a nice soak in a stream after today's run. But filling a tub with water, I just don't have the time.

I know there are different schools of thought (on just about everything) but I'm just curious why this approach made more sense to you, as opposed to the contrary......adding mileage to get to an 8-minute pace ?
Hawkbilly, There are several reasons for why I've adopted this approach. It isn't really based on a school of thought, it's just that a few months ago it occurred to me that I didn't have to follow the standard recreational runner's model of always running the same steady pace and slowly increasing distance over time. That's what I had done in the past, and it had served me well, but an urge to try something different surged so I looked into some elite running training protocols and came up with the hills/fartlek/steady weekly routine. As for the pace-over-distance choice, I made it because:
1.) I seem to have better form the faster I run.
2.) I don't enjoy running supra-10mm paces--I feel like I'm plodding.
3.) I want to avoid repetitive stress injuries, so need to have a lot of variety in my running, and also am hypothesizing that it's better (for me) to run with greater impact forces over fewer steps than repeating lesser impact forces over more steps.
4.) I enjoy having a lot of variety in my running.
5.) I'm capping my runs/workouts at an hour max, so if I run a 10mm pace, six miles is my max distance. If I can run an 8mm pace, then I'll bump up the distance to 7 and a half miles; 7mm pace, then I can do 8 and a half miles, etc. Right now I'm almost able to sustain a 9:30mm pace for an hour. Once I'm comfortable with that I'll work on taking off 10 seconds per mile, then another 10 seconds, and so on. Plus, if you run an hour or less, you never have to worry about carrying water.
6.) I think the Maff method is designed for people who want to improve their performance over longer distances. I just want a good workout, and faster paces seem to provide that. I can sustain a 10mm or 10:30 pace for a fairly long time, but I don't get the same feeling of tired satisfaction at the end of it like I do at slightly faster paces, or after my fartlek or hills runs.
7.) I have more of a sprinter's body than a long distance body (I played safety in football, outfield in baseball, and did best in the 220, 440, and 880 in track the one year I went out), and enjoy having decent upper body strength just as much as having good running legs. If I ever were to become interested in racing, I would probably do 5k or 10k races, not marathons.

if only to distract BFW and BFG from the ice baths stuff... I now have a silly plastic box on top of my desk to put my laptop on. I only managed about 3 hours standing yesterday... in roughly 1 hour blocks... hoping for a bit more today.

Given that I've just started walking to work, and now this standing desk stuff, I reckon it would be prudent for me to limit myself to 1 BF run a week until my feet get used to it. I did 0.6 miles barefoot on monday, and my feet haven't really felt up to another run since.

I've decided whatever speed joy shows up at, is the speed I'll run at on that day. I'm not training for anything, I'm just trying to stay healthy, and stay running.
I like that phrase, 'speed joy.' It's kind of like "fartlek" - which means 'speed play' in Swedish. It's a great approach I think, because for those of us who are just in this for fitness, staying motivated and having fun trumps all performance/training goals.

if only to distract BFW and BFG from the ice baths stuff... I now have a silly plastic box on top of my desk to put my laptop on. I only managed about 3 hours standing yesterday... in roughly 1 hour blocks... hoping for a bit more today.

Given that I've just started walking to work, and now this standing desk stuff, I reckon it would be prudent for me to limit myself to 1 BF run a week until my feet get used to it. I did 0.6 miles barefoot on monday, and my feet haven't really felt up to another run since.

Fun to try new things, eh? Yep, remember that for things to become habit,gradual change and all that. With the standing up, even just reminding yourself to take a break from sitting ever half hour or so will help. And once you've been standing a while, choosing a good sit feels very satisfying.

Hawkbilly, There are several reasons for why I've adopted this approach. It isn't really based on a school of thought, it's just that a few months ago it occur to me that I didn't have to follow the standard recreational runner's model of always running a steady pace and slowly increasing distance over time. That's what I had done in the past, and it had served me well, but an urge to try something different surged so I looked into some elite running training protocols and came up with the hills/fartlek/steady weekly routine. As for the pace versus distance choice, I made it because:
3.) I want to avoid repetitive stress injuries, so want to have a lot of variety in my running, and also am hypothesizing that it's better (for me) to run with greater impact forces over fewer steps than repeating lesser impact forces over more steps.
5.) I'm capping my runs/workouts at an hour max, so if I run a 10mm pace, six miles is my max distance. If I can run an 8mm pace, then I'll bump up the distance to 7 and a half miles; 7mm pace, then I can do 8 and a half miles, etc. Right now I'm almost able to sustain a 9:30mm pace for an hour. Once I'm comfortable with that I'll work on taking off 10 seconds per mile, then another 10 seconds, and so on. Plus, if you run an hour or less, you never have to worry about carrying water.
6.) I think the Maff method is designed for people who want to improve their performance over longer distances. I just want a good workout, and faster paces seem to provide that. I can sustain a 10mm or 10:30 pace for a fairly long time, but I don't get the same feeling of tired satisfaction at the end of it like I do at slightly faster paces, or after my fartlek or hills runs.
7.) I have more of a sprinter's body than a long distance body (I played safety in football, outfield in baseball, and did best in the 220, 440, and 880 in track the one year I went out), and enjoy having decent upper body strength just as much as having good running legs. If I ever were to become interested in racing, I would probably do 5k or 10k races, not marathons.

I agree with BL and Hawkbilly on form and faster pace. I also found that my form improved with a faster pace. I now run without HR monitor and try to run as fast and varied as my body allows. Some days slower, some days faster. I try to run with 80-90% effort at a pace that I can sustain for the distance that I am running at that time. I also try to finish the last part of my run with sprints. Also in keeping with the stretching side of this post, I do not stretch before my runs, and only do light stretching at end of run as my cool down period.

I like that phrase, 'speed joy.' It's kind of like "fartlek" - which means 'speed play' in Swedish.

nice:) In German, it's "Fahrtenspiel" - "Speed Games", more or less - playing with the speed :barefoot:

nice:) In German, it's "Fahrtenspiel" - "Speed Games", more or less - playing with the speed :barefoot:
Ya, it's a lot of fun. On Monday I parked by a bridge on the Mississippi River, after I had finished my banking business nearby, and ran the first mile and a half or so at a 9mm pace, then walked over a bridge downstream from the first bridge, and then on the other side of the river went back in the other direction doing 7-7:30mm paces for as long as I could, then walked until I recovered, then did it again, until I came back to the first bridge, and ran over it at a 9mm pace until I got to my car. It was pretty damn hot that morning (88F/31C) so I didn't try any all-out sprints at the end, but I felt very satisfied at the end. And the nice thing about fartleks and hills is that I appreciate my long(ish) steady runs all the more--I come to them fresher, and seem to get into an even deeper meditative zone when they're broken up by other types of running during the week.

Now that you are standing at work, ditch your shoes when no one is looking -or wear men's slippers, cuz they look like shoes. You need to make sure your laptop monitor is head height to avoid neck strain.

Now that you are standing at work, ditch your shoes when no one is looking -or wear men's slippers, cuz they look like shoes. You need to make sure your laptop monitor is head height to avoid neck strain.

Don't worry, the shoes off thing is a given, whether standing or sitting...

On the subject of the op... I had my 2nd yoga sesh of the week tonight, god it feels good! I've missed yoga for the last 3 weeks.

Ice baths... last year trying to push my running and having chronic pains I tried this. Well not ice but I did fill the tub up with cold water to my waist. I think it did help me, but the tub was a lot of fuss and honestly I wouldnt wish that experience on my worse enemy! lol I switched to using strait cold shower on my legs, but I turned it up once I did my whole body. I havent had much soreness or pain or anything so I havent tried that, though perhaps it helps recovery regardless.

I remember the first time I heard about ice bath a few years ago was watching a special on Brock Lesnar. I'm not into wrestling but most of my inlaws are... this isnt the exact one but it does show him using an ice bath at about 1:35

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Hawkbilly, There are several reasons for why I've adopted this approach. It isn't really based on a school of thought, it's just that a few months ago it occurred to me that I didn't have to follow the standard recreational runner's model of always running the same steady pace and slowly increasing distance over time. That's what I had done in the past, and it had served me well, but an urge to try something different surged so I looked into some elite running training protocols and came up with the hills/fartlek/steady weekly routine. As for the pace-over-distance choice, I made it because:
3.) I want to avoid repetitive stress injuries, so need to have a lot of variety in my running, and also am hypothesizing that it's better (for me) to run with greater impact forces over fewer steps than repeating lesser impact forces over more steps.

I appreciate the response, thanks.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon