Weekly Mileage 35th week of 2012

2.1 mi. I was going to add a mile to Tuesday's 3 and do 4 today, but I needed to come home right away. Just as well, the interruption helps me build up slowly. I'm counting today as my maiden recovery run, will try four tomorrow. Still a bit of an ache in my left foot that almost completely disappears when I massage my lower leg with the stick, and stretch out my feet, so I don't think I'm putting anything at risk. Seems like it's been tight muscles/tendons all along.
Yesterday I walked around the Minnesota State Fair with my Luna sandals. The left foot pain flared up, and then I switched to my cheap Target deck shoes and felt immediate relief. Strange.

1/2 mile on Sunday and Tuesday. What surfaces are you all running on?

"...I massage my lower leg with the stick..." What is the stick?

"...I massage my lower leg with the stick..." What is the stick?
Hey Shaky, I was referring to this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P7LY1W/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I also got this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063MRFA2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Because about a month ago I tried jumping from the 5-to-6-mile range to the 8-to-10-mile range, and got TOFP (top-of-the-foot-pain--http://gobarefooting.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/injury-top-of-the-foot-pain/), along with ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome).

I've found massaging both front and back of my lower leg, especially the muscle on the outer side of my shin, as well as stretching out my feet and toes, has really helped relieve the ache on the top of my feet.

As for surfaces, I live near the epicenter of nuclear attack, in the middle of the Twin Cities, so I'm mostly on asphalt--from very smooth to mild chipseal--and cement, with a little trail running whenever I can manage the commute or have an errand to run near one.

Ran one mile barefoot at lunch, felt great. Put shoes on to run farther and had instant plantar fascia pain. I ripped out the cushioned sole in my shoe and pain went away.

Reactions: Bare Lee
ah man I'm sooo close to running the whole 30 minutes!

Last couple runs have sucked. I went out Sunday the 19th while in Destin, did about a mile running on the bike path near the beach, then turned back and came along the beach, but only sporadic running. It was mostly walking.

Then I didn't run again until Monday of this week. It was really bad. I couldn't even run more than 10 minutes, but it was in the middle of the day and hot.

Today I went at lunch, cloudy and just starting to get some rain from Isaac. I ran for about 20 minutes, then walked for maybe 45 seconds, then ran the rest of the way. So close!!! But man it was super duper slow, like 16 min/mile pace. Oh well. Will try again I guess until I can do it.

Reactions: Bare Lee
3 plus easy miles in the cool of the night. Love running in the dark

4 easy miles, nice temps, a 1/2-mile strip of mild chipseal along the way to keep me honest. I felt a few minor niggles after about two miles, but nothing painful, more like things settling in. Will continue with thorough post-run massaging and stretching throughout the day. Today I woke up almost completely ache-free after repeatedly massaging and stretching my feet and lower legs at my desk all day long yesterday. Really helps. As long as the TOFP keeps getting better with treatment, I'm going to keep increasing the distances little by little. Once I get up to six miles, I may put a cap on how much my longest run can increase per week or month, maybe something like a mile every week or few weeks, progressively slowing the increases over time as the mileage builds up. I'm so thankful to know I have probably found a solution to the mets problem--with figures crossed. Not stretching is for bozos!
Tomorrow we're going up to our lake property. Haven't been up yet this year. Will be my first test of how far I can run on pure gravel barefoot. I'll bring back-up in case I wimp out after a few feet.

Good luck Scedastic.

Wow, I actually finished the month of August with 121.24 miles and no injuries!

Oh, wait...I still have another couple 2-3 weeks before something happens.:(

Finished August with 158 miles, going for 200 plus in September. We will see how that works out.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts