Weekly Mileage 35th week of 2012

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
Eh?

Sunday I did a lame 2.5 barefoot in the neighborhood, but it was better than nuthin.'
Today I slept through the morning and will pray to the running deities for an auspicious running evening.

Anyone else running? walking? thinking about it?

2 miles. I'm back in the saddle.
Shuffled around the Minnesota Zoo with fam on Saturday, in sandals, and woke up with tofp on my right foot as well as my left. That clued me in that I probably didn't have a stress reaction/fracture in my left, since Sat's walk involved almost no impact.. I used my 'stick' on my lower legs, front and back, and felt immediate relief in both feet. I could almost feel the ache in the right foot flushing itself out as I passed the stick somewhat painfully over the outside of my shin. Today I stretched and massaged both legs a couple of times, and the pain in my left foot almost completely disappeared too, so I decided to go for a run. Felt AWESOME!!! I'll continue massaging and stretching until bedtime, and hope for the best when I wake up tomorrow.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
6.3, 2.2 of which were in huaraches, until the left one had the anchoring toe string come apart. the rest was painfully barefoot (rough and/or hot chip/seal, rough rough chip seal, rough road shoulder while avoid rough chip seal, which felt rougher for having exfoliated on sand yesterday)

3.2 mi., at slow 10:43 pace. I felt a little niggle on the top of my left foot about halfway. I will massage and stretch my lower legs and feet today, rest tomorrow (but probably go to the State Fair, which will mean a lot of stroller strolling), and then see how the foot feels on Thursday. If the ache is still there before I run, I will just run a mile or so. If it is gone completely, I think I'll try another 3 miler and see if it reappears later in the run or not at all. I will continue to proceed with the assumption that my problem is muscle stiffness/trigger points, and build up slowly, adding a mile or less per run, and reduce or rest at the first sign of serious achiness. I think I may introduce recovery runs of about a mile or less after Thursday's run, in an effort to keep my legs from stiffening up on rest days.

3.2 mi., at slow 10:43 pace. I felt a little niggle on the top of my left foot about halfway. I will massage and stretch my lower legs and feet today, rest tomorrow (but probably go to the State Fair, which will mean a lot of stroller strolling), and then see how the foot feels on Thursday. If the ache is still there before I run, I will just run a mile or so. If it is gone completely, I think I'll try another 3 miler and see if it reappears later in the run or not at all. I will continue to proceed with the assumption that my problem is muscle stiffness/trigger points, and build up slowly, adding a mile or less per run, and reduce or rest at the first sign of serious achiness. I think I may introduce recovery runs of about a mile or less after Thursday's run, in an effort to keep my legs from stiffening up on rest days.

Yay that you are at least able to run a bit.
By the way, have you tried the leg sleeves/compression support socks? Since you're willing to entertain crazy ideas, thought I'd mention it. I wear the socks to bed after long or challenging runs; I wear the leg sleeves any time I'm going a ways, sometimes for a few hours after a run. It seems to make a big difference in how long I stay sore, or how sore I get in the first place. Of course, time is the variable for which I'm not controlling. Nevertheless, they sure feel nice and supportive. Jog bras for the legs---lift and separate. I have a few different brands, and they all seem to work about the same.

Yay that you are at least able to run a bit.
Yah, I'm trying to be happy, but I won't feel very satisfied until I'm back up in the six-mile range. I don't like holding back, but if all goes well, it will only be for a week or two.
By the way, have you tried the leg sleeves/compression support socks? Since you're willing to entertain crazy ideas, thought I'd mention it. I wear the socks to bed after long or challenging runs; I wear the leg sleeves any time I'm going a ways, sometimes for a few hours after a run. It seems to make a big difference in how long I stay sore, or how sore I get in the first place. Of course, time is the variable for which I'm not controlling. Nevertheless, they sure feel nice and supportive. Jog bras for the legs---lift and separate. I have a few different brands, and they all seem to work about the same.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it, although I know I would catch a lot of grief from my wife if I start using them, especially in bed.

Yah, I'm trying to be happy, but I won't feel very satisfied until I'm back up in the six-mile range. I don't like holding back, but if all goes well, it will only be for a week or two.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it, although I know I would catch a lot of grief from my wife if I start using them, especially in bed.

Aw, I think they're cute. Very on trend. Sassy. They come in lots of colors. And you mean you don't get grief from your wife for other reasons? What's one more, in the vast scheme of things?

Reactions: NickW
Well, there's general spousal grief, and then there's barefooting grief.
When we first met, she gave me grief for being a barefooter. In Africa, only poor people and villagers walk barefoot.
Then came barefoot running when we got Stateside.
More grief.
Then came barefoot running in winter.
Grief, grief, grief.
Then came TOFP and a halt to running three weeks ago after running too far too soon.
That was more mockery than grief.
Then came the hemp anklet for ritual protection against injury.
My wife actually liked that one, and asked for one herself, since we've been prosecuting someone for embezzlement, and feared witchcraft counteracts (hemp is often used in amulets for occult protection in Moz--our daughter had a amulet bracelet for her first year of life there, as infants are especially vulnerable to that sort of thing).
Then, looking at the anklet, I decided that it would be nice to have two toe rings to go along with my wedding ring, as symbols of the two offspring that have resulted from our union.
More grief.

Well, there's general grief, and then there's barefooting grief.
When we first met, she gave me grief for being a barefooter. In Africa, only poor people and villagers walk barefoot.
Then came barefoot running when we got Stateside.
More grief.
Then came barefoot running in winter.
Grief, grief, grief.
Then came TOFP and a halt to running three weeks ago.
That was more mockery than grief.
Then came the hemp anklet for ritual protection against injury.
My wife actually liked that one, and asked for one herself, since we've been prosecuting someone for embezzlement, and feared witchcraft counteracts (hemp is often used in amulets for occult protection--our daughter had a amulet bracelet for her first year of life there, as infants are especially vulnerable to that sort of thing).
Then, looking at the anklet, I decided that it would be nice to have two toe rings to go along with my wedding ring, as symbols of the two offspring that have resulted from our union.
More grief.
Yah, I would avoid the compression socks...hahaha:barefoot:

Why will she be upset? you'll be wearing them on your legs right? that's my understanding.

A little lacking on the reporting this week so here we go:

Sunday: 3.75 miles run with the dog.
Monday: 4.5 run at lunch; followed up with a 3.28 mile run with the WH3, followed by beer and wings.......
Tuesday: 3.77 mile run at lunch; followed up with a 4.5 mile run and sniff adventure with the dog later tonight.

3.24 miles at 10 tonight. Temp was 32 degrees plus the humidity. Had to cut it short, didn't want the dog over doing it.