The Running Form Thread

I don't think about it while running, but I think it's important to have strong glutes, hammies, and a lower back, and good hip mobility--all areas my ST routine is designed to attack. Hey, but what happened to the old Damian and creating one's own reality? All this specific talk about technique is confusing me :p .

Didn't we kind of talk about the pelvic thrust yesterday? I still have no opinion on that. I tried to tilt my pelvis as you all stated on this mornings run and I couldn't. Maybe it's my fused back not allowing me to, or maybe I am still just not understanding what you all mean correctly.

I don't think about it while running, but I think it's important to have strong glutes, hammies, and a lower back, and good hip mobility--all areas my ST routine is designed to attack. Hey, but what happened to the old Damian and creating one's own reality? All this specific talk about technique is confusing me :p .
smartass

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yes, I believe Lee is a smartass. At least it's MY reality ;)

Pelvic rotation is different from leveling the pelvis. Pelvic rotation is allowing the spine and hips to rotate. Opening up your stride to the back and allowing the spine to rotate. It's hard to describe (and teach) but helps get the core involved. If you watch elites (especially Africans) they have amazing pelvic and spinal rotation. And animals!

Leveling the pelvis is more important. Nick, if you really do have a fused back, then don't force it. L4/L5 or where?

Or do you just believe it.... j/k

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
L5-S1. Are you saying to rotate the pelvis backwards? When I tried to rotate it forward my legs tried to shoot out in front of me. My normal way of running has my legs more behind me.

My legs do open up behind me, which I may just be misinterpreting everybody's description of rotating the pelvis. I know mine does rotate and there is a difference between a walking gait and running gait. I've never really thought about it though as it naturally happens.

Most runners, especially men, don't rotate their pelvis enough or at all. Here's an exercise for you to try:

Speed walk as fast as you can. The key is you have to WALK. Notice to do this your pelvis has to rotate (not sway). Then fall into a nice, easy run and for at least a few steps your hips should be rotating. This is the movement we want. It helps reduce impact and lengthens our stride by relaxing. I call this 'speed for free'.

I'm not sure I think the pelvic rotation is important. If you are a speed walker I get it, but for runners excess pelvic rotation is like overstriding, and it should vary with speed. Also isn't engaging the abdominals essentially limiting pelvic rotation?

I might understand teaching it for unatheltics folks, severly untrained or really slow runners.

The elites have decent pelvic rotation because they are hauling ass.
That makes sense to me: greater speed = greater range of motion. But I haven't tried Damian's suggestions.

This may be like the widespread misapplication of Jack Daniels's observation that elite runners have a plus-180 cadence, which has since been used as a guideline for everyone. Most people neglect to note that the elites Daniels observed were running five-minute miles.

Damien,

Do you have any video of you running? I checked your site but didn't see any. I enjoy observing runners and seeing if they match what they practice and teach.
I'd love to share a video of me running. My students say it's one of the most helpful things for them, is watching me run. They say I'm graceful and make it look easy. Because it is! I'll post something in the next couple days. By the way, I wouldn't feel comfortable and confident teaching and promoting what I do without being decent at it. My race results helps for some people. But what really shows that what I do works is when you see me out on the trail. I love what I do! It's taken years of practice.

I'd love to share a video of me running. My students say it's one of the most helpful things for them, is watching me run. They say I'm graceful and make it look easy. Because it is! I'll post something in the next couple days. By the way, I wouldn't feel comfortable and confident teaching and promoting what I do without being decent at it. My race results helps for some people. But what really shows that what I do works is when you see me out on the trail. I love what I do! It's taken years of practice.

You seem like a very hard working positive person. I always love to talk with motivated runners. Look forward to seeing you run.

Damien,

In regards to your results. What are the distances and times for your performances?
To be honest, I don't like talking about myself or bragging. I've posted some results on my website because my friends and family says it helps for my business. I'm proud of what I've done but there are way more impressive people out there. Most people are cooler and more talented then me at what they do.

http://wholisticrunning.com/damian-stoy/damian-stoy-race-bio/

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon