The BRS Rocky Raccoon Thread.

So I hurt my knee this last

So I hurt my knee this last Wednesday running on a damn road. It's the first time I've ever hurt myself while running to the point where I can't run. I tried running a 50k ths morning and made it an impressive three miles. I'm going to give it a day or two, but Rocky may be out this year.

Damn man.... Hope you heal up

Damn man.... Hope you heal up quick! You still got 2 weeks! Just listen to your body and... Ah hell, like you need my advice! Lol, this young grasshopper is deffinately NOT a master yet. You know what to do and what not to do.

Last Place Jason wrote:So I

Last Place Jason said:
So I hurt my knee this last Wednesday running on a damn road. It's the first time I've ever hurt myself while running to the point where I can't run. I tried running a 50k ths morning and made it an impressive three miles. I'm going to give it a day or two, but Rocky may be out this year.
Dude, that is the suck. What did you do to it? The closer it gets to the race the more nervous I get because it just takes one wrong step to derailed months of training.

I tweaked it running on a

I tweaked it running on a road of all places. I took 2 days off, then tried running the race this morning. It came back after a few miles, and hurt enough to the point where I couldn't run. It seriously blows... not so much because of the race, but I was pumped to hang with you guys.

Maybe 2 weeks off and you

Maybe 2 weeks off and you will be okay? Maybe the 50? Gotta do what makes sense to get better of course. Rolling the sh#t out of mine helped pretty quick.

I thought about dropping

I thought about dropping down. I'll see how it responds to RICE for a day or two. It's odd- never had an injury like this. It's not muscular, pain is behind the kneecap. It's not patellar tendonitis. No swelling or discoloration. I have full range of motion and can squat without pain. It gets much worse after walking or runnign for anything over a few miles.

Any pseudo-docs want to give it a whirl?

Quick weather update - The

Quick weather update - The other day I was thinking that we were looking at about 60/40 chance of seeing temps climo or +climo. I was thinking that there was a chance of seeing a cold snap but I am now thinking that it is more like 80/20 that we will see +climo temps with the only caveat being that temps might be held down by cloud cover. This is based on model trends over the last few days and the overnight data that I glanced at this morning.

I am now starting to think that the chance of rain for race day +/- a couple of days is on the upswing. The models are starting to sniff out another system in that time range. The models have been pretty good so far this winter on picking up these systems that are dropping into the American SW and then ejecting out across Texas. That will certainly be something to keep an eye on.

Also, it looks like we will see a lot of rain out at the park next week. Like maybe 3 - 5+ inches of rain! Does anyone know how fast those trails tend to dry out? Now add in another chance of rain on or just before race day and we may be looking at a good 'ol fashioned mudder!

My training for this race has

My training for this race has really gone off in the ditch. I was really wanting to hit three 30/20 weekends but I won't even get one of those in the books. My max training week will be 70 miles, with a 68 mile week just behind that. I was a lot more worn down mentally and physically coming out of CC than I thought. I guess running 1,000+ more miles last year than at anytime in my life will do that. On the plus side, I am feeling a lot more rested now than I have in a long time and should be able to come out of RR and roll right into training for Hells Hills.

NotSoDoomedRunner

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Maybe 2 weeks off and you will be okay? Maybe the 50? Gotta do what makes sense to get better of course. Rolling the sh#t out of mine helped pretty quick.

Dave,

Sitemail me your cell # and remind me how much I owe you for the campsite. I am planning on getting down there around 3:30 pm on Friday.

Yep, Accuweather says a lot

Yep, Accuweather says a lot the same and has put out their first forecast:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/huntsville-tx/77320/daily-weather-forecast/331115?day=11

Does this affect your shoe plans? I know if anyone is thinking VFFs, they suck in the rain. I am planning more and more barefoot but will have the trail gloves on me for the first loop and the MT110s with Jim in case I want to switch to that. I think I will head to San Marcos to see if I can get a rain jacked kind of Like Chase got for cheap. I just want something super thin to keep me dry with a hood.

Last Place Jason wrote:I

Last Place Jason said:
I thought about dropping down. I'll see how it responds to RICE for a day or two. It's odd- never had an injury like this. It's not muscular, pain is behind the kneecap. It's not patellar tendonitis. No swelling or discoloration. I have full range of motion and can squat without pain. It gets much worse after walking or runnign for anything over a few miles.

You should just get some nice thick running shoes to absorb all of the impact!

Maybe these...

http://www.kangoojumps.ch/

:)

I saw a guy running a local

I saw a guy running a local 15K in those stupid things. He wasn't very fast, he seemed really clumsey, and I could tell he was VERY tired while he was running in them.

Yes, but not for a 15K!

Yes, but not for a 15K!

runner_mc wrote:Last Place

runner_mc said:
Last Place Jason said:

Maybe these...

I think Ted tried those a few years ago pre-barefoot...

Quote from Ian Sharman's

Quote from Ian Sharman's facebook, thought some of you guys running down there might be interested. "The day after Rocky Raccoon 100, Liza Howard and myself will be at Java in Austin, TX for an evening with local trailrunners. There'll be a Q&A and even some free stuff to give away as well as plenty of people limping (including both of us)."

Chaser let me know soon on

Chaser let me know soon on the tent. The girl I am getting it from is bringing it to her sisters house this weekend in Huntsville from Houston (she is going anyhow). I know both of them from high school. They are cool with us borrowing it. I will get it Friday morning if so.

I set my new tent up for the first time today. 18 feet long, 3 rooms. Each side room fits a queen size mattress, middle is big and 6 feet tall. It is the coolest tent I have ever had. I hope it holds up well to rain.

Time to officially taper... no more long runs at all. And I'm not injured. Knees got someone tweeked some lately but should be good to go by then.

Goy 60 miles in this week, so I feel good about that. Had long runs of 30 miles and 26.2 within the last few weeks. Pretty excited. Hope we all make it to the start line!!!

Jason, just think, if you bumped down to the 50, you could hang with us and hear Chase and my nonsense for hours on end! Great conversation topics over 15 miles included:

-Barefoot running.

-Minorities that don't like to be called other minorities.

-Gays in the military.

-Children.

-"scenery" (think a word Chaser loves that TJ probably does not want me to say here)

-Austin.

-Leaving your kids home and going to disney world.

-Bubba's height?

And more! I'm quite sure at least a few runners trailing or just ahead of us must have been offended by at least 1 thing we said.

Don't miss out!

Bubba, are you really like 6'6? If so, if we get near cameras, we separate. I don't need to look any more like a midget.

Last Place Jason

Last Place Jason said:
runner_mc said:
Last Place Jason said:

Maybe these...

I think Ted tried those a few years ago pre-barefoot...

You are right about that.

I heard an interview by Ted a few years ago talking about those kangoojumps. He said after trying them with disappointment (he thought they would solve his running injuries), he started researching on the web and came across Ken Bob's website and the rest was history.

They're sorta like pogo

They're sorta like pogo sticks on stilts. I used to love both, but we never had them combined "back in the day." I bet kids would just love them now.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon