The BRS Rocky Raccoon Thread.

When I first read that, I

When I first read that, I read that your sister looked like him! That would have been way funnier. I like how I set a meetup for your run and you haven or RSVPd.Nice, ass.

More beer now!!!!

Yeah.... About that... I

Yeah.... About that... I can't even spell RSVP, let alone figure out how to navigate that damn site to actually do it. Lol.

Funny, sometimes I wonder if

Funny, sometimes I wonder if I'm even real, our am I a tormented figment of my own imagination? Which would make me an imagined imagination, and that really complicated my little brain beyond belief...

I'll try to figure out how to RSVP...

Meh. Jim did'nt either and he

Meh. Jim did'nt either and he said he might be coming. Are you running barefoot? I'm going trail gloves. Ran it barefoot last week. Parts are great, parts are like running on sharp gravel.

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote: Are

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Are you running barefoot?

Did he really just ask me that?

I'm RSVP'ed now. See ya at 5:30! Don't forget your shoes and extra tampons Sally, you might need both...

Oh, I forgot. You are one of

Oh, I forgot. You are one of those tools who prove they are badass by running barefoot. I hope a snake bites your foot.

Really, I don't hope there is a body, but if there is, I hope we find it. COOL STORY BRO!

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:Oh,

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Oh, I forgot. You are one of those tools who ARE TOO BIG OF A CHEAP ASS TO BUY A PAIR OF MINIMALIST SHOES, THEREFORE MUST RUN BAREFOOT. AND IS ALSO TRAINING TO RUN A 50 MILE ULTRA BAREFOOT AND NEEDS ALL THE FEET STRENGTHENING HE CAN GET.

There ya go! I fixed it!

Oh, and true story, I've been bitten by a copperhead at Crosscountry meet before (on the hands, yes, it bit me twice...) And once on the foot, while barefoot, as a kid by a cotton mouth / water moccasin. I like playing with snakes!

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:Oh,

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Oh, I forgot. You are one of those tools who prove they are badass by running barefoot. I hope a snake bites your foot.

Really, I don't hope there is a body, but if there is, I hope we find it. COOL STORY BRO!
Don't CSB Chase!

Hey Bubba, Cool Story Bro to

Hey Bubba, Cool Story Bro to you too! All around! AHHH!!!

Chase- shut yo mouth fool. But really. Hopefully your feet are strong enough by now. I'm going into the taper, baby my feet mode. But do what you need man. I don't mind the pebbles too bad, but I'm super paranoid and my heel has still not completely gotten better.

Chase, so we got this dude

Chase, so we got this dude from San An. He is a German dude that drives all the way to Austin for meetups. This crap made me laugh so hard... not his fault, I just think there was a major breakdown in communication and it made me laug.

Today

Hi David! How "long" will the run on Saturday be?

Hey. 15 miles.This user is using an application to access chat. To send a message, you must change your settings to enable friends using applications to see you when you're online.15 miles.I am not sure what time he is running Friday, he said to text the number listed on the meetup.Saturday will be at 5:30AM

Starting at 4pm? That might take a moment to finish 15 miles

Yeah, text or call him to find out what time you will start Friday he said. I will only be there at the Saturday runeach one is 15 miles

(I could have sworn the Meetup said 4pm … )

So he is doing back to backsit did because you have to put a time, but in the description it says to call him for the actual time

ah, gotcha

i think around 4but im sure hes flexible

4am might not be doable, I have to come from San Antonio

ohh. Friday is 4 PMSaturday is 5:30 AM

Are you the wife I have never met?

well, I'm not sure how to respond to that...lol

Hahahaha, it's ok. Since David usually doesn't talk about himself in the third person.

Oh. Uh. What? I was talking about Chase haahaChase is the one you call

I cannot do Friday, that's for sure

So the run is to run with Chase

Ah!

he is running friday and saturdayim just running saturdayWell, the Saturday is 5:30 AM15 miles

The distance wouldn't be such a shocker I guess. I was sick all week …

And I'm sick from just trying

And I'm sick from just trying to read that.

Anywho, Chaser, I love snakes, as I love all critters, and I used to play with a Burmese Python and have handled others and I never got bit by one. Maybe they were just trying to tell you something. :tongue:

I like snakes as long as they

I like snakes as long as they don't catch me by surprise. The #1 reason I keep one headphone in and one out often is to hear them.

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:Hey

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Hey Bubba, Cool Story Bro to you too! All around! AHHH!!!

Chase- shut yo mouth fool. But really. Hopefully your feet are strong enough by now. I'm going into the taper, baby my feet mode. But do what you need man. I don't mind the pebbles too bad, but I'm super paranoid and my heel has still not completely gotten better.
I give your CSB a TL,DR !

Oh my.... I hope I'm not the

Oh my.... I hope I'm not the only one running with that guy... Lol. I'm so confused by that conversation that I don't even understand how im still breathing.

I still have lots of genetic questions about ultras. I'll just start a separate thread. Lol.

This is probably TL, DR for

This is probably TL, DR for most so just jump to the bottom!
shades_smile.gif

Now, let us talk about the weather. You may ask yourself, "How can we talk about the weather on Feb. 4th when we can't even have an educated conversation about the weather next weekend!?!"
confused_smile.gif
Well, the fact is, we can't, but we can guess and speculate and have some general thoughts on what might happen. The 1st thing to consider is climatology and what one might expect a "normal" Feb 4th day to look like:

Avg High - 59 Record High - 78

Avg Low - 40 Record Low - 19 (set last year!)

Now we can look at large scale forcing from La Nina (Spanish for "The Nina") and we see that typically in a La Nina you would expect warmer and drier conditions across that part of Texas. But wait a second?! Wasn't last winter a La Nina as well? Yes, Hmmmmm (see above - Record Low of 19). This hasn't really been a typical La Nina run for Texas last winter or this winter. But I digress, so an avg. day of 59/40 plus toss in some warmth from La Nina and you might expect a high b/w the avg and record... so 65? Sounds like a nice day of running.

But what about the MJO? Another weather phenomenon that can influence the weather down this way. Predicting the MJO out that far is tricky but we have a number of models that we can look at. The MJO for the most part has had a pretty weak signal this winter and that looks to continue. If it does gain some amplitude, then it looks to be in Phase 5 and/or 6 and that is another warm signal.

So, Climo + La Nina + MJO are all combining to hint at a warm day. Wow, that looks like a slam dunk. No so fast my friend! There are a lot of other things to consider and any number of them can out muscle these other factors, esp. in the right combo. I won't discuss the AO, NAO, PNA, EPO, PDO, GW, est. but they all can play a roll.

There are some signs that we may see building cold anomalies in Alaska and W. Canada in the next 7 - 10 days and that we may see that propagate southward in the long range. Will that cold actually materialize? If it does, does it propagate south in a west based fashion or more of an east based fashion just giving us a glancing blow of cold and not really locking it in?

As of today, if I had to bet, I would actually bet colder than avg. for Feb 4 based on some of the other factors that I didn't discuss. Luckily, we should have a much better clue next week around this time.

Now on to something I am much more confident about, will it rain? Well, I don't know about Feb 4 but I do feel very confident that we will see at least 2 or maybe even 3 significant rain events out at the park between now and race day. The trails around here typically need 4 - 6 days to dry out from a good rain. The worst days to run are days 3/4 post rain b/c the mud has kind of "gunked" up and sticks to your shoes like something horrible and you end up running in 5 lb mud boots.

La Nina typically means dry weather for Texas but MJO in phase 5/6 is a wet signal. The pattern so far this winter has been wetter than expected and that looks to continue.

So long story short... the trail will probably be damp to wet and the temp will most likely be warmer than avg. but I think there is an outside shot of cold (maybe 60/40 warm cold split at this point).

That is kind of what I was

That is kind of what I was thinking based on gut. We are not too far out from a 10 day forecast, so I can add looking at that every day to my obsession. These warmer temps might actually make things more interesting. I have hardly trained above 65 in quite some time. Yesterday I ran on a track at 80 degrees and later in the hills at 75. 75 felt much better. And to think a few months ago, I was quite conditioned to run in the 90s and some in the 100s.

Almost down to race weight. I am gonna try to replace all this fat I lost with some muscle again after the race... I'm down to near 8th grade weight (that is when my height kinda capped off, so it's not like I am a few inches taller). Was way heavier through high school for wrestling and martial arts. Anyhow, hoping the tiny weight will help me a bit. Tired of eating sort of right.

2 weeks, 1 day, men!

Ive got my MOJO!!!

Ive got my MOJO!!!