Summer's here (dammit)

Bah. Longboard is right, doesn't feel like summer in Michigan. Doesn't even feel like SPRING. We had a sleet storm this morning, and it's been just weeks and weeks of barely hitting above 43 degrees. It's just been constantly cloudy and in the low 40's, with a ton of rain.

I ran outside yesterday later in the day and did O.K. while the wind was down and the puddles were gone.
But today's sleet REALLY pi$$ed me off!
Then I found out it was just graupel, not sleet. Made me feel much better.
Been flying for thirty years and never heard of that one before.
Had to look it up!
"precipitation that forms when supercooled droplets of water are collected and freeze on a falling snowflake, forming a 2–5 mm (0.079–0.197 in) ball of rime. Strictly speaking, graupel is not the same as hail or ice pellets."
(from Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel
Tomorrow HAS to be better!

Been skiing since I was 10, snowboarding since age 45. Never ever got to enjoy fresh graupel. Today was my first known encounter, and it $ucked. But thanks for letting me know it has it's upside!

Lee, I am so with you! I had the woodstove fired up yesterday, last of the year (so help me!) I am indeed switched over. I did have a good 6 mile run this AM at just under 40F, but that was only because the forecast called for almost 60 this PM.
I guess I spoke a little too soon. Yesterday I had a nice run through slush, moisture, mud, puddles, mild chipseal, and gravel, and my soles enjoyed the stimulating abuse. The mild numbness felt kind of good again. I guess I'll be a switch hitter until the seasons finally makes up their minds about who's in charge now. I'm tired of telling myself that that that was the last cold run of the season, only to be disappointed. Gotta get back to embracing it.

I think we may have graupel last week, it felt quite pleasant to be out in it with my toddler son. It had the same fresh ionic buzz to it as a light spring shower.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7