Summer's here (dammit)

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
It's been a hard winter for me, as I've shared here a lot lately. Rain, cold, wind, and injuries have all worn me down. I just couldn't wait for the sun to shine and the pavements to warm up a little.

Well, I got my wish yesterday. I didn't pay too close attention to the actual temps, but it seemed a bit warm as I started my 5 mile loop. When I got to the long open stretch the pavement began to get uncomfortable. I overrode the discomfort as simple transition "noise" and kept running. As I got to the end though, I was really uncomfortable and began running on the grass margin, and even then I was hurting. I ended up with blisters under the main pads of both feet for the first time in my running career.

I heard this morning that it got to 86F. Bah! Blisters! Next time I'll have my Bikilas in hand just in case.

I had a similar experience this spring once temps started to warm up around 40F. Got a little to anxious to run BF and had been running in VFF's before the temps reached the 40's as apparently I'm a wimp when it comes to running in temps much below 38F. My first barefoot run after the first of the year left me with a toe blister on each foot as I had lost all of my conditioning on my feet from where shoes during the winter months and my form was not perfect due to running in the VFF's.

Transitioning can get you, yes, Carey.

My last run was a harder, rougher, gravely 5 miles BF, though, that went fine except for a shard of cinder that embedded and my daughter dug out for me. But it was cold, around 35F, and I handled that alright, albeit grumbling. 86F, though, did me in!

When it gets really hot sometimes I bring a pair of socks just in case, I haven't needed them but I like to be prepared. Running in socks feels much better that running inVFF especially in hot weather-just sayin'

It's been really hot here this week in Georgia, in the high 80s already! Where's the sweating smiley!

i had a hard time running in the cold the few times i tried. since the end of feb or beginning of march, whichever, i've had no problems with any of the temp swings we've had here. granted no 80f days but over 70f for a couple.

Still not that warm in Sweden yet. It's generally minus degrees (celcius) during the morning, and a few plus during the day. Looks like we are in for a change though. Through the weekend and next week it looks like it'll be between 9 - 15 degrees (48-59 F). That's nice!

Yeah the last few weeks we have been averaging 10-15 degrees below norm. Then all the sudden a few days ago, 15-20 degrees above average. We hit into the 80's and though I had been eagerly awaiting my first run in shorts, well it was so hot and muggy I felt like a slug!

Have a 10k this sunday, and was looking forward to finally not having to wear tights and long sleeves at a race. But this storm is coming through... and of course the coldest tempin the 10 day forecast is sunday morning in the mid 30's! Dangit.
wall.gif

I was in FL last week and ran more days than not.
Now that I'm back in MI it's been rainy and 40 F max every day, and I have'nt got a run in yet.
Not even a treadmill, because it's so hard to return to that mindset especially when generaly depressed by the return to cloudy cold days.
Being from Michigan you'll NEVER hear me complain about heat!

Bare Lee could be back in full-on winter mode at the same time!
I wimped out. We got 5-6 inches of snow yesterday morning, on top of freezing rain overnight. By the time it was time for my afernoon run though, parts of the street were already showing through the slush. But I just didn't feel like dealing with it. I had already switched running modes I guess. So I substituted a strength-training workout in for the run. Now we just got another 1-2 inches last night. Oh brother. Hopefully it'll mostly be melted in time for Saturday's run. Last winter was a great winter for barefoot running. This winter is sort of the opposite, although conditions were good up through early December, so I guess I can't complain about the delayed spring too much . . . I am looking forward to a nice messy open sweat in the summer though. I don't feel sorry for you cats in warmer climes at all. Time to clean out the pores.

Lee, I am so with you! I had the woodstove fired up yesterday, last of the year (so help me!) I am indeed switched over. I did have a good 6 mile run this AM at just under 40F, but that was only because the forecast called for almost 60 this PM.