Suddenly really sore calves

BarefootGburg

Barefooters
Nov 7, 2011
I've been barefooting (mostly) since June. Recently, my calves have been getting really sore while I run. By the next day, they are fine again.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a symptom of running more in minimalist shoes (Vivo NEOs) as the weather has gotten colder. I really hate the amount of protection they provide, and how easy it is for me to begin pounding the soles of my feet into the ground. Or, it's possible that being a middle aged type I Diabetic, this is a new symptom of PAD, but I don't know what that feels like, and I don't think that would come on so suddenly.

Any form advice from anyone? Good calf exercises that anyone can provide?

Thing is, it's *both* calves,

Thing is, it's *both* calves, all the way from achilles to the fat part of the calf muscle. Now, I say "fat" part, but I've always been no-welll-endowed in the calf region.

I think I'll try five minutes of gently running in place, then gentle stretching. I guess calf warmers couldn't hurt in this weather, either.

BarefootGburg wrote:I wish I

BarefootGburg said:
I wish I could just ditch the shoes. Maybe another brand is the answer, but I just can't keep blowing $100 on shoes.

I'm there with you. I am slowly coming to the realization that there is still not much (despite all the choices out there now) that works great for me. My homemade huaraches are the best shoe I own, which is pretty sad because they cost me all of $10ish to make (and I have enough material left to make 3 more pair). I did just order a new pair of Lunas, the ATS model, and those I think will be good for muddy and flooded sections (once I get the lacing issue corrected) where my homemade huaraches and barefeet are just too slick.

Don't sweat it another brand

Don't sweat it another brand isn't the answer, you'll figure it out after some practice. Foam rolling is great advice, if you are cheap like me go to homedepot and get a $2 2' section of 4" PVC and roll on that.

Abide wrote:Yeah same here.

Abide said:
Yeah same here. Try focusing on letting your heels set down, it seems to help.

I second that, I have to think about it when running in shoes, whereas barefoot it just comes naturally. And like others said rollers are great as well.

I started BFR in May, '10 and

I started BFR in May, '10 and went through a few weeks of freaky calf pain in Jan., '11. That's just about the same interval as you're seeing there. I'm not sure the shoes had anything to do with it. (I'm a VFF user for nasty conditions.)

I went into serious calf muscle rolling and backing off milage until it all settled out and I never had any such problems again. Maybe it's part of the transition to BF style musculature.

I think it's normal.  

I think it's normal. Happens to me at times, running barefoot for 6 months straight then into footwear, I have to adjust again. But for those of us that experience winter I guess we have to go through the abuse.

Roll the calves when they get tight, it does wonders. Buy a foam roller if you don't have one, or use a rolling pin, pvc piping, etc...

After doing a lot of bfr,

After doing a lot of bfr, when I went into minimal shoes (anythng from huaraches to minimus) my calves would become really sore. In my case, I wasn't letting my heels touch as Abide suggests. I was so concerned about rerting to a heel-shocker stride that I inconsciously became a "toe-runner" and kept it all on my forefeet. As I began to trust my form it got better.

The less frequently I run shod, the more it is an issue, in my case.

Thanks. I'm going to make

Thanks. I'm going to make sure my heels touch more securely. I'm soemtimes wonder if it's just that my calves aren't getting the signal to relax that they would get when I can feel the ground.

Also, I'm getting more fit now, and consequently, I'm picking up my pace (because it feels good!). So I could be pushing off more.

I'll be making a dedicated muscle roller this weekend. And I'll relax and slow down. I can always go faster later.

Lomad said:
After doing a lot of bfr, when I went into minimal shoes (anythng from huaraches to minimus) my calves would become really sore. In my case, I wasn't letting my heels touch as Abide suggests. I was so concerned about rerting to a heel-shocker stride that I inconsciously became a "toe-runner" and kept it all on my forefeet. As I began to trust my form it got better.

The less frequently I run shod, the more it is an issue, in my case.

Okay, two points that haven't

Okay, two points that haven't been brought up here:

Are you sure you should be running barefoot? I understand that diabetes and barefoot running don't work well together, and you know why.

Also, are you stretching before your runs? My calves felt tighter during my runs when I used to stretch before runs, but since I don't do that anymore, I don't have that problem. Many people have said that once they stop stretching before their runs, their calves fell a lot better and more relaxed during their runs.

I find that when I run in any type of minshoes my calves feel tighter too though. When I run barefoot, my calves are more relaxed and not so tense.

That's reassuring to know,

That's reassuring to know, but do be sure to check your feet after you've run. I guess you will do so as you wash them anyway.

So, are you stretching before your runs?

Thanks for your concern. The

Thanks for your concern. The condition of a diabetic's feet is really a very individual thing. Diabetics are more prone to reduced circulation and nerve degeneration. My endo was startled and nervous when I told her I was running barefoot until she checked my feet. Straight toes, sufficient pads, a good pulse and plenty of feeling. And sweaty socks. She told me to make sure I checked them after I run, and maybe not to run barefoot in winter. Also she hoped that I was running a path I knew well (I was) and checked carefully for glass, etc. (I do). I don't think she was thrilled, but she said she couldn't give me any good reason to not run barefoot given the condition of my feet. Actually, I think she was just happy I was running.

I wouldn't recommend it to other diabetics. But I would share my experience. I've been lucky with my condition (considering I've had it for more than 30 years). I've had only minimal eye complications and no other apparent circulatory or nerve complications.

I'm starting to think that the calf tightness is from the lack of interaction with the ground.

Barefoot TJ said:
Okay, two points that haven't been brought up here:

Are you sure you should be running barefoot? I understand that diabetes and barefoot running don't work well together, and you know why.

Also, are you stretching before your runs? My calves felt tighter during my runs when I used to stretch before runs, but since I don't do that anymore, I don't have that problem. Many people have said that once they stop stretching before their runs, their calves fell a lot better and more relaxed during their runs.

I find that when I run in any type of minshoes my calves feel tighter too though. When I run barefoot, my calves are more relaxed and not so tense.

No, I'm not stretching before

No, I'm not stretching before I run. I am thinking of running in place for five minutes to warm everything up. I may stretch gently after that. I understand that you say this impacts you negatively. I don't expect it will help me, per se, but sometimes just doing something different helps, maybe only because it provides an opportunity to be aware of what one is feeling.

And if it doesn't, I'll stop doing it.

Barefoot TJ said:
That's reassuring to know, but do be sure to check your feet after you've run. I guess you will do so as you wash them anyway.

So, are you stretching before your runs?

Instead of running in place,

Instead of running in place, try walking briskly for three to five minutes, then let into a slow run and increase gradually until you are up to speed. Just a suggestion.

Now that you mention it,

Now that you mention it, that's what I used to do. Maybe I should go back to that instead of just running out the door.

Barefoot TJ said:
Instead of running in place, try walking briskly for three to five minutes, then let into a slow run and increase gradually until you are up to speed. Just a suggestion.

From my understanding and

From my understanding and reading and reading, it's probably the best possible way for runners to warm up. Give it a try, and let us know how it goes. BUT be sure to take a day or two off before you try this new experiment to make sure you're starting off fresh.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon