Serious Knot Monster Lingering

Is that a troll?  Or is that

Is that a troll? Or is that seriously stuff that y'all might use? I use Ben Gay but my dh and kids are about to pass out from the stench. What is up with the epidemic of calf soreness? I have a giant knot in my right calf and am doing my best to roll that thing out of there. But I guess I need a tennis ball????

Blind Boy wrote:lownox

Blind Boy said:
lownox said:
OMG. I may sleep with this tennis ball. OMG...
I was going to say pcis or it didn't happen but if you did post pics Id most likely have to ban you so no pics, ok? :crazy: As for myself, I have a date with my rolling pin right about now.

OK. My love affair with my tools has transformed into an intensely committed (albeit slightly masochistic) relationship. Hahahah! I had the best run today in WEEKS! I attribute my success to a few things:

1) Old fashioned R&R - took about a week and a half off (except for some dancing and hoola hooping on sat. night)

2) The targeted point massage with the nerf balls - I started working on my calf on sunday and just sat with one leg on top of the other targeting the area where my knot monster lived. It hurt like a mofo - had flashbacks to childbirth - but breathing got me through. I'd roll out after each session. Must have worked on it at least twice a day for 10-20 minutes for 2 days.

3) Bent my knees a little when I ran this morning - I had to start out shodded (I'm still in serious transition here) and as soon as I felt my calf tightening and the knot monster moving I tried bending my knees a little more while running. This totally kept the knot monster at bay!! He did not rear his ugly head. I totally felt like Buffy the Vampire Slayer - hee hee. Got over 4 miles in shodded without any pain or tenderness at all!

Took my shoes off at the end of my run and was able to run another .7 miles or more pain free! You don't know how ectatic I am. Came home and worked on some more target areas so that hopefully they won't bother me from now on.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys. It has been working like a charm. YOU GUYS ROCK!

I would consider using it,

I would consider using it, yes, Chick. I ordered some, then realized that it may contain Sulfa, something I may be allergic to. I took a medication 16 years ago that had Sulfa in it, and it caused sores in my mouth and throat. Doing research, and talking with a couple of doctors trying to find something for MN and PF a few months back, turns out that if I come in contact with Sulfa again, my next allergic reaction may cause death. That's the way this particular allergy works. Too bad because from what I understand about the skin-absorbing anti-inflammatories is that they actually work much better than pill form.

Huh!  I am allergic to sulfa

Huh! I am allergic to sulfa drugs also, so I won't be trying it. It causes a pretty awesome rash and it has been cumulative as well! But I do love my Bengay.

I was experiencing this in

I was experiencing this in May. Everytime I waited a day it felt better, I would run and it would come back. I have the solution, but it is very hard to do. Take a week off from running and dancing. Running is addictive, so I know this will be hard. My very painfull knot went away after taking a week off.

I have this, too - I

I have this, too - I attribute it to increased speed. Or maybe because we are all on the Paleo diet we are missing key electrolytes? Mine started as a cramp while I was sleeping.

FWIW.  DMSO has been

FWIW.
  • DMSO has been approved by the FDA as a "penetration enhancer" for the topical arthritis drug, Pennsaid.

• It has also been FDA approved since 1978 as a Rinso-50, a 50% solution for instilling into the bladder to treat interstital cystitis.

JSchwab has an interesting

JSchwab has an interesting point and reminds me... about the time I started to transition and my calves were so knotted up I also upped my EmergenC intake to 3 packets a day and I think it helped. I read somewhere that Vitamin C is really important for tissue repair and I don't eat a lot of fruit anymore due to blood sugar fluctuations.

Great info.  All I know is

Great info. All I know is I've had two occasions where I've asked MD's about it and they said they couldn't discuss it. After pestering one MD he finally took his Hospital ID off and said, "off the record, yes I would use it on this type of injury". FYI - Love NC, I have one sister in Hendersonville and one in Asheville. Every year I spend a week out there running and cycling in the mountains.

I'm dealing with what I think

I'm dealing with what I think is a left calcaneofibular ligament injury. The pain is just a minor aggravation until I walk down steps and then it aches. I ran 7 miles yesterday and it seems no worse, but no better. Yes, I know running 7 mi was not helpful.

In the desire to further our running injury treatment knowledge I used myself as an experimental subject and went to Feed & Seed store today and bought a 4oz roll-on bottle of 90% DMSO in the horse first aid section. I've applied it twice with no analgesic effect over 4 hours that I can tell. The Daily Mile blog entry I linked above said DMSO was better for soft tissue injuries, maybe a ligament is too deep and too hard.

I've been applying an Rx diclofenac gel (NSAID) called Voltaren which has helped a lot. I have done neither since last night.

Oh well, I'll be interested in what others think if they try it. The Voltren was a sample, I think I need to get a Rx for a big tube. The nice thing about the gel is that it has only 3% systemic absorption which means it has a much smaller chance of causing stomach problems than a oral NSAID.

David

Thanks for that info and the

Thanks for that info and the PM, David. I will definitely get to do some reading later. In the meantime, do you think the Voltaren would help plantar fasciitis?

Chick, can you describe how your effects became cummulative? Do you mean that each time you used it, your rash got worse?

Yes I think it would help PF.

Yes I think it would help PF. It is worth a try. Voltaren is diclofenac gel. Diclofenac is a more powerful NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug). Taken orally it is a bad player for causing stomach upset. NSAIDs suppresses production the stomach's normal mucous layer making it subject to damage from the acid produced there. The gel form has very low systemic absorption so stomach problems are much less likely. However it still may not be good if you have serious stomach problems already.

Talk to your doctor about it. You will need a prescription. It is not a generic, so expect to pay a bit for it.

There is a prescription patch from another manufacturer that delivers diclofenac. It is called the Flector Patch. It works great for injuries like neck strains, back spasms/lumbar pain, and shoulder sprains. It has a $30 off coupon at the website.

David

Would the Flector Patch also

Would the Flector Patch also require a prescription, and would it be good for PF?

Hey TJ,I probably took

Hey TJ,

I probably took antibiotics once a year for a while there, but no more. Each time, I'd get a rash near the end of my 10 days, and then it started getting worse each time, and then it was after only five, etc. I finally figured out that if I absolutely have to take abx, I can take penicillin but that's about it. I haven't taken them in a couple years though...I use a neti pot every day and pretty much swear by it.

Ibuprofen itched in a different way, like I was jumping out of my skin. Hard to describe.

I asked because I wonder if

I asked because I wonder if my effects would be cumulative to, to anything with sulfa in it. Thanks for explaning that.

jschwab wrote:I have this,

jschwab said:
I have this, too - I attribute it to increased speed.

I have the same experience. It all started when I increased my cadence from 170 to 180 a month and half ago.

Since that time I have been having the "knot in the calf" problem regularly. It goes away after a week of rest (or sooner of I roll it out) but in the next two runs it's back. I finally got tired of that and went down to cadence 170 which helped a little and so far it's been under control. I can run with it but I can still feel the spot. And yes bending knees helps alot !

I've been trying the DMSO

I've been trying the DMSO experiment on my left ankle sprain for 5 days now. I really cannot tell any difference after using it twice a day. NSAIDS, whether oral or topical, still seem to make a much bigger difference. I've been giving a hour or so between different treatments to test for effect.

What I have noticed is a funky dry metallic taste in my mouth and last night my wife banished me from our bed due to my "chemical-garlic" body odor. I have not used DMSO in 24 hrs and still reek according to her. Hopefully I'll mellow before I work the weekend.

The foot is SLOWLY improving.

David

Well, my DMSO just showed up

Well, my DMSO just showed up in the mail today. It probably wouldn't work for me either then.

fyi..running low with the

fyi..

running low with the knees too bent will cause the calves to explode. I see numerous peeps dealing with it. Maker sure your cadence is up and your relaxed

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts