Serious Knot Monster Lingering

OK. I'm officially frustrated. I have this serious knot in my left calf that I can't seem to get rid of. I've been rolling it daily, even got out my kid's small nerf ball to really get at it deeper in the muscle tissue, but I just can't seem to get to it. I've been taking breaks from running although I danced barefoot on Sat night which seemed to exacerbate it a bit. I want to get back out there and do a small run, but it just seems to never go away. When I run, I run totally BF and I've been really focusing on my form - relaxing my legs, landing completely mid-foot with a slight heel bounce on the ground, etc. Has anyone else had this problem where the knot just doesn't go away? What else can I do to get rid of it?

Reactions: BFwillie_g
How bad does it hurt?  Does

How bad does it hurt? Does it only hurt when you are "rolling" it? Does it feel like a pull/strain?

I don't even feel it unless

I don't even feel it unless I'm running, dancing or rolling it. Doesn't feel like a pull. When I roll it it is pretty tender.

Have you tried

Have you tried trigger-pointing it? Basically, sit down with your legs extended, healthy leg crossed over the one with the knot, with a tennis ball under the tender spot. Get the ball situated and sit there stationary while your body (leg) weight keeps pressure on the knot for at least two minutes. Depending on the knot, sometimes it feels a little intense, but usually eases up after the first 60-90 seconds. I'll sometimes do five minutes if I've got a stubborn spot. If you put your hands down on the floor at your sides, you can press up slightly to get more pressure, but you want to stay as relaxed as possible and "sink" into the tennis ball.

Zap-You're not alone.  As a

Zap-

You're not alone.

As a result of upping my training intensity of late... I have developed some tight calf muscles too. It's been rather persistent for the last 3-4 days. I've been BFR for nearly 6 months and this is the first bit of calf soreness that I've had in quite a while.

I have also been trying to roll, massage, and knead this tightness out without much success. I've tried recovery paced runs with stretching too.

I think I am just going to have to resort to plain old rest.

S. Pimp.

swedishpimple wrote:I think I

swedishpimple said:
I think I am just going to have to resort to plain old rest.S. Pimp.

Probably a good plan!

I'm having my first unplanned rest day for a year or more after my left calf locked up on me this morning 20 yards out of the house on my run to work.

I've been massaging it, attacking it with Tiger Balm and rolling it with a Stick and it has just got the point where I can walk without discomfort. I'll give it some more Stick this evening and probably take tomorrow as a rest day as well and hope it's good to go on Wednesday.

Went through this in July and

Went through this in July and so feel your pain! I think Art is spot-on about the trigger-point massage but I would add two cents: sometimes the tennis ball isn't target specific enough so I resort to using either a golf ball or the end of one of my 3 lb. hand-weights where it is hard but rounded- it seems to get in there better for me and doesn't roll around so much.

Have to say, it's sometimes a challenge to stay on on the spot until the muscle sinks into it- if you're directly on the spot you'll feel a hot/cold type of burn and it can be intense, even nauseating, and then there are often referral pinches or zings somewhere else. My PT friend has taught me to chase those referral points too, so I work my calves, then take the tennis ball to my back wherever it zinged me and always find another knot to work.

Also, I learned how to tape my calves, ankles, lower back, wherever was feeling kinky. Rocktape is my fave and stays on even after a couple sessions in the pool.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Actually, I've started eating more bananas and drinking more water, but honestly have not noticed if it was helping or not. As for the trigger point... I've actually been working on that with some firm nerf balls (the size of golf balls) and have had the hot/cold burn with pinching like twinkle talked about. Wasn't sure that that was a good sign and backed off a little. Sounds like that's what I need to do though. I think I will spend a little more time on the "spot".That may be what it needs. I can't believe how persistent this thing is! Sheesh!

Just when I get bored reading

Just when I get bored reading all the same old stuff... someone posts something about what I am experiencing right now. I am SOOOO trying that trigger point thing tonight. My right calf has a tight spot that I can't get worked out either. I have been pondering whether it is related to the moderate PF I have been having in my right foot. ...which, I might add, stretching 6+ times per day is helping immensely.

I ran 9 miles yesterday and my calf is angry again. Time to find a tennis ball. :)

I actually use a baseball

I actually use a baseball myself, and though I guess that isn't necessarily recommended, it has been berry berry good to me. I don't sleep with it, but it does live on my nightstand, which is close enough.

This is cool, I just

This is cool, I just registered tonight and it's great to hear all the BFR's. I've been BF since Jan 2010 and I pulled my calf muscle about three months in, big knot. Before this I was doing Tri's, Adventure Racing, Trail Runs, Marathons, basically anything for an endorphin fix. Here's another option that I've used for years; find a local Health Food store that sells DMSO, 90% pure in a roll on. Apply to the calf twice a day for two week. You may also want to use it as you get back running so as not to re-injure the calf

Now the disclaimer:

1) DMSO is not approved for use on the skin yet it comes in a roll-on???

2) DMSO is absorbed through the skin into the area where applied so the skin must be clean and don't use fragrence soaps as the chemical will get absorbed! Also keep your pants off the leg till it dries as it can stain clothes.

3) Google DMSO and educate yourself first!!!! DMSO is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory products on the market and this works.

4) It may cause some skin irritation but it's not bad, try a small spot first.

5) DMSO on some folks gives off a garlic like smell through the skin and breath.

Again, do your own research first, it sounds spooky but I've been using DMSO for years and even had my daughter use it after a nasty bicycle race crash.

Lastly, a lady at work thought I was nuts for using DMSO until her mother in-law went in for surgery and the surgon recommended Horse Linament (DMSO) for post operative inflamation. Yes vets can use it on animals!

For some races I put DMSO on right before the race or a long training run.

Good Luck!

Okay, JSR.  I am SO glad you

Okay, JSR. I am SO glad you joined the BRS. Hee. ;-) I just ordered this stuff...all because of you. I even found a coupon at RetailMeNot.com for 25 cents! Yippee! I had heard about skin-absorbing anti inflammatories being for sale in other countries, but I did not know that the U.S. was now allowing it to be sold here. Whoo-hoo! I understand this is some powerful stuff from what I read previously. Hey, I'm used to being a guinea pig for the shoe industry, now it's my turn to be my own guinea pig. Wait. That didn't come out right. This is what I ordered:

herbal-remedies-usa_2126_709297213
herbal-remedies-usa_2126_709273320

I was going to post about

I was going to post about DMSO to see if anyone uses it. You beat me to it. I'm thinking about using it for some TOFP. Would like to hear peoples opinion on this stuff, whether it really works or is it just a placebo effect.

lownox wrote:OMG.  I may

lownox said:
OMG. I may sleep with this tennis ball. OMG...

I was going to say pcis or it didn't happen but if you did post pics Id most likely have to ban you so no pics, ok? :crazy: As for myself, I have a date with my rolling pin right about now.

Or is that oh so Good in a

Or is that oh so Good in a bad sort of way?

My hubby rolled me out again

My hubby rolled me out again last night! Yikes! That feels oh so...BAD in a good sort of way.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts