Relaxation and bending knees

You're the only barefoot blogger I pay any attention to Jason, not only for your sense of humor, but mainly because you seem to be one of the few who's willing to approach any topic with a completely open mind. It doesn't hurt that you've got a gypsy soul too.

We don't know enough about running to approach it any different way. Besides, I think it's important to remain skeptical about all your personally-held beliefs. It's the only way to insulate yourself against the various thought biases that lead us down the spiraling staircase of fanaticism. Once we develop an idea, we tend to filter info. The stuff that confirms our beliefs gets in and reinforces our beliefs; the stuff that refutes our beliefs gets ignored.

Who knows? This whole barefoot running thing may turn out to be a terrible long-term solution.
;)

We don't know enough about running to approach it any different way. Besides, I think it's important to remain skeptical about all your personally-held beliefs. It's the only way to insulate yourself against the various thought biases that lead us down the spiraling staircase of fanaticism. Once we develop an idea, we tend to filter info. The stuff that confirms our beliefs gets in and reinforces our beliefs; the stuff that refutes our beliefs gets ignored.

Who knows? This whole barefoot running thing may turn out to be a terrible long-term solution.
;)
Ditto. All my friends are that way, and anthropology is basically a professional commitment to openmindedness.

And yes, I am contemplating Merrell Bare Access / Sketchers Go Bionic shoes as a short-term solution to my renewed TOFP, as a therapeutic option so that I can get in a little more mileage while I build up again. But I would never give up on soleful sensation of barefoot running--just gotta build up more slowly. BF is the default setting for me on anything that isn't too gnarly in terms of terrain or temps.

Reactions: Lomad

;)

Thank you for this kind of honesty and insight. Seriously, i learned something today in a good way! That doesn't mean i'm still not going to be a pain in the a%@ though! I'll just be more open-minded about it ;)

...before bf running, little muscles and definitely feet and tendons were weak.
Would definitely agree with this.

In an earlier thread, I figured that I wasn't able to run with good form like in Dr. Mark Cucuzzella's video due to me being overweight. Watching the recent Olympics, weight and bodytype still appears to have significant bearing, especially at higher levels of sport. However, I'm thinking that internal changes may be important, too.

Particularly with barefoot running, I've observed changes in my feet over time, which started as being cramped, weak, and inflexible. With the 26 bones, 33 joints, and 100+ ligaments in the foot, I'm pretty sure a lot of different changes have occurred. I'm wondering if it's even possible to achieve good form, if those adaptations haven't taken place yet. (Of course, one should try, but being successful may be another thing.) Even at the beginner-intermediate stage, I can still sense that my body and feet are adapting to the demands placed on it. Slow and steady seems to be key.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090